Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are a bit older than us, but overall have comparable population size, similar life expectancy, similar hospital bed numbers, similar ICU bed numbers.

Spain, France, US all following similar trajectory.

The government and the chief health officer have the wrong priorities. You worry about the health and safety of your citizens first and foremost and deal with the economic fallout once things have settled down. If that takes 6-12 months than so be it. We as a country are in alot better shape to deal with this than quite a few others established economies and it seems to have been lost with Scomo and his obsession to not be seen as driving the country into a recession is coming at a cost of the higher chances the infection will spread because of the half arsed measures that have been put in place. Is showing that he simply is not up to making the tough decisions needed for this crisis. If you think hairdressers are essential that shows you have no idea.
It's all the people who adopted the she'll be right attitude. All the nuffies who quoted on here we have a low rate, no deaths, it's an overreaction, etc.

I was like that at the very start, I thought it would blow over like many of the other scare viruses like SARS and Swine Flu/ Bird Flu, etc. but I changed my tune quickly.

If we had locked down a week or 2 ago, we'd be in a much better spot now. How we are not currently locked down still boggles my mind.

Australian's right now are still not sensible enough to flatten the curve. You can see it everywhere, I drove to fill up petrol a few days ago and it didn't look any different than usual when I drove past a set of street shops.

We need mandated, enforced lockdown. Australian's aren't sensible enough to do it of their own accord. Many of us are guilty of that at times, so take away the temptation by making it an offence.

The CCP are masters of controlling the message. What was happening in HK again?

CCP and the CCP Flu.

Can we stop this? While I pretty much agree with you, and I've been guilty of it myself, it's actually not helping the situation here.

Everyone needs to concern their efforts here in Australia and we will have plenty of time to deal with that when the dust settles.

The only thing I'm concerned with China is that they haven't been transparent and contained the virus and so I would implore the governments of the world to keep the travel ban on China until we have more information.

That said, positing stuff like this on this forum just creates a division of posting we're virtually nobody listens to each other anyway, clogging the thread with needles arguments.

Last edited:
It's all the people who adopted the she'll be right attitude. All the nuffies who quoted on here we have a low rate, no deaths, it's an overreaction, etc.

I was like that at the very start, I thought it would blow over like many of the other scare viruses like SARS and Swine Flu/ Bird Flu, etc. but I changed my tune quickly.

If we had locked down a week or 2 ago, we'd be in a much better spot now. How we are not currently locked down still boggles my mind.

Australian's right now are still not sensible enough to flatten the curve. You can see it everywhere, I drove to fill up petrol a few days ago and it didn't look any different than usual when I drove past a set of street shops.

We need mandated, enforced lockdown. Australian's aren't sensible enough to do it of their own accord. Many of us are guilty of that at times, so take away the temptation by making it an offence.

No it would not be over if we locked down two weeks ago.

If you accept that a total lockdown is not sustainable, then you could accept that perhaps they are monitoring the growth and spread of the virus in line with the resources in the hospitals.

After the Ruby Princess debacle what to the NSW Premier and Prime Minister have to say about this?

Border Force had a press conference yesterday specifically to say it wasn't their fault with the handling of Ruby Princess.

I mean sure they may be technically right, but in times like this buck passing is incredibly unhelpful (like that the US is going through at the moment).

Bindi Irwin and her selfish decision to get married last night at Australia Zoo wouldn't help the cause either. Mind you never been a fan of the cult of Steve Irwin and his supposed legacy either (but that is for a discussion elsewhere)

No it would not be over if we locked down two weeks ago.

If you accept that a total lockdown is not sustainable, then you could accept that perhaps they are monitoring the growth and spread of the virus in line with the resources in the hospitals.

It’s interesting.

A lockdown could work if...

- their is evidence that a lockdown squashes the immediate spread (on the counter, isn’t their evidence that spread is 6-9 times more likely in close quarters?)
- if the time is taken to scale up the medical response
- the government invests in proper contact tracing and strengthens enforcement

That way, when the lockdown is finished, the medical resources are adequately prepared for the what could come (come what may...) and where there are community pockets of infections, the government can put proper tracing / lockdowns in suburbs and regions to prevent uncontrollable spread.

A 3-4 week slow down only really works if the government prepares the community for the 6-9 months after the lock down. But it would provide business and industry with more certainty and they could plan around the shut down (a lot of businesses have a 4 week shut down over Christmas anyway)

I guess we won’t know how these measures are going for another 10 days anyway but we are testing more than most countries, have more traceable cases and less community spread infections proportionate to imported casss (am I right?)

Long term, the fact that we are an island really should help us control the spread long term (am I right?)

Border Force had a press conference yesterday specifically to say it wasn't their fault with the handling of Ruby Princess.

I mean sure they may be technically right, but in times like this buck passing is incredibly unhelpful (like that the US is going through at the moment).

If their was news that an asylum seeker was on board the Potato head boys would've swarmed the boat. ;)

Spoken like a true communist.
or a realist. instead of living in la la land with your tripe how about trying to be constructive.
if you think being concerned and forgoing the almighty dollar is communism you need to pull your head from you arse and look around.
Any chance you can **** off and not reply to my posts with dribble. I have little time for your type at the moment.
Bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect. Tell me, because you're obviously an expert, how many people do you expect not to die if they do what you want vs how many will die if the government keeps a somewhat balanced approach. Also, how do you plan to deal with the unprecedented economic fall out with a sky high unemployment rate and decimated small businesses amongst other things in 6-12 months? Please enlighten me. And while you're at it, why don't you tell everyone what your job is? Is it secure?
There wont be secure jobs if people are dead. Your going down the same path as Scomo in your thinking. It may sound over dramatic but you need to think about worse case scenarios in this current environment and if you don't your complicit in the spread of the virus. Strict quarantine measures are needed like in Singapore and Hong Kong. Singapore has a strong economy but you don't see the government putting that above all else. Your issue stems from the fact that people in this country have had it good for so long they wouldn't know how to cope if things turn pear shaped which is what we're seeing. That's the government's fault for not putting contingencies in place before implementing the stimulus measures because they rushed it out.

The AFL continuance question? Yes it will return, without a doubt, and maybe a late late season restart, if any teams are really hurt by financial situations we may actually get back some semblance of sanity in our competition and a true non-diluted quality football, and maybe even a change of administration, I would love to see 16 teams again. I'm serious , the AFL has pulled the plug out of the game with its additions and rule messing up.

You would add about one hundred elite footballers to the 16 team playing lists, if GC17 and GWS were not here. Sorry to those clubs most people who follow footy seriously know that you were both a bad idea, and you can go back to Dimetriou and North Melbourne and Footscray for the answer to that.
16 TEAMS SHOULD STILL BE A PRIORITY.
And if ever anything positive can come from this world wide tragedy COVID19 we are going through all in lockdown, then some total rethinking might put our one and only Australian Rules Football tradition back to what it should be, and what it was.
The corporate money may die off, but the football is always there, and wasting money on extended numbers was a bad idea in the first place, let alone how it is now, two bleeders tacked onto our competition, one makes a GF with help, from its inception, and kicks 3 goals!!!!!

Well, that's not GWS's fault.

That was the fault of expansion and the worst football season 2019, I and many I talk to, have seen.

So now if and when we get through this time, we should be looking at a step back, to quality, and real football!

The only thing I'm concerned with China is that they haven't been transparent and contained the virus
I’m thinking it will be good to see China come out of lockdown and get back to normal.
With transparency the world can watch and learn from this live test case.
Will the virus rear it’s ugly head again and spread again rapidly or will it subside.
This is an opportunity going forward for the world’s strategic thinking in attacking/controlling the virus.
My guess is it will spread again. But await with great interest to follow China’s moves. They will be telling and this time the world will be awake and take notice.

I’m thinking it will be good to see China come out of lockdown and get back to normal.
With transparency the world can watch and learn from this live test case.
Will the virus rear it’s ugly head again and spread again rapidly or will it subside.
This is an opportunity going forward for the world’s strategic thinking in attacking/controlling the virus.
My guess is it will spread again. But await with great interest to follow China’s moves. They will be telling and this time the world will be awake and take notice.
The key word here is TRANSPARENCY.
Some figures coming out of certain countries don't add up

There wont be secure jobs if people are dead. Your going down the same path as Scomo in your thinking. It may sound over dramatic but you need to think about worse case scenarios in this current environment and if you don't your complicit in the spread of the virus. Strict quarantine measures are needed like in Singapore and Hong Kong. Singapore has a strong economy but you don't see the government putting that above all else. Your issue stems from the fact that people in this country have had it good for so long they wouldn't know how to cope if things turn pear shaped which is what we're seeing. That's the government's fault for not putting contingencies in place before implementing the stimulus measures because they rushed it out.

We have less detected virus per capita than Singapore. Death rate and serious cases are similar.

I’m thinking it will be good to see China come out of lockdown and get back to normal ... They will be telling and this time the world will be awake and take notice.

Yeah it’s an important step. No way the government take the extreme measures they did, only to turn around and open it up before they think it’s ready to do so safely. The risk is too great. It would surprise a few people on this forum, but the national mood in China is pretty robust atm, and keeping citizens in that sweet spot is very important to the CCP, so they can keep hold of their most precious asset ... complete control of the country.

Action is what speaks loudest here and it’s going to be worth the world sitting up taking notice of what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back