Prediction Disappointment at the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo wont give up any picks and traded down so that they could get selections in before clubs went for henry. 2 top 10 picks and henry is pretty amazing for them. I believe they have 2-3 other good academy players that they will be matching bids on even if they go into deficit in 2020.

Yes but the prospect of getting pick 8 back and keeping Melbourne's first next year is worth any amount of baseless speculation.

Wont happen unless we get a decent small forward in.

Small forwards will be countered by next season. Teams will be working their way around them.

Hard bastard medium forwards who can take contested marks and swing thru the middle occasionally (and hard bastard mids who can do the same forward) are the future, especially with Larkey and Brown and players who do skills work at training delivering into the forward 50.

Cant wait to hear all the currently sad fans changing their tunes next year with the two first rounders. If you can hold on that long.
You've been around here long enough to know that the concept of 'long term' for many posters is about 36 hours.
They'll still be drunk from post flag celebrations.
I suspect most of them aren't old enough to drink. In fact, many of them would still need to ask mum and dad for permission to have a special fizzy drink from the fridge.

Freo wont give up any picks and traded down so that they could get selections in before clubs went for henry. 2 top 10 picks and henry is pretty amazing for them. I believe they have 2-3 other good academy players that they will be matching bids on even if they go into deficit in 2020.
After pick 8, Freo only have 509 points left to match a bid on Henry. An end of first round bid costs them 800+. If I was in their shoes I'd rather cover it with a future 2nd than go into a big deficit on next year's 1st. Get on board the death ride train.

Not trying to be too negative but with Father sons and Academy players our earliest pick at 26 will most likely be a pick 30-31- unless we trade up, but then why did we trade pick 8 to begin with.
At this point most/all of the household names we've been hearing about in the draft will be taken so be prepared to wonder who these players are that we're choosing.
It also means that we're likely getting the 'leftovers' at the draft. Obviously they may be good players and some clubs may have later first picks than us but apart from that the majority of the league is at least picking 1 player before north. In essence for key position fillers such as small forward, tall forward, tall defender and pacey mid we're most likely going to get the 3-4th best player in that position who's been overlooked by other clubs looking with similar needs to north.

I see north needing speed this draft with a replacement as tall defender for thompson's spot or at least someone to back up durdin or majak incase they get injured.
1-2 Small x factor speedy forwards, 1-2 pacey gun mids and a tall defender is what I'm hoping for come friday morning.

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts and provide conversation; please don't be abusive just because my opinion is different than yours.

Your posting history so far is pretty much negative.

You'll fit in well around here.

Cant wait to hear all the currently sad fans changing their tunes next year with the two first rounders. If you can hold on that long.
Yeah some people still can't get their collective heads around this. They somehow think we threw our first rounder at Melbourne like it was some sort of GOFUNDME charity donation with nothing in return haha.. never change bigfooty, never change..

Not trying to be too negative but with Father sons and Academy players our earliest pick at 26 will most likely be a pick 30-31- unless we trade up, but then why did we trade pick 8 to begin with.
At this point most/all of the household names we've been hearing about in the draft will be taken so be prepared to wonder who these players are that we're choosing.
It also means that we're likely getting the 'leftovers' at the draft. Obviously they may be good players and some clubs may have later first picks than us but apart from that the majority of the league is at least picking 1 player before north. In essence for key position fillers such as small forward, tall forward, tall defender and pacey mid we're most likely going to get the 3-4th best player in that position who's been overlooked by other clubs looking with similar needs to north.

I see north needing speed this draft with a replacement as tall defender for thompson's spot or at least someone to back up durdin or majak incase they get injured.
1-2 Small x factor speedy forwards, 1-2 pacey gun mids and a tall defender is what I'm hoping for come friday morning.

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts and provide conversation; please don't be abusive just because my opinion is different than yours.

We need these guys to slide big time...

Pick 26 - Pizza
Pick 27 - Barbecue
Pick 30 - Savoury
Pick 47 - Cheddar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually hope we use them for current players or trade down for multiple 2nd rounders. We're going to have heaps of list space next year and only 2 first rounders and a few 4th atm. So need to make up the list space or numbers.
That would be the absolute worst strategy for the draft next year. 10 out of the top 30 next year will be FS or NGA, 2nd and 3rd rounders will be worth way less than usual. We may actually see a situation where our pair of 4th rounders move up considerably due to teams using up their picks for bids.

Early 1st rounders will be gold, with teams desperate to trade up ahead of bids, just like Freo and GWS did this year, except with multiple teams trying. If Melbourne hand us a top 5 pick we are gonna have an awesome hand the draft.

I sense some self preservation at play here. Sliding back takes the pressure of Finnigan and his crew. They'd be twitching over another LDU. I'm quite meh about sliding back as at best, you're going to find some good, solid footballers in the 30s, whereas we need game changers.

I sense some self preservation at play here. Sliding back takes the pressure of Finnigan and his crew. They'd be twitching over another LDU. I'm quite meh about sliding back as at best, you're going to find some good, solid footballers in the 30s, whereas we need game changers.
You should tell the club about your "game changers" strategy.

Dare i ask, what do you mean by "another LDU"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back