Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm in the same boat and whilst I'd never wish what I'm and others are going through on anyone, it does feel strange to see AFL players talking about 'pay' still.

You're currently not required for your job, in the real world you would have been stood down indefinitely on Monday. You can't get paid for not playing football when playing football is your job.

Secondly, in order for your job to still be vacant for 2021, you need to sacrifice your pay or your employer won't be able to afford to pay you next year. It's not rocket science.

I knew they were in a bubble but geez.
Training is apart of their job. They are required to maintain their fitness levels whilst away from the club which for them is considered apart of their job. Playing AFL is not just about what we see on TV.

You touch your face more than you realise, even when you think you arent. Then there are things you touch, that touch your face. They have found the virus all over surfaces on some of the cruise ships, days after everybody had left.

So, touch something someone with the virus touched, get it on your hands, then touch a pen in your pocket, tie a shoelace, touch your shoes, loosen a belt buckle, now its on your belt. Open the door to your house, now its on the door handle. Go in side, wash your hands, now its on the tap.

Get up in the morning, wash, do your teeth, but you touched the tap first, so now its on your toothbrush. Put on your clothes, put on your belt and shoes. Go have breakfast, and now its on your dish, your spoon, your knife.

Maybe the quantities arent enough to infect you, but if the person that was the source of the bugs was a super spreader, you may have got a LOT of virus on your hands, and from the time it happened until the next time you gave your hands a good wash, you possibly contaminate everything you touch.

Everybody talks about the mistake letting people of the cruise ship, and the Japanese were much smarter quarantining the infected ship in Japan.

But now its spreading in Japan, because the officials that had to go on the boat to test and support, touched things. They had found 19 that were infected by a couple of days ago, and they had been spreading it around. And they were officials that knew they were on a ship contaminated with the virus, and a whole bunch of them STILL got it.

So yes, its far better and safer to wash your hands, but safer does not mean safe.
Sticky little *ers aren’t they.

Training is apart of their job. They are required to maintain their fitness levels whilst away from the club which for them is considered apart of their job. Playing AFL is not just about what we see on TV.
Pretty sure we all have to stay in reasonable condition (mainly mentally) for when this blows over, we have to for when employment is up for grabs again. s**t even I'm keeping fit physically for my local club, and mentally for my work (if it ever goes back).

You can't be asking to get paid $100k+ for going for runs and doing home workouts when you literally have nothing else to do.

There is also the fact there is no money, the economy is completely ****ed.

In light of the players apparent greed this is not such a bad thing. Members help pay their wages so they should pull their heads in and be more accommodating. And the corporates.
Indeed. It’s a conversation that needs to be had. I booked a movie ticket and got a refund because the service couldn’t be provided. Why is this any different? Money is a precious resource especially now, and that membership refund could help people out.

If the clubs are happy to pay them train them so be it but they're not getting my money.

The government and the chief health officer have the wrong priorities. You worry about the health and safety of your citizens first and foremost and deal with the economic fallout once things have settled down. If that takes 6-12 months than so be it. We as a country are in alot better shape to deal with this than quite a few others established economies and it seems to have been lost with Scomo and his obsession to not be seen as driving the country into a recession is coming at a cost of the higher chances the infection will spread because of the half arsed measures that have been put in place. Is showing that he simply is not up to making the tough decisions needed for this crisis. If you think hairdressers are essential that shows you have no idea.

Indeed. It’s a conversation that needs to be had. I booked a movie ticket and got a refund because the service couldn’t be provided. Why is this any different? Money is a precious resource especially now, and that membership refund could help people out.
Correct. Airlines and hotels are refunding money if you cancel due to Covid-19 even though they are still offering the service.

I'm not going to make a $400 'donation' to Qantas

Training is banned. As individuals they have responsibilityes like all of us.

We shouldn't forget that the AFL banned training. If players can do individual fitness work at home that is great but meeting another player in the park for a kick is also training.

The government and the chief health officer have the wrong priorities. You worry about the health and safety of your citizens first and foremost and deal with the economic fallout once things have settled down. If that takes 6-12 months than so be it. We as a country are in alot better shape to deal with this than quite a few others established economies and it seems to have been lost with Scomo and his obsession to not be seen as driving the country into a recession is coming at a cost of the higher chances the infection will spread because of the half arsed measures that have been put in place. Is showing that he simply is not up to making the tough decisions needed for this crisis. If you think hairdressers are essential that shows you have no idea.
I agree that health is #1, but there is a balance to play here. The more people who can work, means less mental health issues, less chance we dive into a lawless society, etc.

There are secondary impacts to an economy going down the toilet which can effect health

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that health is #1, but there is a balance to play here. The more people who can work, means less mental health issues, less chance we dive into a lawless society, etc.

There are secondary impacts to an economy going down the toilet which can effect health
It isn't about what you mentioned even though they are valid points this is about his own pride and ego. Somehow he has made this political when all he had to do was act accordingly and swiftly to deal with it properly. Trying to shift blame onto the Labor state premiers if people are unhappy about decisions that are made is poor leadership.

And yet it obviously doesn't send the right message when we keep talking about the economy.

My bleeding pinko brother thinks Scomo is doing ok under the circumstances. I' m living in a country where the Govt response is clear and they went pretty early, so look over at Oz, the Scomo pressers appear unfocused, and that MO Kelly bloke on Q and A the other night made me glad I am where I am.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet it obviously doesn't send the right message when we keep talking about the economy.

The CCP are masters of controlling the message. What was happening in HK again?

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Incorrect. Tell me, because you're obviously an expert, how many people do you expect not to die if they do what you want vs how many will die if the government keeps a somewhat balanced approach. Also, how do you plan to deal with the unprecedented economic fall out with a sky high unemployment rate and decimated small businesses amongst other things in 6-12 months? Please enlighten me. And while you're at it, why don't you tell everyone what your job is? Is it secure?

Incorrect. Italy are a unique case, nothing like here. Even Italy's own Chief Medical Officer said their stats are flawed.

They are a bit older than us, but overall have comparable population size, similar life expectancy, similar hospital bed numbers, similar ICU bed numbers.

Spain, France, US all following similar trajectory.

We can only hope. The signs right now according to the article are - ‘is the glass half full or half empty?’ Our trajectory is worrying - doubling every 3 days and results from restrictions cannot be fully appreciated until 2 weeks? after implementation.
I think we are in a lull. Listen to Prof. Murphy yesterday morning even he spoke of an ‘alarming’ rate of increase. This would be a first for me hearing him use such language. And we had other medical professors saying we have now a small window of opportunity to act decisively otherwise govt will have muffed it. 2 days he reckoned.
Personally I think we need shutdowns and the longer we sit on our hands the harder we make it. Social distancing works and flattens the curve. Because we have so many morons around the world we need to enforce the shutdown via the military and police. Stop movement, social distance, good hygiene and we will flatten the curve.
Going to the hairdressers, rushing to get your nails done, hustling for toilet paper and visiting multiple sites to do so, leaving schools open, keeping public transport operating and in general all the half arsed measures will not flatten the curve.
And as sad as it is, fu** the economy. It is shot and surely from this we wise up and realise, ‘you can’t breath money’ - Chief Sitting Bull. Lives are more important.

Spoken like a true communist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back