Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

longmire moved players around at half time etc, he did what he could do

3 rucks didnt work, but i thought it made sense going in

Unusual when I think you are being too generous on this occasion. He had to be a part of the decision to go in with 3 ruckmen.. Unforgiveable against a fast moving small team that throws the ball & is loved by tge umps.

Unusual when I think you are being too generous on this occasion. He had to be a part of the decision to go in with 3 ruckmen.. Unforgiveable against a fast moving small team that throws the ball & is loved by tge umps.

i figured he went for the only tall left in mccartins spot, maybe at night was stupid, but there was a logic

No it’s not. It’s 30 points.

It's 8 minutes less of gametime (16 min quarters)

That isn't the point though I'm praising the lord we finally saw Mills where he should be- in the midfield. Now leave him there for 6 weeks. It's a developing year wins or losses aren't the important thing- lets see whether he can be a mid. We have Gould (among others) that can play his defensive role.

Swans fans really need to start questioning the off field leadership...I like Longmire. I like his approach in the media and my guess is he’s great at bringing players together...but his tactics, his selection, his reading of the game and his willingness to change are his weakness....it looks like he’s relying on cox for that play instinct and that’s a worry...not because cox could not be a good coach but because it seems the game and those final 1% in footy instincts, the instincts that carve out a small but winning advantage, have gone past Longmire. Great to see Hayward do something constructive in defence and Mills get to use his football smarts on ball... really really sad JFK was let down in his 250th but he should be looking at horse...I’m mean Sinclair, Naismith and McLean In the one side...how do you go to bed and think that’s a great selection....?

I appreciate what Horse has done for this club but I'm starting to fear the game might have gone past him. The landscape 5-10 years ago was very different to what it is now. Maybe his gameplan only works with experienced, mature bodies I guess? Back at our peak we were built like bulls and that helped with the heavy-contested gameplan which did wonders in the early 2010s. Now it seems like we have a lot of skinny players and less grunt. Its a very different team compared to what Horse inherited. All I can say is 3.5 years is a long, long time.

You're not making sense??
Making perfect sense....what option did he Have left tonight...after picking 3 iffy talls...Hayward did nothing In the forward line like he has for a season..he shouldn’t even be playing in the ones...and the mills call was one he has heard for a long time but ignored... I bet cox demanded he make those moves...and that’s my point, Longmire seems to have lost his grip in the box...it’s the start of the end for him...Actually it’s a bit more than the start but For the Swans decision makers it might be dawning...

longmire has the Rodney eade at the end look....he’s not sure of himself and his decision making but really wants to hold onto to his job....Swans Board need to sharpen their resolve and be decisive, imo...

Last edited:
FFS talk about some knee-jerk on here.

We played quite a good attacking brand last week, were the third-highest-scoring side in the comp up to this point, without two key forwards. Five days later we can't back it up and Horse has his papers signed. **** me.

Give the guy some credit. There's been plenty of flaws in our team this year, and Horse has gotta take some accountability for that.

But there's been plenty to like as well - and he's responsible for that, too!

I thought he had a mare tonight and guess what, there will be more to come. He is figuring out this fairly young team as much as these young players are figuring their own games out. He ain't gonna get it right every time. The players will let him and themselves down. He will let himself down.

Let's just see how the year pans out before we make the call on what a lousy season he had!

FFS talk about some knee-jerk on here.

We played quite a good attacking brand last week, were the third-highest-scoring side in the comp up to this point, without two key forwards. Five days later we can't back it up and Horse has his papers signed. **** me.

Give the guy some credit. There's been plenty of flaws in our team this year, and Horse has gotta take some accountability for that.

But there's been plenty to like as well - and he's responsible for that, too!

I thought he had a mare tonight and guess what, there will be more to come. He is figuring out this fairly young team as much as these young players are figuring their own games out. He ain't gonna get it right every time. The players will let him and themselves down. He will let himself down.

Let's just see how the year pans out before we make the call on what a lousy season he had!

I preferred the guy who coached us last week better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. There's going to be good wins and frustrating times while the team develops. We aren't contending for another season or so, so everyone just needs to breathe deeply.

There are some Veruca Salts in our supporter base who I'm not sure are prepared for what being a developing team actually entails.

His carry on in the box is over the top . 5 goals in a game , it's not good enough. Oh to have Stewie Dew with great footy to watch.

The first half was rubbish, but we won the second half and should have done so by more than we did other than missing a whole bunch of easily convertible set shots in the third quarter.

But we certainly aren't alone in having a s**t game this season. So far this year the teams that have scored six goals or less in a game are:

Richmond (x2), West Coast (x2), Footscray, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Adelaide, GWS, Fremantle, Collingwood, Sydney.

So, more than half the league.

When you go beyond the bad performance across four quarters there are also a bunch of examples of teams not showing up for half the game like we did in this game. There are games like Melbourne getting out to a 42 point lead against Carlton to almost throw the game away and then Geelong giving up more or less the same deficit to Carlton only to come back and win.

Teams have been underdone and had interrupted preparation, are having to work around all sorts of regulations and restrictions, have had to shed staff, all the usual routines are out the window as they have had to deal with hubs... It is no surprise that basically every team, probably with Port Adelaide as the only exception, is struggling to show up in a consistent manner. You would expect a team as young as ours to be inconsistent at the best of times and right now is very, very far from the best of times.

Some of the responses to what was really just one bad half of football are way over the top.

I have often said the last few years that Longmire plays not to lose, rather than playing to win.

You have often said many things in the last few years that weren't true.

You'd think going in with 3 rucks we should get more marks but the team dropped every ball which came our way. Woeful skill errors from the team - don't think this was lost in the selection table. Going in with 2 shorter players wouldn't have made a lick of difference

I appreciate what Horse has done for this club but I'm starting to fear the game might have gone past him. The landscape 5-10 years ago was very different to what it is now. Maybe his gameplan only works with experienced, mature bodies I guess? Back at our peak we were built like bulls and that helped with the heavy-contested gameplan which did wonders in the early 2010s. Now it seems like we have a lot of skinny players and less grunt. Its a very different team compared to what Horse inherited. All I can say is 3.5 years is a long, long time.
I respect your opinion but this is a load of rubbish. You pretty much answered your own question, the playing group is not as mature as what it was a couple of years ago. If you want proof that the stage we are going through is completely normal then look around you. We are far from the only team that's had shite games the last couple seasons. The brand throughout the comp has been odd and below par.

Overall you can see in an intent from the team to push forward, albeit lack of execution. You can see the shift in longmires selection and gameplan, he is adapting.

That Dawson kick across to the centre of the ground to a Swan against two Dogs that was turned over.

COACH KILLER!
The worst kick in the game last night was from Aliir in the 4th quarter. He had the ball in the pocket, broke away and didn't look. Kicked roughly where 4 swans were but managed to miss all of them and pinpoint the 1 bulldog player there. The team was in panic mode a lot last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back