Will Aker make it as a pro golfer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Omg, go away child.

He was a 4 handicapper when he turned pro, comprehend?

I assume not.

Ok then. I am a 14 handicapper and have just now made the snap decision to turn pro.

Therefore I am now a professional golfer.

Is that how it works?

FFS, you might actually be stupid. The Australian PGA won't even admit you to qualifying school until you are playing off 2.4 or better. I even provided the link. So, explain to me how you win prize-money without a tour card. I'll get the popcorn.

You might be talking about mini-golf though, I can't be too sure when dealing with lower IQ levels such as yours.

Last edited:
Ok then. I am a 14 handicapper and have just now made the snap decision to turn pro.

Therefore I am now a professional golfer.

Is that how it works?

FFS, you might actually be stupid. The Australian PGA won't even admit you to qualifying school until you are playing off 2.4 or better. I even provided the link. So, explain to me how you win prize-money without a tour card. I'll get the popcorn.

You might be talking about mini-golf though, I can't be too sure when dealing with lower IQ levels such as yours.
Mate go read about Ian Poulter, don't take my word for it.

He was a 4 handicapper when he turned pro.

I know many golfers who have turned pro at 4 handicap, and unless they have changed the rules, you could always turn pro at 4.

Just because you do, doesn't mean you will make it, no, but some have, and i gave you 2 examples.

kCeLWdQ.jpg

Aker will head to the Sunshine Coast next week in an attempt to qualify for the professional Australian Tour of golf. He is currently 42 years old and has a handicap of one. Golf is generally pretty kind to athletes of his age (Tiger Woods is 43 and still winning majors) so his age won't be the reason he doesn't make it. Obviously lack of experience in golf goes against him but he has experienced high pressure situations on the big stage before so you would think that would play in his favour in the crucial moments. He also seems to think that being a Queenslander and playing the qualifying tournament in Queensland will help. To be fair to Aker, we have seen athletes from other sports such as tennis player Scott Draper successfully make the switch to professional golf later in life.

So, will Aker make it?
Don't have to be a member of a club?
He's fast running out of clubs.

Oh, one other thing. Being a scratch golfer around Albert Park and being a scratch golfer around Royal Melbourne are two very different things.

I used to live near Albert Park and used to get around it in mid to low 80s and was reasonably happy with how I was hitting them.

Got invited by a work colleague to play down at The National and feeling confident to score maybe a 90.

I reckon I shot 120 with lack of course familiarity, wind blowing a gale, and not pretty much every hole being short and straight with flat greens...

Emphasised the gulf between golf on an easy course and a tricky one.

Back on topic, I think Aker has a huge gulf to make up.

As good a footballer as he was.....at golf Aker is s**t

Swings it like a local battler.....he's about 15 shots a round off the pace

Loungelizard.....Not any more mate....most touring pros have a handicap of +4 to +6 now.....so that means they have to shoot four or six under just to shoot par on a standard course...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive Bunk, I am at 3 right now but struggling to get it any better. Play twice a week and practice once a week. Tough game once you get down to a low handicap.
Good effort. Two pro's i know say that the jump from 4 to 3 is the hardest in golf. Harder than going from 11 to 4 or from 3 to scratch

can't find anything that says he was, but i'm sure he was4 not +4

If you want another example, Ian Poulter, I don't think his handicap got any lower than 4 and i'm fairly sure at one stage he was #5 in the world.
Complete bollocks.
Marsh won the WA Junior championships in 1964.
Maybe that was the handicap they had at their local club when they were 14 years old or something and that handicap number stayed because they didn't go back to that club and play after that age.
Would be some quirk like that.

Last edited:
No, i didn't say he was, but he was a self taught golfer who was different.

Most say he was the sweetest striker of the ball who has ever played.

WA junior champion and then RU in Australian Amateur Champs.

You make it sound like he just came out of nowhere and became pro. Which is bollocks.

Complete bollocks.
Marsh won the WA Junior championships in 1964.
Maybe that was the handicap they had at their local club when they were 14 years old or something and that handicap number stayed because they didn't go back to that club and play after that age.
Would be some quirk like that.
Whether it's a quirk or not, he was still a 4 handicapper.

Same with Poulter, he was a 4 handicapper because he couldn't play in comps, but he was still a 4 handicapper.

Whether it's a quirk or not, he was still a 4 handicapper.

Same with Poulter, he was a 4 handicapper because he couldn't play in comps, but he was still a 4 handicapper.

As has been pointed out though, even if he turned pro with a 4 handicap, do you think he would have been successful had he not improved from that mark?

And then, working off the basis that pro's don't have handicaps, give me your best estimate of what mark Poulter was playing off when he was making enough money to make a living actually playing golf? And then your best guess as to what his handicap would have been when he was number 5 in the world?

The questions above, if answered honestly will tell you if a person playing at the same level as a 4 handicapper (given the smoke and mirrors statement that pro's don't have handicaps) could make realistic money playing professional golf.

As has been pointed out though, even if he turned pro with a 4 handicap, do you think he would have been successful had he not improved from that mark?

And then, working off the basis that pro's don't have handicaps, give me your best estimate of what mark Poulter was playing off when he was making enough money to make a living actually playing golf? And then your best guess as to what his handicap would have been when he was number 5 in the world?

The questions above, if answered honestly will tell you if a person playing at the same level as a 4 handicapper (given the smoke and mirrors statement that pro's don't have handicaps) could make realistic money playing professional golf.
To answer your questions:
Any golfer who wins a pro tournament is better than a 4 handicapper.

I would say and any golfer who wins multible pro tournaments would be +4 at the very least.

But that wasn't what i was saying to start with, whether they get better after or even are better before, doesn't change the fact they were off 4 when they turned pro.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back