News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope - Roo was pretty clear on radio. Didn’t want one. He even went further and said Nicks wanted less voices and to give more responsibility to his line coaches.

So the sell is not just the decision, but the carefully thought out rationale for the decision.

The fact is we’ve gone from:
Searching for a Snr assistant; to
He may not want one; to
He doesn’t want one and here are the reasons...

We haven’t been able to find or get who he wanted - so just say that.

Why make up such garbage
Why are you assuming it's garbage? That's a perfectly valid reason for not wanting a senior coach IMO. Remember the mixed messaging Gibbs was talking about when he was getting feedback from Godden, Campo and Pyke and had to have it paired back to a 1-1 basis?

If Nicks knows what he wants and the assistants are on-board, why do you need another coach in the mix? I'd say it's fairly similar to Brisbane's set-up. No senior assistant coach/DoC or anything like that, with a heavy expectation on the assistants to be running things without constant meddling by the head coach. There's been articles before about how Fagan doesn't run training sessions and expects the assistants and players to have enough maturity and responsibility to complete those things while he asses things on the sidelines.

I would say all development coaches are ex players. but I would not say no to Otten playing the Wright role and Wright moving into full time development coach.
From what we hear, Otten is a great bloke and has potential as a coach.

However, I'd much prefer him to spend 5 or 6 years away from the club and see some new ways of doing things before he coaches back at the club.

I don't know if they are interested or if they have the right personality, but in terms of playing experience, I like the idea of having Scott Selwood, Tyson Goldsack, Heath Grundy type at the club in a development role

From what we hear, Otten is a great bloke and has potential as a coach.

However, I'd much prefer him to spend 5 or 6 years away from the club and see some new ways of doing things before he coaches back at the club.

I don't know if they are interested or if they have the right personality, but in terms of playing experience, I like the idea of having Scott Selwood, Tyson Goldsack, Heath Grundy type at the club in a development role

Otten will go OK and he has been thru sevral differant coaching set ups at the Crows, so he has a gained lot of differant views from sevral Coaches,

Why not make Wright the forwards coach, move Porps into Wright's role and make Hart the runner?

Why are you assuming it's garbage? That's a perfectly valid reason for not wanting a senior coach IMO. Remember the mixed messaging Gibbs was talking about when he was getting feedback from Godden, Campo and Pyke and had to have it paired back to a 1-1 basis?

If Nicks knows what he wants and the assistants are on-board, why do you need another coach in the mix? I'd say it's fairly similar to Brisbane's set-up. No senior assistant coach/DoC or anything like that, with a heavy expectation on the assistants to be running things without constant meddling by the head coach. There's been articles before about how Fagan doesn't run training sessions and expects the assistants and players to have enough maturity and responsibility to complete those things while he asses things on the sidelines.
I’m assuming it’s garbage by way of a fairly simple joining of dots on the sequence of events ....as I set them out.

We started out with the intention of seeking a senior assistant. Clearly whoever we wanted was not available. Now we’ve changed the narrative.

It may well work as you’ve suggested. Time will tell. But I would have preferred a simple statement that we can’t fill the position so we will go without and here are the benefits. That’s a whole of management position.

What they’ve done is make it Nicks’ call to not have one, which I personally don’t believe. So the Teflon for Roo, Chappy and Fagan remains.

I’m assuming it’s garbage by way of a fairly simple joining of dots on the sequence of events ....as I set them out.

We started out with the intention of seeking a senior assistant. Clearly whoever we wanted was not available. Now we’ve changed the narrative.

It may well work as you’ve suggested. Time will tell. But I would have preferred a simple statement that we can’t fill the position so we will go without and here are the benefits. That’s a whole of management position.

What they’ve done is make it Nicks’ call to not have one, which I personally don’t believe. So the Teflon for Roo, Chappy and Fagan remains.
Why don't you ask Nicks, Maybe he would prefer an extra development coach to help with the kids, like he has mentioned a few weeks ago, or maybe he would prefer an opposition stragey coach, Is having a senior assitant coach that important.
And when they grab an extra development coach or a opposition stragery coach, what will poeple say, will they blame the crows for not getting a senior assitant and settling for 2nd best even if that what Nicks wanted.
Again if you are not happy Go ask Nicks what his views are.

Why don't you ask Nicks, Maybe he would prefer an extra development coach to help with the kids, like he has mentioned a few weeks ago, or maybe he would prefer an opposition stragey coach, Is having a senior assitant coach that important.
And when they grab an extra development coach or a opposition stragery coach, what will poeple say, will they blame the crows for not getting a senior assitant and settling for 2nd best even if that what Nicks wanted.
Again if you are not happy Go ask Nicks what his views are.
Oh sure, I have his number in my contacts so I’ll flick him a text message and get back to you

You'll have to find where they said we'd definitely get one as all the talk I remember was Nicks getting his say in how we would structure the coaching department and if he wanted a senior assistant we'd find someone for the role.

If he doesn't want one, why would we say we can't fill the position?

The "fact" the club is selling us is that Nicks said No Thank You when asked if he'd like a quality right hand man.

No, the spin is you using the phrase "selling us".

Maybe he doesn't want one. Maybe we're broke and can't afford one. Maybe no one Nicks likes is available. Maybe he has someone in mind and they can't come until 2021. Maybe we want to invest in development coaches. Maybe we don't.

Who the f*** knows. What you assume is true is as revealing of you as anything else, because there's no further insight to be gained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see some positives in not having a senior assistant year one, learn every part of what being a senior coach in and in particular what parts you need assistance with, or want to delegate too, then hire someone who suits those roles.

That said, it's going to require a lot of honesty, and able to properly reflect on the first half of the season in particular. I'd also be very critical of the club come 2021 if we didn't have a senior assistant.

Oh sure, I have his number in my contacts so I’ll flick him a text message and get back to you

Nicks at this time is not shying away from supporters when they talk to him, I have been lucky to talk to him twice since he was made Coach of the Crows. And can tell you you are on the wrong path.

No, the spin is you using the phrase "selling us".

Maybe he doesn't want one. Maybe we're broke and can't afford one. Maybe no one Nicks likes is available. Maybe he has someone in mind and they can't come until 2021. Maybe we want to invest in development coaches. Maybe we don't.

Who the f*** knows. What you assume is true is as revealing of you as anything else, because there's no further insight to be gained.
So maybe Matthew Nicks who we identified as our standout senior coaching option who just last season was the Senior Assistant Coach at GWS thinks that Senior Assistant Coaches are a waste of time and we don't need one...?

He was Senior Assistant Coach to Leon Cameron who was himself appointed as GWS' coach after serving as their
Senior Assistant Coach

What dunderheads we are, appointing a guy as coach who walked into a job that he considers a needless, waste of time role. If he had the power he'd have fired himself no doubt.

Not sure if you read my first post as you repeated half of it

Already pinning things on the new guy

Didn't 'want' a senior assistant... because we've spent all our money on payouts to sacked, long term contracted duds and are too late to get anyone he'd really want anyway so have to hold off for 12 months.

We presented the low shelf options to him and he decided he didn't want any of them.

Spin has survived the review.

How about admit we're going through a major, ongoing off field overhaul and that it will take more than 12 months to put the new team together

Remove this Banner Ad

Back