Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Average of 6,000 innocent people dying every day now. Horribly sad.
It's terrible :(

I know the WHO is a dubious organization and I've criticised them more than anyone, but if we were to trust their numbers that around 290,000 to 650,000 people die from the seasonal flu every year that would mean anywhere between 794 (best case scenario) to 1,780 people (worst case scenario) die of the flu every day on average. In an average flu season, 1,287 people would die from the flu every day.

6,000 deaths in one day isn't indicative of being just the flu, and this is with many countries having lockdown measures in place. I can only imagine how much worse it would be without interventions.

I don't believe the overall death rate is more than 1% (I estimate it to be anywhere between 0.3% to 1%), but this is clearly more serious than the standard flu particularly when none of us have any immunity to it and we don't have a full understanding of the disease. Just because people are surviving now doesn't make us worry any less about future complications particularly when it comes to lung capacity or whether immunity lasts long enough or not.

what! ...

In New York City, an epicenter of the pandemic with more than one-third of all U.S. deaths, the rate of death for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01 percent, or 11 per 100,000 in the population. On the other hand, people aged 75 and over have a death rate 80 times that. For people under 18 years old, the rate of death is zero per 100,000.

over 75 is 880 per 100,000

*Sigh* I’ve been trying to make this point for weeks. Some people just seem to want to believe they’re at risk of death in spite of all evidence to the contrary.
My favourite is when aggregated data is pushed aside in favour of an anecdote... ‘yeah, but didn’t you hear about that otherwise healthy European lawyer who was in his 30s that died’. Nevermind the 50,000 people the same age that got it and had a cough for a day or two.

*Sigh* I’ve been trying to make this point for weeks. Some people just seem to want to believe they’re at risk of death in spite of all evidence to the contrary.
My favourite is when aggregated data is pushed aside in favour of an anecdote... ‘yeah, but didn’t you hear about that otherwise healthy European lawyer who was in his 30s that died’. Nevermind the 50,000 people the same age that got it and had a cough for a day or two.

I'm at a near zero risk of death but I sure as f*** don't want to be the one responsible for passing it onto my mother with a compromised immune system.

Have you got that point?

I'm at a near zero risk of death but I sure as f*** don't want to be the one responsible for passing it onto my mother with a compromised immune system.

Have you got that point?

Jeez... settle down. If your mother has preexisting conditions and is of an age that puts her at risk, don’t see her. Do everything you can to help her isolate.

what! ...

In New York City, an epicenter of the pandemic with more than one-third of all U.S. deaths, the rate of death for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01 percent, or 11 per 100,000 in the population. On the other hand, people aged 75 and over have a death rate 80 times that. For people under 18 years old, the rate of death is zero per 100,000.

over 75 is 880 per 100,000

new york don't have a clue how many have it. go by australian stats thank you.

Australia have found a very high rate of asymptotic cases, which shows our testing is relatively accurate.
Australia have a death rate of close to 1%, despite all cases getting the best possible treatment.

Here are a couple of articles talking about the same study.

Look above dooms-dayer

Here ya go, desperate libertarian watching his world view shatter in to pieces ....

If 20,000 excess people have died in New York City compared to the average, what do you think they died of?

it's commonly said, that in places like America and Belgium ect ect......that if anyone had covid, but were already dying of cancer or other terminal illnesses, it's automatically written as covid death, my mum was in her death bed with cancer and kidney failure, but the main cause written was pneumonia and comorbodities (mix of illness) , this was late last year........this corona as the only cause of death is a drastic step up on death certificates

it's commonly said, that in places like America and Belgium ect ect......that if anyone had covid, but were already dying of cancer or other terminal illnesses, it's automatically written as covid death, my mum was in her death bed with cancer and kidney failure, but the main cause written was pneumonia and comorbodities (mix of illness) , this was late last year........this corona as the only cause of death is a drastic step up on death certificates

You haven't answered the question.

The only one that has bothered, provided an answer to farm likes.

Like I said - those thousands of deaths over and above the expected amount in New York, much of Europe etc - what are they attributable to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd that all these people were about to kark it in New York right at the moment isn't it? Really strange how this week 20000 more people died in New York than the same time last year. Almost as though there's been some kind of a new disease going around killing these people...

Odd that all these people were about to kark it in New York right at the moment isn't it? Really strange how this week 20000 more people died in New York than the same time last year. Almost as though there's been some kind of a new disease going around killing these people...

well, I wasn't aware of the line up of karking it personally, but it's in line with the already existing worldwide death counter I guess

You haven't answered the question.

The only one that has bothered, provided an answer to farm likes.

Like I said - those thousands of deaths over and above the expected amount in New York, much of Europe etc - what are they attributable to?

wow how would I know there's no right or wrong answer for me to give u.......I just say what I know

from a guess point of view, stupidity on the restrictions

wow how would I know there's no right or wrong answer for me to give u.......I just say what I know

from a guess point of view, stupidity on the restrictions

It's so inconvenient for you and anyone else that can't go outside. Are we supposed to shed a tear?

From the Deutsches Historisches Museum Berlin.
Plague Mask 1650. We've gone a long way in mask design since then although this looks way better.
View attachment 864159

Fun fact: the 'beak' of the plague doctor's mask was stuffed with sweet smelling herbs and plants as it was believed the plague was related to bad smelling air.

Still a better treatment than injecting disinfectants.

There isnt going to be a vaccine, I am 98 % sure of that. Other solutions are needed
Apparently injecting Dettol might work.
Fun fact: the 'beak' of the plague doctor's mask was stuffed with sweet smelling herbs and plants as it was believed the plague was related to bad smelling air.

Still a better treatment than injecting disinfectants.

Sweden announces that it has 131 new deaths, taking it to 2,152 deaths in total.

Sweden = 2,152 deaths (population of 10 million)
Australia = 79 deaths (population of 25 million)

I know which country I would rather be.

Not to mention

Sweden = 17567 cases (1739 cases/ 1M pop)
Australia = 6675 cases (262 cases/ 1M pop)

Sweden's laissez-faire approach looks pretty sick compared to ours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back