Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Not too thrilled. Needed an inside mid, got an outside mid who does not find that much of the ball and who "may" be able to play inside, but is not really proven.
Although Kennedy is ageing we still have Parker, Hewitt, Rowbottom and even Florent to take up that role. I don't think we are as lacking on the inside as some here might think.

The pick does make sense the more I think about it, though I'd still prefer Kemp or Young.

We don't need inside mids as much as we need inside mids to be smarter and start using the players available to them on the outside. Stephens is very good at finding and using space in attacking, creative ways. If we find ways to actually bring him into the game he'll be a massive asset for us.

Stephens' pace and class on the outside will also mean that Florent, who is Extremely Limited, can play on the inside where he's more suited.
I disagree about Florent. Late in the season he showed he could break into space and use his pace. The guy is still very young

Sorry for the intrusion...but Stephens certainly can win a lot of the ball, he'd be in that higher echelon of possession once he is fully mature make no bones about that. Destroyed Under 18's regularly getting 30+ was just too good for that level. More than held his own at SANFL league level despite not even playing full games at times. He'll be a 25-30 ppg type and be able to win his own ball to a decent level for an outside type, he's probably got a lot more inside attributes than many give him credit for. Once his body is mature in 3-4 years that will shine through. Fine pick at 5.

Sorry for the intrusion...but Stephens certainly can win a lot of the ball, he'd be in that higher echelon of possession once he is fully mature make no bones about that. Destroyed Under 18's regularly getting 30+ was just too good for that level. More than held his own at SANFL league level despite not even playing full games at times. He'll be a 25-30 ppg type and be able to win his own ball to a decent level for an outside type, he's probably got a lot more inside attributes than many give him credit for. Once his body is mature in 3-4 years that will shine through. Fine pick at 5.
No need to apologise. You're not intruding when you feed us good stuff.

I disagree about Florent. Late in the season he showed he could break into space and use his pace. The guy is still very young

Yep, but starting on the inside and using his pace to create space. When he's on the outside already in space is when he seems to have the most trouble getting into the game (though I still contribute that more to our inside mids)

And here's a more extended highlights reel. Evidently loves a goal on the run (there were actually a few equally as impressive ones I remember watching that didn't make the cut for some reason) and his agility and pace off one step is bloody impressive.

Interesting that the highlights on the Swans site seemed to focus on his inside work as if to reassure any doubters that he had a good contested game too.

Don't be so negative. From the Swans website:

He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match against the Allies, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with 2019 AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. He also progressed to play some excellent football at senior level with Norwood averaging, 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches.

Get excited!

I like those tackle numbers for a skinny wingman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately i may be a sceptic.

If he is a Dalrymple selection I am happy as but if a Beatson selection I will have to wait for 3 years to judge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

But you can't be crook at us because we've only had one pick early & we identified another need.

Yep whilst we need insides there are so many left in the second round. Not a position we need to overpay

Here's another interview from earlier this year, seems like a great lad with his head screwed on properly

Ps. that LJ kid should be the only person allowed to interview AFL players ever at any time

Thanks for that Caesar, great get.
What a great interview - from both the interviewer and his subject. Dylan said everything a fan could want to hear from a possible recruit :thumbsu:

Inb4 florent requests a trade because Stephen's steals his best friend in Hayward.

This pick has grown on me since it went through. Great mix of speed and endurance, nice skills, willing to back himself in tight, goal kicker, solid head on his shoulder.

It has on me too, though I am still worried about his disposal numbers and his ability on the inside. Still looks like he has a lot of talent though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back