Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I will continue to criticise , I pay my membership and I will say what I won't . It is not the way to Coach , the way to coach is what Dew and Fagan are doing. He should never have got another 3 years , the club panicked because of Norths offer . Then he puts McVeigh in with no idea what any other club is doing and gets rid of the highly rated Tadgh .

Was the extension ticked off by Harley and Pridham?

Exactly!! its a very young list, still developing these skills
Not the coaches fault

People need to accept the list we have and the stage its at (and maybe even enjoy watching it get better). And people need to understand the Coaching and Recruiting staff are doing their job and doing it well.
We've missed one final series in 10 years and we've started this year with 2 wins and 2 losses (despite all the challenges) - not the end of the world.

or people can simply continue to criticise.

Half agree. We don't actually know whether Horse will develop and improve their skills. That's probably his biggest challenge atm, because his old contested style of footy didn't really rely on skills as much, so we could kinda get away with not being great in that area (though it did come back to bite us.) But you cannot play an attacking brand of footy without good skills. It's just not possible. So he's gonna have to change his coaching philosophy to put a greater focus on skills. Not saying he won't, or hasn't already, but it doesn't mean he will, either.

Exactly!! its a very young list, still developing these skills
Not the coaches fault

People need to accept the list we have and the stage its at (and maybe even enjoy watching it get better). And people need to understand the Coaching and Recruiting staff are doing their job and doing it well.
We've missed one final series in 10 years and we've started this year with 2 wins and 2 losses (despite all the challenges) - not the end of the world.

or people can simply continue to criticise.

I believe Footscray's team was younger. My concern is with some young players like Haywood who is regressing. Plsed to see him have a stint down back. Who knows he might develop into a decent Leo Barry type down there.

Old mate i'm going to have a couple of schooners at the pub , watch a bit of footy , so don't have time for you.
You could have given a paragraph on how you saw our game plan in the fifteen minutes you've been replying to me.

I will continue to criticise , I pay my membership and I will say what I won't . It is not the way to Coach , the way to coach is what Dew and Fagan are doing. He should never have got another 3 years , the club panicked because of Norths offer . Then he puts McVeigh in with no idea what any other club is doing and gets rid of the highly rated Tadgh .
You have a right to say what you want.. member or not.
So do I..
You're an ***** who obviously is blind to the big picture, and thank goodness you dont get to make any decisions that affect the club

You have a right to say what you want.. member or not.
So do I..
You're an ***** who obviously is blind to the big picture, and thank goodness you dont get to make any decisions that affect the club
Of course you do , never said you couldn't . I just said I pay my membership and will say what I want.

Half agree. We don't actually know whether Horse will develop and improve their skills. That's probably his biggest challenge atm, because his old contested style of footy didn't really rely on skills as much, so we could kinda get away with not being great in that area (though it did come back to bite us.) But you cannot play an attacking brand of footy without good skills. It's just not possible. So he's gonna have to change his coaching philosophy to put a greater focus on skills. Not saying he won't, or hasn't already, but it doesn't mean he will, either.
Yep, I only half agreed to what you said.
Of course will develop and improve their skills.. hes rated amongst the 18 clubs as one of the best coaches.
Contested style of footy was the style that suited the team 2010 - 2019, so he coached that way. The emerging list of players suits a faster style of footy,, so thats how hes coaching. For a young player to showcase their skills is very hard.. much easier with the confidence of 4+ seasons experience. Skills will continue to improve next year and the year after that... so on and so on...

'So he's gonna have to change his coaching philosophy to put a greater focus on skills. Not saying he won't, or hasn't already, but it doesn't mean he will, either. I dont understand? You're saying, or not saying, he will or won't? or has he already??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I only half agreed to what you said.
Of course will develop and improve their skills.. hes rated amongst the 18 clubs as one of the best coaches.
Contested style of footy was the style that suited the team 2010 - 2019, so he coached that way. The emerging list of players suits a faster style of footy,, so thats how hes coaching. For a young player to showcase their skills is very hard.. much easier with the confidence of 4+ seasons experience. Skills will continue to improve next year and the year after that... so on and so on...

'So he's gonna have to change his coaching philosophy to put a greater focus on skills. Not saying he won't, or hasn't already, but it doesn't mean he will, either. I dont understand? You're saying, or not saying, he will or won't? or has he already??

I'm saying we have absolutely no idea. Evidence so far suggests the skills are not improving with this next generation. But that doesn't mean they won't in the future. You seem very certain that Horse is good enough to just adapt his coaching style and totally reinvent himself to make this different group of Swans very good. I'm just not as certain either way at this early stage.

All I know is it's crucial our skills become better than they currently are or there will be no flag.

Looking at the half time score in the Dees-Cats game, if we have a negative game plan we aren't the only ones...

Having said that, in general I think there has been a greater emphasis on defence in the last decade and a half since we won the 2005 flag. It's actually gone too far in my opinion. Roos understandably employed the game plan that he did because we didn't have an A grade midfield at the time, but even that side had some attacking weaponry with guys like Hall, O'Loughlin, Goodes and Davis who could all kick multiple goals in a game. It's great that we are trying to move the ball more quickly at least, but our forward structure hasn't really improved. Given the way teams defend these days it's no wonder we're finding it hard to score.

I'm saying we have absolutely no idea. Evidence so far suggests the skills are not improving with this next generation. But that doesn't mean they won't in the future. You seem very certain that Horse is good enough to just adapt his coaching style and totally reinvent himself to make this different group of Swans very good. I'm just not as certain either way at this early stage.

All I know is it's crucial our skills become better than they currently are or there will be no flag.
playing with words here.. but.. his coaching 'style' doesn't have to change, only the 'game plan'.
Horse will still demand, attack on the footy, and hardness, and 100% commitment, and consistency. He will still priorities contested footy and pressure. You can't win a game without these attributes. But the game plan is changing from a contested inside game to an open outside game. You need the footy first.
Ill back Horse and the coaches, Beatson and the recruiting staff, and the players to succeed again very soon

playing with words here.. but.. his coaching 'style' doesn't have to change, only the 'game plan'.
Horse will still demand, attack on the footy, and hardness, and 100% commitment, and consistency. He will still priorities contested footy and pressure. You can't win a game without these attributes. But the game plan is changing from a contested inside game to an open outside game. You need the footy first.
Ill back Horse and the coaches, Beatson and the recruiting staff, and the players to succeed again very soon

Maybe his coaching style does have to change though. If he's going to have an attacking, open outside game as you say then that requires good skills, something Longmire-coached teams have never really had. Again, not saying he's incapable of doing so, but I'd rather wait and see how he goes before I get too excited. But to each their own.

slow starts are an issue this year, usually a quarter in 2020, a half on Thursdayis that gameplan? no coaching? not sure

longmire is now in a project phase and its pretty early in that project

Do you guys reckon if he doesn't make finals by 2023 or have some form of obvious growth or plan he won't get a new contract?

wouldnt any coach if they had 4 years like that?

The list itself is more of a worry imo

It’s really imo only better than 2 others and players are not coming on , going backwards or just not good enough for senior footy

The best players that carry us are 1/2 years of Finishing and no one to replace

IMO it will be a case of we won't be able to play without JPK, Parker, Rampe etc until we have to.

Horse has backed the kids in on occasions and been rewarded but then reverts back the week after.

despite a makeshift forward and allowing for shorter quarters our scorings been pretty good, round 4 hurt the average
We were terrible tge otger night from the first bounce.
Mindset was wrong. JPK was brave to want to play but he was just no where near it, even with Naismith tapping it where ever he wanted to tap it. 20 points down before you know it & game over right there in a shortened match.
Same against the Bombers. Both games we should have won based on our efforts against the Roos where even players like Fox played to a greater level, one which is expected at senior level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back