No Oppo Supporters Hawks and Pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

We are supposedly 'the family club' yet poker machines destroy families. There's a reason why ours are situated at mulgrave + caroline springs and not the leafy inner east. They are targeted at the poor, designed to be addictive and the odds of actually winning any money out of them are incredibly low. I don't think I've ever seen anyone sitting at a poker machine looking even remotely happy.
The day we leave this source of revenue behind will be a great one imo

it kind of is a little hard when you have a new training facility to be built.
That's the issue isn't it.
People want the cake and they don't care the ingredients were paid for.

That's the issue isn't it.
People want the cake and they don't care the ingredients were paid for.

yeah kind of. Looking at it from where I sit hawthorn getting out of pokies achieves absolutely nothing other than making people like yourself feel morally better. Your issue about pokies being evil aren’t being addressed.

All hawthorn getting out of pokies will do is handball our allotment to another operator so poor Johnny will still have the chance to blow his rent on them.

Unfortunately that’s how I see it.

yeah kind of. Looking at it from where I sit hawthorn getting out of pokies achieves absolutely nothing other than making people like yourself feel morally better. Your issue about pokies being evil aren’t being addressed.

All hawthorn getting out of pokies will do is handball our allotment to another operator so poor Johnny will still have the chance to blow his rent on them.

Unfortunately that’s how I see it.
No Hawthorn getting out of pokies doesn't solve the issue of pokies.
You see nothing morally wrong with the situation or you choose to ignore it. So for you the money is better of in our clubs pockets.

For me I don't want our club profiting off that situation.

No Hawthorn getting out of pokies doesn't solve the issue of pokies.
You see nothing morally wrong with the situation or you choose to ignore it. So for you the money is better of in our clubs pockets.

For me I don't want our club profiting off that situation.

Fair enough. I Don’t think we’re gonna convince each other and I respect your position.

Fair enough. I Don’t think we’re gonna convince each other and I respect your position.
I'm not trying to convince you. Pokies have been around long enough and the issues they cause and money they make have been discussed publicly enough for people to decide where they sit.

I used to think better us than someone else the the money. Just because my view changed doesn't mean yours has to.

I'm not trying to convince you. Pokies have been around long enough and the issues they cause and money they make have been discussed publicly enough for people to decide where they sit.

I used to think better us than someone else the the money. Just because my view changed doesn't mean yours has to.

I thought the same 12 months ago. I thought it was better for us to get the benefit than someone else.

But when it became clear to me that the Hawks did not have a clear plan and timeline to get out of pokies, it made the moral issue more real. It seemed no longer an inconvenient investment from the club... but something we were consciously mining. I don't like that the club has had it's eyes opened to the true suffering that pokies causes and hasn't taken a stand.

i.e. I don't criticize older generations if they say racist things.... that's what they knew and were taught... but no excuse for people from my generation.

i.e. I don't criticize older generations if they say racist things.... that's what they knew and were taught... but no excuse for people from my generation.

Have to pull you up here on this:-
People can change just because you were bought up to condone & support racism don't make it right under any circumstances.
No room for any racism anywhere or anytime!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to pull you up here on this:-
People can change just because you were bought up to condone & support racism don't make it right under any circumstances.
No room for any racism anywhere or anytime!

I think you know what i meant. I don't judge them for it... but i do not accept it.

I don't judge Hawthorn players for using racist slurs during the 1980's because of the era, but i don't accept it now for them. If those older players say it now, I don't judge them, i just stand against them, because they came from a different time.

People who come from my era and area don't get that benefit.

I TRY not to judge people for not learning quicker. I would go mad. Better to oppose them.

Most people don't agree with my view of the world, my politics. If I judged all those people I would go mad.... which i mostly do.

Last edited:
The poker machine revenue helps to make us financially independent of the AFL. That is crucial to our success.
No other club in Hawthorn's situation would give up that advantage (unless they were badly managed)
A moral argument could also be mounted for not selling meat pies at the football or refusing to play the high CO2 emitting night games or not accepting AFL money because of the gambling revenue they receive.
Fact of the matter is Hawthorn' s venues are successful well run and responsibly managed; and we need the revenue otherwise we fail.

Try to set standards both on and off field.
"But mum, the other boys do it too " doesn't cut it with me.
Based on your standards , you’d be against our club receiving ‘sponsorship’ money from the Tasmanian government. I mean I’m sure that money could go to charities to help the homeless or other meaningful organizations than a football club.

Based on your standards , you’d be against our club receiving ‘sponsorship’ money from the Tasmanian government. I mean I’m sure that money could go to charities to help the homeless or other meaningful organizations than a football club.
It's not even the same conversation.

It would be more like accepting sponsorship money from Phillip Morris.

It's not even the same conversation.

It would be more like accepting sponsorship money from Phillip Morris.
Not really that different. Governments here spend far too much money on sports that generate much more revenue than the AFL. It's ridiculous for them to spend a billion dollars on a single use stadium and constantly complain they haven't enough revenue. Unfortunately, losing a sports franchise seems to be the only thing that motivates voters here to dump lousy politicians LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back