Unsolved Rubaiyat - Suspicious deaths, codes & spies

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the one from some high school year book in vthe 1960's?
I used the their mobile browser.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
No it wasn't one they identified. He's German with a very interesting background.

That Henry William Davis High school graduation yearbook one looked similar, 17 in 1939 would make him too young I think.
1579415260915.png 1579415303781.png

Attachments

• 1579415208731.png
    1579415208731.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 225
No it wasn't one they identified. He's German with a very interesting background.

That Henry William Davis High school graduation yearbook one looked similar, 17 in 1939 would make him too young I think.
View attachment 808232View attachment 808233
Yes. The German is very interesting, but I don't know if he needed to come here under an assumed name, when everyone was looking for his brother. Although The hunt for his brother, which included scenes that would impress a thriller screenwriter, involved the monitoring of his brother's relatives, the breaking into their homes and even seduction attempts. In fact, the Mossad also considered abducting his nephew. But in the end his brother allegedly drowned in 1979 without any help from the Israelis. We might have to contact the Simon Wiesenthal Centre to confirm that the German did in fact die of a heart attack in 1947, as they kept close tabs upon his entire family, whilst hunting his brother.

As for the yank. The problem with genetic deformities is that they can effect the body in ways that will give a false estimate of age. Can't rule out anyone +/- 10 years at least.

Last edited:

Is that the one from some high school year book in vthe 1960's?
I used the their mobile browser.
Despite looking very like HC Reynolds, Hank Davis lived a long life and died in 2011 at 88 years. Unless there was some convoluted identity swapping (when he was HC Reynolds for a time) going on don't think he could have been SM.

Attachments

• 1579416732285.png
    1579416732285.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 208
File on Semen Ivanovich Makarov. Mostly stuff gleaned from the Petrovs in the 50's.
Makarov knocked up the stenographer at the Russian embassy. Petrov reckons he might've knocked up some other girls too during his stint working at the Embassy for 9 years. Witnesses say he was NKVD. In the Verona cables it says his wife was in hospital for a period that corresponds to when Jessica Harkness was a trainee nurse and conceived. This file says the hospital stay was due to complications of pregnancy. His wife left earlier than him for Moscow, where upon she proceeded to divorce him.
1 of the few earlier documents below.
He visited Adelaide upon leaving Australia. Spent the day playing funny buggers with his tail, losing them twice during the day. Bought a half pound of bacon for lunch and ate it raw. The man's an animal IMO.
a206d5351d6c74fe033ab6cfefab2835.jpg

Last edited:
(SOVIETS) PAID TO MAKE FAKED (CANADIAN) PASSPORT - Townsville Daily Bulletin (Qld) 1949 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63456242
It would be interesting to find out what a forger's kit would consist of, and compare it to some of the items found in Somerton Man's suitcase. Who else could travel without carrying cash, negotiable bonds or a bank passbook?

Last edited:
Well this is new. Maybe it'll lead to further disclosures relevant to the Somerton Beach case in time.

In an extremely rare move, the head of Russia’s spy agency has disclosed the identities of several undercover officers during an event marking the centenary of the KGB and its modern-day successor, the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service, or SVR.
The identities of the officers —most of whom are now retired or dead— were disclosed on Tuesday by Sergei Naryshkin, head of the SVR. Speaking at a press conference in Moscow, Naryshkin revealed the names and read the brief biographical notes of seven non-official-cover officers, referred to in Russian as “pазведчики-нелегалы”, or ‘illegals’. The term refers to undercover intelligence officers who are secretly posted abroad without diplomatic cover. Accordingly, they have no official connection to a Russian diplomatic facility, while some even pose as citizens of third countries.
Since 1922, illegals have operated out of the KGB’s and (after 1991) the SVR’s “S” Directorate, whose formal title is First Main Directorate or First Chief Directorate. It is customary to keep the identities of illegals secret following their retirement and even after death. However, in December of last year Naryshkin surprised many by announcing that he would soon disclose the identities of a number of former members of what he described as the “special reserve staff”, at an event to mark the centenary of the KGB and SVR.
He did so on Tuesday, when he disclosed the names of seven individuals and described their work in broad terms. The names disclosed by Naryshkin were: Yury Anatolievich Shevchenko (born 1939), Yevgeny Ivanovich Kim (1932-1998), Mikhail Anatolyevich Vasenkov (born 1942), Vitaly Viacheslavovich Netyksa (1946-2011) and his spouse Tamara Ivanovna Netyksa (born 1949), Vladimir Iosifovich Lokhov (1924-2002) and Vitaly Alekseyevich Nuykin (1939-1998).
The accompanying biographies released by the SVR disclose no specifics about the countries in which these illegals operated, the type of work they carried out, and the specific dates in which they were active. Most of them operated between the late 1960s and the early 1990s.
► Author: Ian Allen | Date: 29 January 2020

File on Semen Ivanovich Makarov. Mostly stuff gleaned from the Petrovs in the 50's.
Makarov knocked up the stenographer at the Russian embassy. Petrov reckons he might've knocked up some other girls too during his stint working at the Embassy for 9 years. Witnesses say he was NKVD. In the Verona cables it says his wife was in hospital for a period that corresponds to when Jessica Harkness was a trainee nurse and conceived. This file says the hospital stay was due to complications of pregnancy. His wife left earlier than him for Moscow, where upon she proceeded to divorce him.
1 of the few earlier documents below.
He visited Adelaide upon leaving Australia. Spent the day playing funny buggers with his tail, losing them twice during the day. Bought a half pound of bacon for lunch and ate it raw. The man's an animal IMO.
a206d5351d6c74fe033ab6cfefab2835.jpg

I note with interest that the Australian spooks sent to tail Makarov say that they had the upper hand on keeping a tail on him in Adelaide, because they knew Adelaide.

Hmmm. This was only months after the corpse was found on Somerton beach.
And the spooks assert in their report that they knew Adelaide. In other words they had visited Adelaide before. More than once, obviously. Can this statement mean that the Australian spooks were in Adelaide previously on the Somerton case?

Also of passing interest is how Makarov lost his tail in Adelaide by getting on a tram and then getting off on the opposite side. And again, more successfully, in Melbourne, by purchasing a train ticket, going to the platform, but his tail didn't find him getting off anywhere.
(presumably he mingled with the alighting passengers to leave the station without being noticed). The similarities with Makarov's behaviour in eluding his tail, and the baviour of the Somerton Beach man at the Railway station as described by the Station attendant in Littlemore's TV program notes is duly noted. This does not appear to be mere coincidence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone will want to read Hemblys Scales report of the surveillance of the Russian delegation to the Lapstone conference in 1948 contained in here>
PS: Note that part of this record is unreleased as it would disclose a crime committed by an individual. However Hemblys Scales surveillance report appears in full.
de20b022c3ce9781446a0480e0b98457.jpg
701b7ef7d22577d0b57d9698d3ff7ae6.jpg

2db4f4a299f96c7b0a27fa1a4c9d32ba.jpg

Last edited:
I think everyone will want to read Hemblys Scales report of the surveillance of the Russian delegation to the Lapstone conference in 1948 contained in here>
PS: Note that part of this record is unreleased as it would disclose a crime committed by an individual. However Hemblys Scales surveillance report appears in full.
de20b022c3ce9781446a0480e0b98457.jpg
701b7ef7d22577d0b57d9698d3ff7ae6.jpg

2db4f4a299f96c7b0a27fa1a4c9d32ba.jpg
Robert Victor Hemblys Scales report upon surveillance of the Russian delegation to the Lapstone conference 1948.
9f98e5d017bd8e637eb314857a8c48a9.jpg
8a4dbd15915ea958105258307ae9bae4.jpg
4c2fd326e86bb7a1cd9b80c12cef97a3.jpg
c4fff65f172360c9487a5a5464b52238.jpg
26796dc4258b7fc3b97371b818b9e5d9.jpg
9b28a47200ad9109950aeb4fb4d2cb6b.jpg

(SOVIETS) PAID TO MAKE FAKED (CANADIAN) PASSPORT - Townsville Daily Bulletin (Qld) 1949 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63456242
It would be interesting to find out what a forger's kit would consist of, and compare it to some of the items found in Somerton Man's suitcase. Who else could travel without carrying cash, negotiable bonds or a bank passbook?

The most common forged items in the 1940s according to Trove, were fuel ration tickets and bookmakers betting slips, but these are the ones that were caught.
So if Somerton Man did have the tools for creating forgeries what would he be forging without incurring a criminal history. Something that is rarer and has a higher negotiable value, but less likely to be thoroughly scrutinized?

17 Dec 1947 - POSSIBLE RARE STAMP - The West Australian (Perth, WA) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46824959

14 Jan 1948 - Famous Stamp "Forged" - The Newcastle Sun (NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article158135058

31 Jan 1948 - WORTH Reporting - The Australian Women's Weekly http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article47219772

According to this site below, some postage stamp forgeries are even more valuable than the real thing...

So was Somerton Man's tools used for creating lithographic forgeries?

Last edited:
The most common forged items in the 1940s according to Trove, were fuel ration tickets and bookmakers betting slips, but these are the ones that were caught.
So if Somerton Man did have the tools for creating forgeries what would he be forging without incurring a criminal history. Something that is rarer and has a higher negotiable value, but less likely to be thoroughly scrutinized?

17 Dec 1947 - POSSIBLE RARE STAMP - The West Australian (Perth, WA) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46824959

14 Jan 1948 - Famous Stamp "Forged" - The Newcastle Sun (NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article158135058

31 Jan 1948 - WORTH Reporting - The Australian Women's Weekly http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article47219772

According to this site below, some postage stamp forgeries are even more valuable than the real thing...

So was Somerton Man's tools used for creating lithographic forgeries?

BTW. R Haydock is unlikely to be the Somerton Man as this article was published on 6th December 1948.
06 Dec 1948 - Stamp May be Freak - The Daily News (Perth, WA) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article80804795
Interestingly though, it appears to be the last time that Mr Haydock appears in trove. Maybe he went back to Manchester, or got run over by a bus?

06 May 1954 - Stamp experts fooled for years - The Sun (Sydney, NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article230776631

A fascinating subject is stamp forgeries. No one ever seems to be prosecuted. Try doing the same thing with banknotes though;)

Hemblys' Regiment, Territorial Army Unit with a long history apparently. Fancy uniform.
View attachment 817961View attachment 817961
Yes. A tad off subject, but I did some genealogical research on the Geni.com world tree of President Jefferson due to the Somerton Man DNA being related to Jefferson story, and it turns out that my wife is related via marriage of some of her ancestors to Mr Jefferson. Then I looked at the Delprat's and hey presto she's related to them also through marriage of some of her ancestors. And when Tania Teppema married RV Hemblys Scales, so that makes him related to Jefferson too, and then that makes me related through my wife's lineage to Robert Hemblys Scales. So Hemblys Scales is related to Somerton Man. No blood relationship of course, but it does show how much of a problem tracing SM's DNA will be whenever they get a full sample if we're to rely on genealogical websites.

This is the common ancestor linking all these people and my wife through marriage, (not direct bloodlines) if you're interested in such things. He's why I can get into all these family trees without paying an annual subscription ;)

Last edited:
Yes. A tad off subject, but I did some genealogical research on the Geni.com world tree of President Jefferson due to the Somerton Man DNA being related to Jefferson story, and it turns out that my wife is related via marriage of some of her ancestors to Mr Jefferson. Then I looked at the Delprat's and hey presto she's related to them also through marriage of some of her ancestors. And when Tania Teppema married RV Hemblys Scales, so that makes him related to Jefferson too, and then that makes me related through my wife's lineage to Robert Hemblys Scales. So Hemblys Scales is related to Somerton Man. No blood relationship of course, but it does show how much of a problem tracing SM's DNA will be whenever they get a full sample if we're to rely on genealogical websites.

This is the common ancestor linking all these people and my wife through marriage, (not direct bloodlines) if you're interested in such things. He's why I can get into all these family trees without paying an annual subscription ;)

Did Hemblys Scales have keep n MI5 diary?

Parking this here, to have a closer look at when I have the time. Interesting photograph though.
Interesting CV too. The sort of skill set that might've got someone employed at Salisbury Weapons Research or Woomera weapons testing range.
afd2408e88bef4f712f45125a1fc6b9c.jpg

Last edited:
Did Hemblys Scales have keep n MI5 diary?
Something like a police notebook?
I have my doubts. There's no mention in any contemporary articles or even fictional writings suggesting that MI5 agents had such things. The UK National Archives is a pain in the arse to go through TBH. They want money for everything. Buggered if i know, where these CIS photographs of the Russians at Darwin are. I think C IuS handed them over to RV Hemblys Scales who must've kept them or sent them to the old dart for analysis & filing

Something like a police notebook?
I have my doubts. There's no mention in any contemporary articles or even fictional writings suggesting that MI5 agents had such things. The UK National Archives is a pain in the arse to go through TBH. They want money for everything. Buggered if I know, where these CIS photographs of the Russians at Darwin are. I think C IuS handed them over to RV Hemblys Scales who must've kept them or sent them to the old dart for analysis & filing

It was standard practice in surveillance for all 'watchers' to keep detailed diaries and as you say much like the notebook. HS would have had the task of collating the information from the team and organising it by person, timeline and location. Hollis and others kept diaries, I have copies somewhere and I got them from the UK source.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back