Will Aker make it as a pro golfer?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
kCeLWdQ.jpg

Aker will head to the Sunshine Coast next week in an attempt to qualify for the professional Australian Tour of golf. He is currently 42 years old and has a handicap of one. Golf is generally pretty kind to athletes of his age (Tiger Woods is 43 and still winning majors) so his age won't be the reason he doesn't make it. Obviously lack of experience in golf goes against him but he has experienced high pressure situations on the big stage before so you would think that would play in his favour in the crucial moments. He also seems to think that being a Queenslander and playing the qualifying tournament in Queensland will help. To be fair to Aker, we have seen athletes from other sports such as tennis player Scott Draper successfully make the switch to professional golf later in life.

So, will Aker make it?

Has a handicap of 1?

Lol. No chance. He's a good 5-6 shots off being good enough to be a tour pro. He's good enough to be a club pro though.

Goddard is a +4 golfer in comparison. Meaning he is generally 5 shots a game better than Aker and gives 4 back to the course.

Much more likely from ex-AFL players.

Has a handicap of 1?

Lol. No chance. He's a good 5-6 shots off being good enough to be a tour pro. He's good enough to be a club pro though.

Goddard is a +4 golfer in comparison. Meaning he is generally 5 shots a game better than Aker and gives 4 back to the course.

Much more likely from ex-AFL players.
Golfers turn pro with higher handicaps than 1, i'm fairly sure Graham Marsh was a 4 handicapper and he did ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golfers turn pro with higher handicaps than 1, i'm fairly sure Graham Marsh was a 4 handicapper and he did ok.

Technically you can.

Almost every tour pro these days are a + golfer.

It's a pity Kim Jong-il didn't turn pro...

He met Park Young-man, who was the country's only golf pro, though even now Ellis isn't sure he actually played golf. The reporter asked Park to name his favorite golfer. Jack Nicklaus? Arnold Palmer? Greg Norman? He'd never heard of any of them. But when Ellis asked Park if he had ever met the "Great Leader" — the recently expired Kim Il-sung — Park said he had not but he had met the "Dear Leader," his son Kim Jong-il.

He proceeded to take Ellis around the course, hole-by-hole, to show him how well Kim Jong-il had played. The first hole was a 374-yard par 4. "Dear Leader Comrade General Kim Jong-il, who I respect from the bottom of my heart, scored two on this hole," Park said. And it went on from there. The worst Kim scored on any hole was a birdie. He finished with a 34.

And, the famous kicker: Kim had five holes-in-one.

"He's an excellent golfer," Park said.

There are guys playing off scratch who can't make it as a pro. A lot of guys over-estimate their abilities and play on easy courses with less length than what pros play on. I shot low rounds at Torquay and Bundoora a few times, but those rounds would probably be disasters at Royal Melbourne. Aker looks to be way off what's needed.

There are guys playing off scratch who can't make it as a pro. A lot of guys over-estimate their abilities and play on easy courses with less length than what pros play on. I shot low rounds at Torquay and Bundoora a few times, but those rounds would probably be disasters at Royal Melbourne. Aker looks to be way off what's needed.
Royal Melbourne is not a long course, but the greens are deadly

Royal Melbourne is not a long course, but the greens are deadly
Get your angles wrong and miss it in the wrong spots are you are in a world of hurt, destined to write in some
huge numbers. The courses in the country are a lot harder, it sits up nice on the sandbelt and oh yeah Aker
not really worth a comment would struggle to make some pennant sides in the city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back