Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post, and I agree entirely.

Richmond have found themselves in an awesome spot due to a combination of factors: general recession following an era of several very strong teams including a dominant Hawthorn, a team containing 5-6 players all playing at their absolute peak - most noticeably Martin who is arguably the best player in the league currently, a core who were assembled in roughly the same period and have now played a huge amount of footy together, a charmed fixture which includes a significant number of games at the MCG, the Grand Final only being played at the MCG and of course some good luck along the way. (Also it had to be noted now average both of their Grand Final opponents were - GWS getting spanked by 89, and Adelaide missing the finals two years running shows how poor the comp has been the last few years)

They’ve made hail with the squad they’ve got and developed a game plan that holds up in finals and supports the team they are fielding each week (which happens to contain a number of average players, but largely papers over their various deficiencies), but they can be opened up on occasion, and other teams will undoubtably ticker with their game plans specifically to beat them.

Wow.. thats one bitter poster! 12 wins in a row not enough to convince you of their quality , including an 8 goal interstate finalx win.

Actually the vast majority threads I contribute to actually don’t have anything to do with Richmond until some confused Tigers supporter comes in and has to establish an erroneous position on, or make a tenuous comparison with... The Tigers.

The amount of threads that get derailed by neurotic, attention-deprived Richmond supporters, you’d think you might be able to accept some heat in the opposite direction.

alwaysmake comparisons to the best, happens in everything

Actually the vast majority threads I contribute to actually don’t have anything to do with Richmond until some confused Tigers supporter comes in and has to establish an erroneous position on, or make a tenuous comparison with... The Tigers.

The amount of threads that get derailed by neurotic, attention-deprived Richmond supporters, you’d think you might be able to accept some heat in the opposite direction.

So you admit your post was aimed to create some "heat". What I find funny, you also cry about tiger posters, yet you do the same thing lol.

This thread has been quite good, with quality discussion, leave it alone troll.

Richmond have found themselves in an awesome spot due to a combination of factors: general recession following an era of several very strong teams including a dominant Hawthorn, a team containing 5-6 players all playing at their absolute peak - most noticeably Martin who is arguably the best player in the league currently, a core who were assembled in roughly the same period and have now played a huge amount of footy together, a charmed fixture which includes a significant number of games at the MCG, the Grand Final only being played at the MCG and of course some good luck along the way. (Also it had to be noted now average both of their Grand Final opponents were - GWS getting spanked by 89, and Adelaide missing the finals two years running shows how poor the comp has been the last few years)

They’ve made hail with the squad they’ve got and developed a game plan that holds up in finals and supports the team they are fielding each week (which happens to contain a number of average players, but largely papers over their various deficiencies), but they can be opened up on occasion, and other teams will undoubtably ticker with their game plans specifically to beat them.
1-1.gif

papers over deficiencies but they keep turning up and winning. If it was a one off you’d call it a fluke but there is pattern now which seems to think as a whole we go alright. These deficiencies we have also won the VFL flag. * football must be bad if a team with such obvious deficiencies keep winning

let me state that to win a flag lots of things have to go right throughout the year and in the GF. like you said it requires a bit of luck too. Which we had our fair share! But we also made our own luck too.

every team has a weakness and we are no different, sometimes playing to your strength negates a lot of that weakness and having the guts to stick to your plan does to.

we made our GF opponents look average with our run and carry, granted GWS did lose some run towards the end of the season but nearly all our finals wins were by big margins. Those teams are not pushovers.....

our team is full of star players instead of a team with a number of average players.
how many AA do we have? Brownlow medalists? Coleman medalists?
and some that are just starting to get the recognition they deserve.

we have two forward players l think we can do better with but they suited our system but in my opinion it’s time to change for us to improve.

2020 players to look out for with big improvements expected.
Jack Ross looked very impressive in the midfield before his injury.
Sydney Stack, the most purely talented player on our list. Great goal sense.
Marlion Pickett, who knows what he will do with a good pre season.
shai Bolton, another super talented player who could be anything next year. Great goal sense.
Ivan Soldo is becoming a great ruck, will be more competitive next year-very accurate in front of goals- big bonus.
Tom Lynch, we wouldn’t have made it without him(early and mid year he stood up for us when our chips were down) he will be more super in 2020 after a pre season.

I didn’t say they weren’t a quality team - I said they had a myriad of factors working in their favour, and they’ve managed to capitalise as a result.

Like an 8 goal come from behind interstate final win... how often does that happen? They had half their team injured, were out of the 8 in round 14 and factors worked in their favour? Delusional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the saltiest posts ive read in a fair while.🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂:D🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂

I didn’t say they weren’t a quality team - I said they had a myriad of factors working in their favour, and they’ve managed to capitalise as a result.

I agree. You said nothing at all really. Other than Richmond’s home ground is the MCG and they have some really good players and a brilliant coaching team. Were you in fact alluding to that they may be too good for comp as there is daylight between them and the second best team?
Didn’t really say anything about how they could be stopped but never mind.

Why are you allowed to troll every tiger thread with you anti tiger rubbish? Your post is nothing but excuses as to why we have dominated the competition the last three years.

It's laughable how you are allowed get away with it.
Shapes it to fit his argument, same as when people argue Richmond only won coz they beat interstate teams (hawthorn three peat was Sydney, freo and west coast). Also I believe west coast finishes 13th the year before they played in the grand final.

You gotta ask yourself if Richmond were really that bad winning 2017/2019, how seriously sh$! Was every other team?

Why are you allowed to troll every tiger thread with you anti tiger rubbish? Your post is nothing but excuses as to why we have dominated the competition the last three years.

It's laughable how you are allowed get away with it.

they’re allowed to Troll. Even when it’s obvious

ask the bulldogs....won four of their last five against the tiges and lost the other one by a point
In one of those games, Caleb Daniels was used at half back as a distributor to get the ball out of the backline. He dismantled our pressure because he was so good in traffic under pressure and he never missed a target. Once forward of the defensive 50m and not under pressure, Richmond were as vulnerable as any other side. Sides have tried it by kicking to space in the back half, but that is a taxing game and eventually when a team gets tired they make mistakes and turn it over.

(Also it had to be noted now average both of their Grand Final opponents were - GWS getting spanked by 89, and Adelaide missing the finals two years running shows how poor the comp has been the last few years)

It's an amazing coincidence how the "competition is poor" argument always comes from supporters of teams other than the reigning Premiers.

It's uncanny.

It's an amazing coincidence how the "competition is poor" argument always comes from supporters of teams other than the reigning Premiers.

It's uncanny.

The comp gets harder to win every year, the comp over all is as strong as it’s ever been. Yep it’s a stupid statement saying the competition is poor. There are some Grand Finals that are easier to predict than others but they are based on circumstances of teams run to the game.
There is nothing easy about winning the AFL, all premiers are great in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back