Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to suggest that teams or recruiters are immune from criticism, but WCE's delistings announced today provide some timely perspective.

Kurt Mutimer - played four matches over four seasons
Keegan Brooksby - recruited as pre-season rookie, didn't play a single match
Matthew Allen - didn't play AFL in four seasons

So, a club that won a premiership just 13 months ago still has plenty of deadwood (all due respect to these guys to making it to AFL level, mind you).

Everyone has their share of misses. By all means, scrutinise SOS but do so with context.
Every team has to make delistings every year.. The Eagles won a flag a year ago, what point exactly are you trying to make here?

Right up there with Aaron Joseph taking Gary Ablett to the cleaners

On a different level, but I will always have a soft spot for Gibbs destroying Goodes at his peak....

Every team has to make delistings every year.. The Eagles won a flag a year ago, what point exactly are you trying to make here?

I thought my point was pretty clear.

The Eagles have a flag winning list and still have their share of misses.

We've churned through plenty of ordinary players in the last 4 years. But no-one is immune to picking spuds.

But at least our failures were super cheap and were given the flick quickly when they weren't good enough. Maybe not perfect talent identification, but at least it's good list management.

I thought my point was pretty clear.
The Eagles have a flag winning list and still have their share of misses.
We've churned through plenty of ordinary players in the last 4 years. But no-one is immune to picking spuds.
But at least our failures were super cheap and were given the flick quickly when they weren't good enough. Maybe not perfect talent identification, but at least it's good list management.

It's not just about the misses though, as it's clear that 44 players doesn't fit into 22.
It's about having 'little hits' along the way, that add to the whole and we just haven't had them.

What's worse though, is that we haven't even trying adding to what was needed. This has been my beef for a few years now.
Adding surplus KPD's and HBF's doesn't fix our forward needs.

People here were saying that was the last little piece of the puzzle and some even said we didn't need these types...but guess what? We did and that was evident for the players we targeted but to have fixed such a gaping hole in the one hit was ambitious and it just didn't pay off. This was a blunder. It just was.

Next thing you will be telling me we have depth:eek:

Given Schumaker didn't get another year, I will be surprised if Finbar survives the cut next year.

Just pointing out that we're (hopefully) past the stage of needing to just pump senior games into kids in the hopes they'd develop quickly.

Don't think the Schuey parallel means much either. We don't know why he was cut, for all we know he failed to impress with training standards or expected developmental KPIs, or their position was deemed to be one we no longer needed to develop a project player in, or any number of factors. Just because one skinny kid gets cut doesn't mean we won't be patient with another provided they meet the goals set for them.

Haven't seen much of Finbar, so I'm just talking hypotheticals here. From what I have seen and heard, he's a pretty different profile to most of our list. A bit of a Gunston type? That's a good card to have up our sleeve in a few years if he develops well, and if he doesn't, so be it, cost peanuts.

Adelaide – Murphy, Greenwood
Brisbane – McInerney
Collingwood – Appleby, Mihocek,
Essendon – Tipungwuti
Fremantle – Duman, Banfield, Hughes,
Geelong – Henry, Guthrie, Atkins, Parsons
Suns – Macpherson, Holman,
GWS – Lloyd
Hawks – Cousins,
Melbourne – Wagner
North – Zurhaar
Port Adelaide – Houston
Richmond – Baker, Stack, Pickett
Saints – Marshall, Wilkie,
Swans – Papley, Fox
Eagles –
Dogs – Young,

Just as an example, although maybe not a great one, given I've dropped some names in that may have bee redrafted, but nevertheless, it shows there were players in the rookie drafts that haven't been too bad for their respective clubs, to date. This are from 2015 onwards.
It's still early and more may come through the rookie listed players as time goes on, but all given we have nothing to show....nothing.
Only maybe Gibbons who was taken as an after-thought anyway and not in the rookie draft proper.

Whether it be poor recruitment, poor development, not understanding the coach, whatever.......it doesn't make for a good picture.

It's not just about the misses though, as it's clear that 44 players doesn't fit into 22.
It's about having 'little hits' along the way, that add to the whole and we just haven't had them.

What's worse though, is that we haven't even trying adding to what was needed. This has been my beef for a few years now.
Adding surplus KPD's and HBF's doesn't fix our forward needs.

People here were saying that was the last little piece of the puzzle and some even said we didn't need these types...but guess what? We did and that was evident for the players we targeted but to have fixed such a gaping hole in the one hit was ambitious and it just didn't pay off. This was a blunder. It just was.

You have a very valid point. And you have been very vocal over the journey about picking 'the right player for Carlton' rather than just best talent at all times.

I guess you can't get every pick right, but at least don't pick an 'unsuitable' player that is doomed from the start due to poor fit.

I think it's right to question some of our selections on those grounds, but as I am not a club insider, I don't go too hard.

Goddard made no sense, but perhaps we were worried Marchbank's neck injury wouldn't recover.

Our lack of small forwards left a gaping hole in the list, but perhaps we were already in the ear of Papley (and to a lesser extent, Martin).

But yes, without extenuating circumstances, a few of our recruits have been head-scratchers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton haven't just been building a list, they have been building a culture. A lot of rookie listed players end up there because they have issues. People keep using players as examples who are not a good fit for a club trying to build a culture.

Our late round pick drafting, while it could be better is not terrible, it's average, it's been screwed by injuries.

Our late round picks and mature player selection is no different to Richmond in their early days and things worked out just fine for them. Like us they rebuilt heavily with early picks and were focused on building a culture. Their rebuild plan and path was similar to Hawthorns and ours is similar to theirs. We're just mid way through ours and are coming from a slightly lower base.

I tour complaining and that is showing a lack of understanding of both how to achieve what we are achieving and what that means you can and can't do and understanding of where we are at. I think a lot of us on here are getting ahead of ourselves and impatient.

We're still two drafts away from the finished product. That was nearly fast tracked this year but a few players fell through. Not our fault, it just happened that way and while frustrating, I wouldn't worry about it, we'll have our day.

The small forward issue is blown way out of proportion. We recruited a few talented small forward who's careers fell over due to injury and retirement. Wright was handy but retired. Pickett and Sumner had talent but their bodies let them down. Cuningham is a talented small forward but he's been injury prone. Gibbons is not bad in this role. We will get our small forwards despite all this and it's a fact that a lot of sides who have won premierships didn't get their small forwards in until the last two drafts of their rebuild. Focusing on them last is common sense. It's what the best teams have done. It's what we are doing and it will work out very well unless the bad luck continues.

There's no reason to be hitting the panic buttons here. We are still on track. We are bringing in enough talent per season. We just need to finish off strongly.

Ne
Not to suggest that teams or recruiters are immune from criticism, but WCE's delistings announced today provide some timely perspective.

Kurt Mutimer - played four matches over four seasons
Keegan Brooksby - recruited as pre-season rookie, didn't play a single match
Matthew Allen - didn't play AFL in four seasons

So, a club that won a premiership just 13 months ago still has plenty of deadwood (all due respect to these guys to making it to AFL level, mind you).

Everyone has their share of misses. By all means, scrutinise SOS but do so with context.
Never heard of those guys before. And while we scrutinise our late picks not coming on I assure you most have never heard of our guys either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back