" The Last Dance "

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparison posts and discussion regarding Michael Jordan vs Lebron/Lebrone James are now contained here

WELCOME TO THE LAST DANCE

last-dance.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder what inspired MJ and Pip to go down that path. Guess they can and could do anything they want and get away with it. Bloody hell, seeing it everywhere now (googling it).

Didnt realise Carey wore that in the mask, ill have to have a look.
Wayne Carey?

He was in a different film

Someone posted this on reddit.
ePFBGan.png

lulz

So Jordan's entourage/helpers claimed they were suss about the 5 guys delivering the pizza and they still let him have it? I would've fired the good for nothings the next day unless of course they advised him against eating it but Jordan insisted on it.

Steve Kerr - That was rough to watch
For all that I know and learnt about the NBA over my lifetime, I never knew about that, that shocked me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how some footage is so blurry, but then others in the same game are crystal clear. i.e. mj throwing ball onto mark Jacksons head.

Indiana and Detroit gave the bulls the most trouble. What no Knicks? Haha

Lol the indy housewife talking trash. Dirty mouth.

How close can one be guarding the sideline ball?

Pip the mailman doesn’t deliver on Sundays

Nice stairwell Jalen

Can you imagine if Stockton missed that shot, and Houston had a shot at the bulls? Hakeem v MJ. Tasty

Utahs mountain uniform is an abomination.

Stockton threw the best pass ever according to Aldridge. Hmmm.

OHHHH not the flu it food poisoning!!! Hahahahaha lol

Pennington said MJ looked white. Hahahahaha what?

Phil with the ear plugs lol.

I like the Kerr bit. Talking about the anthem, then cutting away to game 6 national anthem. Oh that shot. Man that is goosebump material

I enjoyed the penultimate episode.

THE FINAL EPISODE OF THIS 4 WEEK JOURNEY. In years to come we will look back at this corona saga and remember FOREVER the night you watched the doco.

Rusty larue sighting

Is salt lake city the whitest of white city?

Phil with the f truth bombs. LUUUUCCCC ties the game!

Traditional handshakes the start the game.

Do you like the press conference? Not in a room, the basement with curtains as walls haha..

Willow bay. Yum.

Coordination to whisk Rodman away in the days where internet and mobiles weren’t commonplace.

Where’s the Rodman vs Malone fights? Here it is.

His final Chicago shot. I got that photo somewhere. The facial expressions on the jazzians fans lol

Woooooooooo!!!!

Dayum carman electra.

The end.

Unquestionably a fun watch, glad it exists. A great time capsule into that era, which as it turns out, I knew very little of.

If I were to put on my critic hat, I would say that I'm not sure it ever reached the heights of I and II again. The strongest driving narrative was the dismantling of the Bulls, but a lot of that was done in those first two parts.

It's no Made In America, When We Were Kings, Hoop Dreams etc. but it's also not trying to be.

Someone posted this on reddit.
ePFBGan.png

lulz

So Jordan's entourage/helpers claimed they were suss about the 5 guys delivering the pizza and they still let him have it? I would've fired the good for nothings the next day unless of course they advised him against eating it but Jordan insisted on it.
If I’m going to guess Jordan probably had multiple people coming up to his hotel room for years delivering pizzas etc and didn’t think they’d be low enough to give him a dodgy pizza. Hungry and it’s late in Utah. Don’t think he had another option for food.

Unquestionably a fun watch, glad it exists. A great time capsule into that era, which as it turns out, I knew very little of.

If I were to put on my critic hat, I would say that I'm not sure it ever reached the heights of I and II again. The strongest driving narrative was the dismantling of the Bulls, but a lot of that was done in those first two parts.

It's no Made In America, When We Were Kings, Hoop Dreams etc. but it's also not trying to be.
Probably just a reflection of how the season went. I was expecting a few more fireworks after the first two episodes and have heard Kerr speak a few times about the Bulls having some issues as the dynasty went on. But it seems to me like the players were fairly close in 97 even if MJ was a prick and they rallied around the us vs them (management) mentality. Even Rodman disappearing didn’t seem to cause major issues.

Great series, did enjoy.

Was in primary school for the first threepeat and had started high school for the end of the second. I wanted Shaq and Penny to beat them in 95/96 and Reggie to beat them in 97/98.

Such a 'what if' feeling to think that they didn't really choose to go out on top. Krause pulled an Eddie McGuire and told Phil Jackson his time was up and then player movement snowballed from there. But as a kid I just figured Jordan retired and that was that. I'm a firm believer with Jackson, Pippen and Jordan on board (probably not Rodman, 37 and they were sick of him - plus he ended up doing nothing after he left) they could've won again in 99 and possibly 2000.

They averaged 88 points a game in the 98 finals and Jordan/Pippen/Kukoc contributed 65 of them. Harper, Kerr, Longley, Burrell were good soldiers but every team has players that good. Kerr played another 5 years, Harper won a couple of rings with the Lakers as a starter, Longley played a couple of years with Phoenix at a comparable level. Surely seemingly self proclaimed GOAT GM could've found 2 or 3 role players to supplement the core they had. They were an old team but they beat a Jazz team led by Malone, Stockton, Hornacek etc. who were all the same vintage. In 99 the Spurs won it with a bunch of old dudes plus Tim Duncan. 2000 a bit different going up against a prime Shaq and emerging Kobe.

Just seems a bit sad that the GM & owner chose to go down a path that broke up one of the greatest teams ever for no real reward. They didn't get much for Pippen and got nothing for Jordan, then the new coach they wanted had nothing to work with and turned out to be a dud. And a year later their HOF coach was winning titles again with another good roster. Maybe they are never a 60+ win team or a champion or NBA finalist again with Jordan and Pippen but Pippen's Blazers were in the playoffs each year and they were worse than a nearly 40 year old Jordan's Wizards. Krause (With Reinsdorf's tacit approval) blew up the franchise and made nothing out of the rubble.

I get it if Phil Jackson or Michael Jordan had decided at the conclusion of the 98 finals that the run was over and they needed a change or to finish up and then you decide to maximise what you can get for older players, hit the draft etc. but stubbornly making the call on the coach before the season and putting your GOAT player offside isn't good management. Those 3 seasons Jordan sat out could have brought Chicago another title, but they also would've brought offers from everywhere (free agency, sign and trade etc). All we know is that he was pissed off with the franchise and refused to play for another coach. Jackson sat out a year, Jordan 3. Who knows what could have happened if he stayed or was open to a move elsewhere...

Jordan saying he, Pippen (with some convincing), Kerr, Rodman, Phil, all would’ve come back on 1-year deals to have a crack at championship no.7 was such intriguing viewing. However, it did seem like a perfect end to one of the greatest dynasties we’ll ever see, 6 from 6, and to win all of those there were so many moments where if things went the other way, the Bulls probably don’t win some rings.

Jordan saying he, Pippen (with some convincing), Kerr, Rodman, Phil, all would’ve come back on 1-year deals to have a crack at championship no.7 was such intriguing viewing. However, it did seem like a perfect end to one of the greatest dynasties we’ll ever see, 6 from 6, and to win all of those there were so many moments where if things went the other way, the Bulls probably don’t win some rings.

No chance Pippen was going to come back. Unless Jordan gave Pippen his salary. Pippen was running out of time to "get paid".

I thought it was a pretty nice touch Pippen acknowledged the role of Krause in the end given Krause got annihilated all series.

It is actually hard to lay blame on who blew it up. Krause obviously led the charge early and probably did irreparable damage. Then Reinsdorf came over the top and offered Phil his job back but Phil said no. And there is zero guarantee Pippen would have showed up again.

Jordan wanting a 7th is nostalgia. That team was done. It barely won the 6th.

Great series, did enjoy.

Was in primary school for the first threepeat and had started high school for the end of the second. I wanted Shaq and Penny to beat them in 95/96 and Reggie to beat them in 97/98.

Such a 'what if' feeling to think that they didn't really choose to go out on top. Krause pulled an Eddie McGuire and told Phil Jackson his time was up and then player movement snowballed from there. But as a kid I just figured Jordan retired and that was that. I'm a firm believer with Jackson, Pippen and Jordan on board (probably not Rodman, 37 and they were sick of him - plus he ended up doing nothing after he left) they could've won again in 99 and possibly 2000.

They averaged 88 points a game in the 98 finals and Jordan/Pippen/Kukoc contributed 65 of them. Harper, Kerr, Longley, Burrell were good soldiers but every team has players that good. Kerr played another 5 years, Harper won a couple of rings with the Lakers as a starter, Longley played a couple of years with Phoenix at a comparable level. Surely seemingly self proclaimed GOAT GM could've found 2 or 3 role players to supplement the core they had. They were an old team but they beat a Jazz team led by Malone, Stockton, Hornacek etc. who were all the same vintage. In 99 the Spurs won it with a bunch of old dudes plus Tim Duncan. 2000 a bit different going up against a prime Shaq and emerging Kobe.

Just seems a bit sad that the GM & owner chose to go down a path that broke up one of the greatest teams ever for no real reward. They didn't get much for Pippen and got nothing for Jordan, then the new coach they wanted had nothing to work with and turned out to be a dud. And a year later their HOF coach was winning titles again with another good roster. Maybe they are never a 60+ win team or a champion or NBA finalist again with Jordan and Pippen but Pippen's Blazers were in the playoffs each year and they were worse than a nearly 40 year old Jordan's Wizards. Krause (With Reinsdorf's tacit approval) blew up the franchise and made nothing out of the rubble.

I get it if Phil Jackson or Michael Jordan had decided at the conclusion of the 98 finals that the run was over and they needed a change or to finish up and then you decide to maximise what you can get for older players, hit the draft etc. but stubbornly making the call on the coach before the season and putting your GOAT player offside isn't good management. Those 3 seasons Jordan sat out could have brought Chicago another title, but they also would've brought offers from everywhere (free agency, sign and trade etc). All we know is that he was pissed off with the franchise and refused to play for another coach. Jackson sat out a year, Jordan 3. Who knows what could have happened if he stayed or was open to a move elsewhere...

Harp as a laker

ron-harper-1579864487.jpg

It seemed a tad hypocritical that Jordan was claiming he was exhausted by the 98 playoffs as a result of the previous runs but is lamenting not going around again. As for winning the 7th, you just think he’d still keep going even if they didn’t win the 7th. All it would take is someone to look at him the wrong way and Jordan would say “it’s personal” and away we go.

Pippen points went downhill after ‘98. Had an ordinary at Rockets even though good playoff series and numbers decreased even more at Portland. Rodman barely did anything after as well, played 30 odd games.

Thought the series was tough on Krause, thought they should have interviewed someone who could have defended him more or put his side forward at least

I cant think of a documentary ive enjoyed more. Jordan and Bulls was my childhood right up until i finished high school. Its amazing how something that happened on the other side of the world involving people ive never meet or ever will meet had such an impact on my life.

I used to be upset about the Bulls team being broken up and i never understood why when i was a 17 year old kid. In hindsight a 7th championship wouldnt change all that much about the dynasty or their legacy. I think the mystique surrounding the "what if" holds greater value actually. With Jordan there anything was possible. Of course following their 6th ring after the players were traded or released that they performed nowhere near their peak. How do you motivate yourself to the same level when youve just seen the end of such a great team? Id argue its impossible.

Its interesting to see that Phil Jackson admit that he needed a break. I think maybe in his mind after calling their 6th run "The Last Dance" it would be extremely hard for him to get everyone up for ANOTHER season. He probably felt that they would fall short, and having some time away was more valuable to his life than potentially not winning. As history shows, he went on to LA and have another dynasty so he would feel vindicated at ending his time at Chicago.

I really thought at the beginning of this documentary that it would definitely show Jordan in a negative light, but ive come out of this with an even greater respect for him. He's got that work ethic that very few have, and his attitude reminds me of David Goggins who is just a savage for working hard and achieving his potential. Its the sort of attitude that might make other aspects of his life harder as far as personal relationships go with family and friends, and i imagine Jordan still struggles with striking the right balance in his life today, where he spends his time and energy.

No doubt i will watch all episodes again several times. If theres heaps of extra footage left on teh cutting room floor i hope they release it somewhere for all the fans that cant get enough. 10/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back