Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking nothing at all away from Kyabram however , I think it is more than coincidence that the 3 leagues in the local area that have been involved in the points system since it was introduced , have each been dominated by one club which appears likely again in 2020.
I also don’t think it’s coincidence that the dominance is not as great in other regions who have had clubs on more varied points .

We are seeing long premiership runs all over the state no matter which version of the points system is being used. Kerang won 6 in a row from 10 consecutive gf’s under the varied points system is one example

We are seeing long premiership runs all over the state no matter which version of the points system is being used. Kerang won 6 in a row from 10 consecutive gf’s under the varied points system is one example
The points system has been in statewide for 4 seasons , with Kerang not being involved in the last 2 GF’s, having finished 4th (2018) and 6th(2019) .
I don’t think that is near the dominance of Kyabram , Nathalia , Nagambie in the past 4 years it’s also only 1 league not all in the region.

Last edited:
The points system has been in statewide for 4 seasons , with Kerang not being involved in the last 2 GF’s, having finished 4th (2018) and 6th(2019) .
I don’t think that is near the dominance of Kyabram , Nathalia , Nagambie in the past 4 years it’s also one league not all .

Points system up home has been in for many many years..like 13 years ago when I first moved to Bendigo. Doesn’t matter that the system wasn’t statewide it still was in place up there and players were allocated points just like they are today. Kerang were every bit as dominant as those sides you mentioned and more.

Points system up home has been in for many many years..like 13 years ago when I first moved to Bendigo. Doesn’t matter that the system wasn’t statewide it still was in place up there and players were allocated points just like they are today. Kerang were every bit as dominant as those sides you mentioned and more.
IMO , one or all nearby leagues not being within a points system and not being bound by the same rules significantly affects the integrity of a leagues points system .

Completely disagree with you
That’s fine but it doesn’t change the fact that no other region have had such a non varied system and all competitions who have been in the system being dominated by 1 side since the statewide points system was introduced .
below is an example of how it is more varied in nearby competitions
41854D51-20EB-4636-9839-10ED2829CF41.jpeg

Would it matter though roar if the points were varied, Kyabram, have had a strong 1 point local base, where I would imagine they would have had plenty of spare points to use, also why should the Shepp teams who have been on the bottom of the ladder (utd & swns) have more points than a rochy, Euroa or tat?
I don't think south Bendigo or flat should have that many points either.

Teams that have had a long premiership success Kerang and ky have have kept a core group of locals where they can add vfl/ex AFL stars to compliment. Kerang did slide due to some stars retiring and a few others coaching in the BFL, from all accounts blooded young Colts last year to fast track their development rather than buy players for the continued plan of long term success.

That’s fine but it doesn’t change the fact that no other region have had such a non varied system and all competitions who have been in the system being dominated by 1 side since the statewide points system was introduced .
below is an example of how it is more varied in nearby competitions
View attachment 819826

Ky hav Morgan, Williams, Crowe to slot back in. Ironside will be available most weeks i'd imagine. Echuca have a couple of losses that will hurt. Prout and Couch will be good ins. However, Will Monohan, Mitch Kemp, Noah Wheeler (Northern Blues) and McHale, Byrne (Geelong) could have some VFL commitments. Wheeler and Byrne will play plenty and not sure about the others. The loss of Morris for first 6-8 weeks will also hurt. I think the gap has widened. I hope I'm wrong.

Hearing that Luke Mckenna has also decided to stay in Melbourne. He is a big loss in my opinion, very underrated player in my opinion.

Also helps if locals ge a trade not a uni degree. They tend to stay longer. All good points Silver.
So true and we need more people taking on trades. We also need to help yound people understand that you don't need to pay a fortune to go to the gym to stay fit, join a local sporting club because a lot of them have people who are accredited in what they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious to hear thoughts on Team by team performance , who will be improvers in 2020 and who will be sliders
Just my opinion. I’m sure it will change before the start of the year.
Kyabram - Similar to this year, only question mark is how the coaching change will effect things if at all?

Echuca - Loss of Allan, Henderson, Morris early, and some others will impact and see the gap a little bigger from ky. Ben Reid returning could change that.

Rochy - Improve on last year. Strong midfield and stroobants up forward will help.

Benalla - Improve on last year

Euroa - The hardest one to pick for mine. I think they will improve. At full strength will be very strong but I have doubts over how much they will see of some vfl players. Lost a lot of depth.

Bears - Will drop but I don’t think as hard as some are suggesting.

United - Will improve with recruits, Jye Chalcraft could have been a huge inclusion in the middle with Mclean and Cam Wild but I see is off to Geelong league.

Swans - Improve with premiership players returning as well as keys and stability in the coaching also helps which they haven’t had since 2014.

Seymour - Another hard one, we don’t hear much about. If they can keep Cole, Clifton, and Keogh that’s an elite midfield. Winter Irving looks in good knick in Darwin also.

Tatura - Haven’t replaced what they have lost both on and off the field. Will drop in my eyes.

Mansfield - Again don’t hear much but German and Lawton leave big holes although haven’t seen confirmation of Lawton has left?

Mooroopna - Dean Smith a good inclusion but have lost most of the recruits from last year. John Lamont will get improvement with what he has but unfortunately there’s not much to work with.

Kyabram - Similar to this year, only question mark is how the coaching change will effect things if at all?

Echuca - Loss of Allan, Henderson, Morris early, and some others will impact and see the gap a little bigger from ky. Ben Reid returning could change that.

Rochy - Improve on last year. Strong midfield and stroobants up forward will help.

Euroa - The hardest one to pick for mine. I think they will improve. At full strength will be very strong but I have doubts over how much they will see of some vfl players. Lost a lot of depth.

United - Will improve with recruits, Jye Chalcraft could have been a huge inclusion in the middle with Mclean and Cam Wild but I see is off to Geelong league.

Swans - Improve with premiership players returning as well as keys and stability in the coaching also helps which they haven’t had since 2014.

Seymour - Another hard one, we don’t hear much about. If they can keep Cole, Clifton, and Keogh that’s an elite midfield. Winter Irving looks in good knick in Darwin also.

Tatura - Haven’t replaced what they have lost both on and off the field. Will drop in my eyes.

Mansfield - Again don’t hear much but German and Lawton leave big holes although haven’t seen confirmation of Lawton has left?

Mooroopna - Dean Smith a good inclusion but have lost most of the recruits from last year. John Lamont will get improvement with what he has but unfortunately there’s not much to work with.

Great read. Lawton is def gone though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

heard Cole is already struggling with an injury , can anyone from Seymour confirm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back