List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Bergman so dont mind if we go for him, but I cannot see us taking De Koning or Jones. They just don't fit with our strategy of trading up.

Carlton ITK saying that we're one of 3 clubs after pick 9 (GC and Cats the others)

Could live with a 16/18 for 9 and future pick I think

I could believe we have spoken to De Koning and Jones to pick one if we miss out on Worrell. But not pick both as first choice.

Carlton ITK saying that we're one of 3 clubs after pick 9 (GC and Cats the others)

I’d be ok with that

Stephens at 9
Worrell or Kemp at 12
Mead third round
Then a late pick

Then again, the Cats and Suns would be in a better position than us, we traded our future 1st to Brisbane, Cats have West Coasts future 1st due to the Tim Kelly grade, GC have pick 11 as part of their rescue package

Realistically it would be pick 12 + 16/18 for pick 9 straight up.

Pick 6 = 12 + 16 when Saints traded it out. To trade back up and beat the other bidding clubs we will have to pay a premium.

Twomey is surely taking the piss. We trade out a future first rounder and Dougal Howard only to draft 2 players that are 2nd rounders at best. I guess he really had to work it so Worrell ended up at Geelong at 19. What a mess.

I’d be ok with that

Stephens at 9
Worrell or Kemp at 12
Mead third round
Then a late pick

Then again, the Cats and Suns would be in a better position than us, we traded our future 1st to Brisbane, Cats have West Coasts future 1st due to the Tim Kelly grade, GC have pick 11 as part of their rescue package
But do Carlton want next year picks or this year picks?

Does the ITK mention any pick coming back other than 9. I’m thinking that we’d be lucky to get anything the way these things work with pick upgrades

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of genuine KPDs we have Clurey, Jonas and Grundy (who is barely SANFL reserves level). We then have a bunch of quasi-talls like Burton, McKenzie (substandard) and Lienert (substandard). Any injuries to Clurey or Jonas over the next few years and we are completely stuffed.

Tall defenders is absolutely a need for us at the moment. The real question is whether taking them in this draft is the way to go given the available talent. Consensus seems to be that Worrell is an appropriate pick at our selections so I think taking him would be a good addition. Apparently next years draft is rubbish for talls so maybe taking a KPD here is a good decision.
It is a need for us long term, but our best 22 has good enough key defenders, and we have enough depth to cover this year. Burton can play as a genuine key back, so can Watts, then we have Clurey and Jonas. Then if injuries strike we have Lienert, Westhoff and McKenzie if we're desperate. That's a heap of coverage.

On the other hand we have 2 key forwards and 2 resting ruck fwds.

Our midfield needs best 22 replacements for players immediately, and our forward line has small forward holes as we speak.

Our 3 picks should be trying to improve our best 22, and that should be with mids with pace, and or small fwds/mids. Then a tall forward would be nice.

It has to be
12- Kemp/Stephens/Serong
16- Worrell/Gould
18- Bergman or another small/medium forward

Now if Worrell or Gould are gone by 16 we probably take a Bergman there and go for a reach with De Konning at 18. If no one slides to us I’ve got no clue what we do, I’d probably just take Worrell with 12.

It is a need for us long term, but our best 22 has good enough key defenders, and we have enough depth to cover this year. Burton can play as a genuine key back, so can Watts, then we have Clurey and Jonas. Then if injuries strike we have Lienert, Westhoff and McKenzie if we're desperate. That's a heap of coverage.

On the other hand we have 2 key forwards and 2 resting ruck fwds.

Our midfield needs best 22 replacements for players immediately, and our forward line has small forward holes as we speak.

Our 3 picks should be trying to improve our best 22, and that should be with mids with pace, and or small fwds/mids. Then a tall forward would be nice.
I would argue that last year we filled the mids with pace hole with Rozee, Butters and Duursma. I agree with you about small/medium forwards - I'd like to see us draft a Bergman/Williams/Taheny/Weightman type.

There are no tall forwards in this draft worth taking with our picks so that is out of the question but I agree it is a massive gaping hole on our list (as usual).

I question Burton as a genuine key defender at 191 cm and Watts hasn't really proven much as a defender at all.

I think at 12 we should be going best available, and then with 16 or 18 get a tall defender if there is one on the board we like.

Howard, Ryder and 10 for 9 and a 1 round upgrade in the 2020 draft.....
All together-
10, 29, Future First, Howard, Ryder for 9, 16 and a one round upgrade in 2020
Realistically Ryder is only worth the upgrade that's why I didn't include him

But yeah, as much as I can see why it just proves how poor we traded with Saints. Surely a low 20s with the 3rd to 4th rounder upgrade and not touching 10 would've been better in the long run

Bergman at 12 is a Marshall at 14 pick.

The sort of pick you do when you know that the three clubs picking after you won't pick Kemp and you can get him at 16. I mean, I rate Bergman a lot...but he's not Kemp.

How I see it going down is like this:

We pick Bergman at 12 because we know that the Dogs, Geelong and Gold Coast are into him, but they are into different players with their second choice.

Bulldogs bid on Henry and pick Weightman.

Geelong picks Worrell because they want to make sure they get the better of Worrell and DeKoning (this is the reason we needed to get ahead of Geelong at 17).

Gold Coast takes Robertson.

Port takes Kemp.

Geelong takes someone like Bianco.

Port takes DeKoning.

I have spoken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back