News New Jumpers For 2020 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They can't change much else on the kit. It is absolutely the smallest change on the list. What on the blues kit would you consider as a significant or major change?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The away/clash guernsey has had major changes; the home guernsey has not.

The same applies to Richmond and Essendon widening their sashes in the 1970s; a minor change.

Clubs that have had major changes to their home jumper since the Crows entered the comp:

Carlton
Hawthorn
Richmond
Sydney
- Carlton has changed the font of their logo.
- Hawthorn re added stripes on the back.
- Richmond removed the back sash for 10 years.
- Sydney had 1 year of white back, every other year has been red.

If those are all 'major' changes, then surely you have to also include 7 different configurations of hoops/strips of color that Adelaide have had.

Something about a bad quarter against North Melbourne in Hobart the other year so thou shalt not have yellow jersey at Adelaide anymore...
Can't wear red either as it is still 'cursed' from that final.

- Carlton has changed the font of their logo.
- Hawthorn re added stripes on the back.
- Richmond removed the back sash for 10 years.
- Sydney had 1 year of white back, every other year has been red.

If those are all 'major' changes, then surely you have to also include 7 different configurations of hoops/strips of colour that Adelaide have had.

Adelaide has never changed the hoop configuration, its always been a blue-red-gold pattern. The pattern continues regardless of how long the jumper is, so the amount of hoops varies depending on the size of the jumper. Bigger jumpers have more hoops.

I think people are getting hung up on the word 'major' that I used. What I was trying to illustrate is that all of those clubs have made conscious decisions to alter key design elements.

- Carlton changed their monogram to reflect their club logo, going from traditional, to modern serif, to modern rounded. It has also dramatically increased in size over time. They ultimately conducted a poll of their members to see if they wanted to return full time back to the traditional monogram.
- Hawthorn chose to re-introduce stripes to the back, first with a white number panel, and later just having the stripes below the sponsor.
- Richmond chose to remove the sash for a cleaner back, before reverting back.
- Sydney's has been the longest serving change, granted, but going from majority white to majority red is still a big change, and they did it after Adelaide joined the comp.

You could argue that Collingwood and North "only" inverted their colours, and that they are "still white and black/blue stripes". That has still had a drastic effect on what their jumpers look like though.

My point, which I suspect people are deliberately missing, is that Adelaide have not chosen to drastically change their jumper by changing the base colour; or changing the order of hoops; or removing hoops off the back; or adding/removing/changing logos. Outside of template-induced alterations like sidepanels or collar changes, which affects all clubs, the Crows jumper has remained the same for 30 years. The only change has been the addition of a white outline to the numbers, which I would classify as minor, alongside things such as logos and initials above the number and which I didn't consider for my original list.

If the Crows ran out in round one with a copy of the AFLW jumper, that would be a major change.

I wouldn’t classify it as a major change but I did think it was weird when the Crows kept the navy side panels with BLK, even though their template didn’t have side panels. You’d think it would’ve been a no brainer to go back to the proper hoops.
Deliberately changing the hoops to rectangles was a pretty big change.

Because by doing so they effectively get funding from on high with cheaper uniforms.
Exactly, EFL isn't under any financial strain at the moment so feels like a sell out to me.

And considering each league needs their own logos, own sponsors and branding put on them, they aren't exactly mass-produced.

This! Makes a lot more sense to have one source then the only thing you need league branding on are tops and shorts.

As an umpire who moved across a few leagues, it’s good to not have to buy new stuff for every league!
Most umpires don't move across leagues, and the tops and shorts account for pretty much 90% the cost of the uniforms in the first place.

Last edited:
but other things that have been implemented that most people won't pick up is being more relaxed when writing the scores on the score cards after a goal
How can you be more relaxed writing the score down after a goal?
Its not exactly the most stressful part of an umpires job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you be more relaxed writing the score down after a goal?
Its not exactly the most stressful part of an umpires job.
After a goal traditionly one places the flags away, goes and stans about 2m back from centre of the goals witt feet together, gets scorecard and pencil out and writes the score with scorecard at face height (theoretically so you're still looking at the field of play) and then puts the scorecard away.
It was quite regimented, like walking/running off the ground in step. It was frustrating as a junior to get this hammered in when you're more thinking about positioning, decisions and signals, but it did look official and classy IMO.

That Deliveroo logo is going to bug me all year.
SK.jpg

Would’ve liked to see the stripes go all the way up the back, like they used to.
SK 1953b.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back