Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. A lot of people forget just how good he was when he was 100% focused on MMA.
IF he could beat Gaethje/Cerrone , Diaz/Masdival & then Khabib twice (would need to win trilogy as well) he would put himself back in the GOAT conversation.
Lol no.

Jon Jones has never lost a pro UFC fight, defended his title ~10 times and beaten other legends such as Machida, Sonnen, Cormier, Belfort, Evans etc. Not a comparison at all.

Haha literally if Adesanya went up and beat Jones he'd already have a better record than McGregor lol

Lol no.

Jon Jones has never lost a pro UFC fight, defended his title ~10 times and beaten other legends such as Machida, Sonnen, Cormier, Belfort, Evans etc. Not a comparison at all.

Haha literally if Adesanya went up and beat Jones he'd already have a better record than McGregor lol
Jones’ record is actually stupendously good, people don’t even give him the credit for it. Khabib seems to be seen at the same level I know he’s undefeated but it’s 2 defenses to like 10.

the obvious question mark on jones is all the drug stuff. If you disregard that it has to be undisputed.

Jones’ record is actually stupendously good, people don’t even give him the credit for it. Khabib seems to be seen at the same level I know he’s undefeated but it’s 2 defenses to like 10.

the obvious question mark on jones is all the drug stuff. If you disregard that it has to be undisputed.
If he was a clean skin like GSP or Johnson there wouldn't even be a second debate. I think if you watch Jones it's hard to come up with a credible argument that anything performance enhancing has substantially helped his career. His pace wasn't too much for people like TJ and he wasn't holding down blokes like Hunt down for fun like Brock Lesnar.

If you believe he beat Daniel Cormier without much training and doing cocaine all weekend, beat Gustafsson the same way lol dudes a freak.

Jones has choked out Machida, TKOd Cormier submitted Jackson Bater and Belfort and won decisions.

Putting McGregor anywhere near him is embarassing

If he was a clean skin like GSP or Johnson there wouldn't even be a second debate. I think if you watch Jones it's hard to come up with a credible argument that anything performance enhancing has substantially helped his career. His pace wasn't too much for people like TJ and he wasn't holding down blokes like Hunt down for fun like Brock Lesnar.

If you believe he beat Daniel Cormier without much training and doing cocaine all weekend, beat Gustafsson the same way lol dudes a freak.

Jones has choked out Machida, TKOd Cormier submitted Jackson Bater and Belfort and won decisions.

Putting McGregor anywhere near him is embarrassing
I think the Jones era is coming to an end within 3 fights. He's looked more human with every fight lately.

People have been expecting his downfall for a long time but he should never have problems with Smith and Santos. Easy takedown and GnP finish 4-5 years ago. Probably inside 2

Putting McGregor anywhere near him is embarassing
I can’t agree with it wouldn’t have helped him because of his fighting style.

It can make you hit harder and take bigger shots.

I think the Jones era is coming to an end within 3 fights. He's looked more human with every fight lately.

People have been expecting his downfall for a long time but he should never have problems with Smith and Santos. Easy takedown and GnP finish 4-5 years ago. Probably inside 2

He didn't look like he had any problems with Smith to me. And Santos surely he could have TD and GnP but he wanted to stand with him for some reason. But other than that I agree, he'll end up losing at some point soon, might happen out of nowhere, no reason Reyes couldn't knock his block off.

He didn't look like he had any problems with Smith to me. And Santos surely he could have TD and GnP but he wanted to stand with him for some reason. But other than that I agree, he'll end up losing at some point soon, might happen out of nowhere, no reason Reyes couldn't knock his block off.
Smith was never winning but Jones should be getting guys of that caliber out ITD.

Didn't quite a few score the fight for Santos (from memory?) and he had torn ACL, MCL etc. That was an awful look for Jones

Smith was never winning but Jones should be getting guys of that caliber out ITD.

Didn't quite a few score the fight for Santos (from memory?) and he had torn ACL, MCL etc. That was an awful look for Jones

Smith was beaten badly and has since gone on to beat Gustafsson by finish in Sweden. I struggle to see how you can call that win a bad look.

The Santos fight was closer than most expected, but he stood and traded (albeit cautiously) for 5 rounds with an explosive striker. He's fought in guys areas of expertise before to beat them before (out-wrestled Cormier in the first fight, stood with Glover for all 5 rounds) and it appeared that he wanted to do the same against Santos. It was far from his best performance, but I don't think it's a sign that his dominance is coming to an end. The contenders at 205 are still either underwhelming (Volkan, Smith, Anderson) or young and reasonably untested (Reyes, Walker, Rakic). He could potentially lose to one of those guys, but I wouldn't have him as an underdog in any of them.

Can't wait to see the campaigner back. Love him or hate him ( which I do, both ) he's a great draw card. The biggest in MMA if not in the world of sport.

As for that hit on the old fella which some have referenced a few pages back it wasn't a king hit but he certainly put everything he had into it. He just wasn't in the right position to land a more solid blow. Dumb, silly, understandable yet inexcusable.

He'd have no chance vs a Khabib etc. But he's not fighting him so he can get the job done. Not sure if he will beat Gaethje and I'd favor him more against Cowboy. Both fights could go either way stating the obvious.

Look forward to seeing him back though and the UFC will make a truck load of cash as usual.

I could have seen Santos winning that fight on the cards but wouldn't say it was a bad look for Jones, he stood with a very experienced striker and still (arguably) won. A TD and elbows could have finished it, at this point Jones seems to be trying to challenge himself, and I'd say it will bring him undone at some point.

I could have seen Santos winning that fight on the cards but wouldn't say it was a bad look for Jones, he stood with a very experienced striker and still (arguably) won. A TD and elbows could have finished it, at this point Jones seems to be trying to challenge himself, and I'd say it will bring him undone at some point.
A TD and finish via elbows within 2 rounds would have proved how good he is. People are stuffing his attempts now and he has very little punching power which will be his downfall.

I think saying he wants to test himself is a bit of a copout tbh.

A TD and finish via elbows within 2 rounds would have proved how good he is. People are stuffing his attempts now and he has very little punching power which will be his downfall.

I think saying he wants to test himself is a bit of a copout tbh.

Well fair enough, agree to disagree. I actually don’t remember if he went for any TDs in the fight,I’m really just assuming he could have taken him down given who he has outwrestled in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well fair enough, agree to disagree. I actually don’t remember if he went for any TDs in the fight,I’m really just assuming he could have taken him down given who he has outwrestled in the past.
Thats what im saying. He used to just take guys down at will and GnP tko. Guys can stop it now, maybe hes lost some explosiveness, im not sure. Hes still the greatest weve ever seen but hes slowing IMO.

Id like to see him go up to HW if Stipe has the belt. He isnt too big so its winnable. Has to go up before Ngannou or someone 265+ lbs holds the belt...

Yep. A lot of people forget just how good he was when he was 100% focused on MMA.
IF he could beat Gaethje/Cerrone , Diaz/Masdival & then Khabib twice (would need to win trilogy as well) he would put himself back in the GOAT conversation.
no chance in hell even getting close to Goat never was never will be

Can't wait to see the campaigner back. Love him or hate him ( which I do, both ) he's a great draw card. The biggest in MMA if not in the world of sport.

As for that hit on the old fella which some have referenced a few pages back it wasn't a king hit but he certainly put everything he had into it. He just wasn't in the right position to land a more solid blow. Dumb, silly, understandable yet inexcusable.

He'd have no chance vs a Khabib etc. But he's not fighting him so he can get the job done. Not sure if he will beat Gaethje and I'd favor him more against Cowboy. Both fights could go either way stating the obvious.

Look forward to seeing him back though and the UFC will make a truck load of cash as usual.
bloke not looking at him and expecting to be hit

That is the exact description of a king hit

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

McGregor has never cared about being the GOAT. All he needs is the perception of being the GOAT, which is why he should have retired. A loss will be devastating to him. I'd back him to beat a lot of world class fighters, but if you look on his socials he's travelling, promoting, etc. every other day now. Can't be training as much as his peers, even if he says he is.

Dana White has confirmed it is Cowboy they are trying to organise for the fight

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Wonder if McGregor will be the disrespectful campaigner that stormed the UFC or try and rebuild his image with some more respectful pre fight talk. Not sure he will have many fans if he starts s**t talking Cowboy.

Wonder if McGregor will be the disrespectful campaigner that stormed the UFC or try and rebuild his image with some more respectful pre fight talk. Not sure he will have many fans if he starts s**t talking Cowboy.
Cowboy could have a majority of the crowd on his side

So they are going to give McGregor a 36yo who has lost his last two fights?

I like it. No excuses for McGregor. He should win and I predict he will win.

And if he loses this, maybe it is time to box Manny Pacquiao or some s**t, do they drink whiskey in the Philipines?

thought this was interesting:

He'd be tailor-made for Conor. He doesn't use his wrestling. Is a brawler. Can take a hit. Suspect cardio

Only worry is the leg kicks but we heard that with Aldo too. I think he'd get picked apart like Alvarez was and the gulf in striking would stick out. Unlike Cowboy he's got a bit of hype behind him now too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back