Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on observation (eg Newton's first law of motion which states a body can be in perpetual uniform motion unless an opposing force is applied), it might be something like that. Evidence suggests matter cannot be created, only transformed.

It's not that everything always existed, it's that the matter of the universe has always existed. How this differs to the God has always existed argument always puzzles me.

Doesn’t differ. If you think matter of the universe always existed then fine. That’s a pretty groovy concept. Great that this matter is now questioning its own existence. Etc etc

The prime mover / the alpha and the omega ... not so much the omega .. for me.

The alpha could lead to the omega which leads to the alpha...

The conditions of the universe give rise to the formation of solar systems, planets and life. Evolution leads to greater complexity, communication and intelligence. In the distance future we (or other species) might evolve into something we would currently term God.

The end (and rebirth) of the universe could come about in a number of different ways. It could be that however powerful life becomes it is unable to prevent the Big Crunch. But it could be the new resulting universe also naturally leads to solar systems, planets, life and 'God'. Or that the extremely advanced life forms might be able to influence the Big Bounce so the probabilities are that the new universe leads to life and God. There has been some speculative scientific discussion on both these possibilities.

A third, more thought experiment type of idea, is around what might be the motivations of an omniscient, omnipotent being. Perhaps the only challenge for such an entity would whether it could destroy itself - and the universe. Could it destroy itself with a view to its recreation billions of years in the future?

Of course, none of the above helps to further the discussion of where ultimately it all started.

So what brute fact do you use? Everything always existed and was always in motion?
It's likely the Universe has always existed in some form since energy cannot be created or destroyed. There are no brute facts, but we do know (as far as anything can be known) that life has developed through billions of years of evolution with no measurable influence from a god or gods.

If you believe that a god set off the big bang which ultimately resulted in the creation of all forms of life we see today and had no personal input into our Universe since the big bang, I'm fine with that.

The god hypothesis explains nothing of our past from a scientific perspective and cannot be accurately used to predict anything related to our future. It's meaningless from any viewpoint other than faith.

There is no logical reason to believe in a god, which is why theists resort to special pleading and other fallacious reasoning. If you value logic above faith, the only valid religious position is atheism.

Last edited:
Doesn’t differ. If you think matter of the universe always existed then fine. That’s a pretty groovy concept. Great that this matter is now questioning its own existence. Etc etc
How does biblegod know there are no higher order beings to himself?

A being as complex as the triune biblegod is surely only explainable through intelligent design. ;)

It makes no sense that god would be an atheist. Pure arrogance on his part, no?

The concept of time is only applicable to a "thing" with a "mass". If you have no mass, you don't experience "time". Time itself is an imaginary concept. For example, photons do not experience time.

I keep mentioning Roger Penrose. An absolutely brilliant mind. Sir Roger Penrose has pointed out in his work on the Conformal Cyclic Cosmology (CCC), when there are just massless (conformally invariant) entities, there is no way to 'build a clock' (or a ruler) and so the universe 'loses track of time' (and distance too).

From Before the Big Bang: An Outrageous New Perspective and its Implications for Particle Physics

Physically, we may think that again in the very remote future, the universe “forgets” time in the sense that there is no way to build a clock with just conformally invariant material. This is related to the fact that massless particles, in relativity theory, do not experience any passage of time. We might even say that to a massless particle, “eternity is no big deal”

Once you understand the limitations of the "human mind" you will start understanding that "god" is nothing like what you think it is. The term has been bastardized over centuries. God as per organized religions is created by humans for humans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does biblegod know there are no higher order beings to himself?

A being as complex as the triune biblegod is surely only explainable through intelligent design. ;)

It makes no sense that god would be an atheist. Pure arrogance on his part, no?

The Trinity may solve a lot of the those type of questions. I haven’t looked into it

Anyone who can justify three gods being one can justify anything.

Well need you man on the ground for starters. It all stems from actual people who followed a man called Jesus. It’s not from people just sitting around smoking pipes. “
The Holy Spirit for some people is much more that just an idea .. it’s a tangible presence.

Irenaeus
“For the Church, although dispersed throughout the whole world even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and from their disciples the faith in one God, the Father Almighty . . . and in one Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who became flesh for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit” (Against Heresies 1:10:1 [A.D. 189]).

Etc etc etc

Your not going to have much luck finding holes in the Trinity.. it’s had 1500 years of brightest and the best nutting it out.
( I think it all boils down to infinite love between the three)

Well need you man on the ground for starters. It all stems from actual people who followed a man called Jesus. It’s not from people just sitting around smoking pipes. “
The Holy Spirit for some people is much more that just an idea .. it’s a tangible presence.

Irenaeus
“For the Church, although dispersed throughout the whole world even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and from their disciples the faith in one God, the Father Almighty . . . and in one Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who became flesh for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit” (Against Heresies 1:10:1 [A.D. 189]).

Etc etc etc

Your not going to have much luck finding holes in the Trinity.. it’s had 1500 years of brightest and the best nutting it out.
( I think it all boils down to infinite love between the three)
The brightest and the best...chuckle.

You're just proving my point. It's a logically inconsistent doctrine that can only be accepted by faith. There are no boundaries as to what can and can't be accepted by faith. Anything goes.

It’s from the Gospels. You need to take it up with Mathew Mark Luke and John.
You mean the 4 NT books that were authored anonymously.

It's strange that Jews don't believe in the trinity. You could almost argue that Christianity has nothing to do with Judaism.

What's 200 years between friends?

It's pretty clear that some parts of the early church were vastly different to what later became the standard church doctrine.

The first defence of it was in the 3rd century. I’ve led you astray there. The father son and the holy sprit is part of the Jesus story. You cant get away from it.

You would be surprised how little difference there is between early church and the Catholic Church of today.
As for 80000 odd Protestant churches ..that would differ from the Church of England of not so much... to Plymouth Bretheren / Jehovah witnesses types where who knows

You mean the 4 NT books that were authored anonymously.

It's strange that Jews don't believe in the trinity. You could almost argue that Christianity has nothing to do with Judaism.

I don’t think it’s strange ... they haven’t had there messiah yet . Do they have a Holy Spirit ? I wouldn’t know .
You don’t even need the he Bible to be a Christian. Christians for the first 300 years didn’t have one .
Jesus was born and died a Jew so I guess they like to make that connection with what Jesus was into when he was alive.

It's likely the Universe has always existed in some form since energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Most cosmologists agree that the universe began with a big bang 13.7 billion years ago. Stephen Hawking proposed that the Big Bang created an equal amount of positive and negative energy. And it could all have come from a result of quantum mechanics where energy can randomly appear from nothing. He argues that there’s no need for a creator to explain how the universe came into existence because if there was no time before the Big Bang there was no time for a cause to exist in.

But Hawking also proposed that eventually the amount of matter in the universe will slow down its expansion and lead to a Big Crunch. So he was kind of having his cake and eating it that the universe could have a spontaneous beginning but also cycle through creation and destruction.

Those arguing that the universe has always existed need to explain why there is something rather than nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back