Traded 12. Cooper Stephens (2020-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more than happy to concede Wells, Selwood and Mackie have better judgement than me. I'm also more than happy to back Stephens in. This is from Knightmare's power rankings at the start of the year, before Stephens broke his leg. Reads well.

18. Cooper Stephens
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 187cm, 70kg
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 5-30
Plays like: Taylor Adams
Rationale: One of the premier ball winners of the 2019 crop, Stephens has the production on the board and is one of the most prolific at stoppages.
Strengths: Contested ball winning, distribution by hand, stoppage work, burst of speed from stoppages, acceleration, production.
Weaknesses: Kicking reliability, versatility, scoreboard impact.

Note: he put on 13kgs in the gym this year.

Here's another write up from Draft Central:

Last edited:

So Knightmare says Stephens is a poor kick but Draft Central says he's an above average kick. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Interestingly, Champion Data had him ranked #16 in this draft, which is the pick we took him at. For interests' sake, Kemp was at 21, Day at 29, Weightman at 30.

I'm more than happy to concede Wells, Selwood and Mackie have better judgement than me. I'm also more than happy to back Stephens in. This is from Knightmare's power rankings at the start of the year, before Stephens broke his leg. Reads well.

13 kg is bloody impressive

So what are you basing your appraisal on? Seems more like you are offended a player you preferred (maybe a Kemp or Robertson type) didn't get named. From the article someone posted early. He was considered a potential top 10 pick prior to breaking his leg ... then after that he was worked his arse off to be in the best shape possible and get rid of any doubt it would hinder him.

Now unless you have intimate knowledge of his future and what he will do ... then you have nothing but a crappy attitude to someone who has only just been drafted without ever having played against another AFL team.

Maybe sit on your outrage for a little longer before you go in for the internet kill.

So stating that a player with no standout attribute, a poor-average kick, poor overhead marking and fumbly hands ceiling is most likely a B-Grade player is a crappy attitude is it? Read through my posts, I've wished the kid the best, said he's clearly got a great work ethic to get where he has today and looks like someone who will get the absolute best out of himself. I just don't see anything special and therefore see his ceiling as a B-Grade player in the AFL. Would be absolutely ecstatic to be proven wrong, and I hope that day comes, as stated in my previous posts.

But yeah, I'm clearly just a bloke with a crappy attitude for having a differing opinion to the All mighty Stephen Wells.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting to note he's now also regarded as a good kick

So stating that a player with no standout attribute, a poor-average kick, poor overhead marking and fumbly hands ceiling is most likely a B-Grade player is a crappy attitude is it? Read through my posts, I've wished the kid the best, said he's clearly got a great work ethic to get where he has today and looks like someone who will get the absolute best out of himself. I just don't see anything special and therefore see his ceiling as a B-Grade player in the AFL. Would be absolutely ecstatic to be proven wrong, and I hope that day comes, as stated in my previous posts.

But yeah, I'm clearly just a bloke with a crappy attitude for having a differing opinion to the All mighty Stephen Wells.

What are you basing any of that on? 2mins of footage?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did you think why bother drafting Stewart he will only be a B grader at best?? because you have no idea if he will or wont be a B grader an A grader or a complete flop yet you are using absolutes...

So did you think why bother drafting Stewart he will only be a B grader at best?? because you have no idea if he will or wont be a B grader an A grader or a complete flop yet you are using absolutes...

Do I have to say it a million times? I, yes I, believe he will be a B-Grader at best. It's an opinion, clearly that's not allowed these days though. Does me thinking he's going to be a B-Grader at best mean he absolutely will or won't be? No, and I hope like hell he proves to be better than that. All I have said is in all likelihood (In my opinion, seeing as that's so hard for some of you to grasp) he will be a B-Grader at best and I have given you current facts about why this may be the case. Everyone who seems to have an issue with me saying this only has one response: "Oh well I guess Wells picked him so he must go ok".

Do I have to say it a million times? I, yes I, believe he will be a B-Grader at best. It's an opinion, clearly that's not allowed these days though. Does me thinking he's going to be a B-Grader at best mean he absolutely will or won't be? No, and I hope like hell he proves to be better than that. All I have said is in all likelihood (In my opinion, seeing as that's so hard for some of you to grasp) he will be a B-Grader at best and I have given you current facts about why this may be the case. Everyone who seems to have an issue with me saying this only has one response: "Oh well I guess Wells picked him so he must go ok".

If I had to back in Wells or you it’s not exactly a difficult choice 😂

Have you watched him play live? What have you based your appraisal on? There is very limited footage of him, did you get to see him play last year before injury? Or where does your prediction come from?

Have you watched him play live? What have you based your appraisal on? There is very limited footage of him, did you get to see him play last year before injury? Or where does your prediction come from?

Articles, Opinions from experts and other posters, and my own eye for talent and whether a kid has "It" or not. I have a pretty decent track record with this, whether you choose to believe me or not. I'm a keen follower of the draft so will find every piece of film I can on any possible prospects, as I can't see a large majority live as I'm based in Sydney.

Articles, Opinions from experts and other posters, and my own eye for talent and whether a kid has "It" or not. I have a pretty decent track record with this, whether you choose to believe me or not. I'm a keen follower of the draft so will find every piece of film I can on any possible prospects, as I can't see a large majority live as I'm based in Sydney.

So you haven’t seen him play live. Ever. And come up with a definitive “B Grader” call. I’m sure your “eye for talent” which is based on other people’s opinions would be highly valued Hahahaha

So you haven’t seen him play live. Ever. And come up with a definitive “B Grader” call. I’m sure your “eye for talent” which is based on other people’s opinions would be highly valued Hahahaha

Ok answer me this, what stand out attribute do you see that's going to turn this kid into a star. It's all well and good to have a go at my opinion and then not provide any facts of your own to back yours up. Cowards move pal.

13 kg is bloody impressive

Pffttt.... I have done that before... at least twice in my lifetime. Used to be 90kgs then got married then BANG!!! 104kgs.
Started on the Railways i was 100kgs then BANG!!! 115kgs before i could say "I'll have extra large fries with that ". LOL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back