No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith was regarded by draft watchers on our forum as the top pick. Easily better than Walsh. Only that Carlton don’t favour that style of player.... so we got lucky. Super super lucky.
Some suggested our recruiters would have taken Rozee if he was available. It's an incredible draft, and we haven't even seen Rankine yet.

North Melbourne has a free kick differential of +34 after four games. Next best is Melbourne with +10 from three games.

where’s the uproar about umpires cheating for north?

Often it's not how many free kick give but where they are given. You could give 1 team 50 frees in their backline and the other team 5 frees in front of goal and see what the difference it makes.

Also it's the one's not given that can also make a difference.

Y
Often it's not how many free kick give but where they are given. You could give 1 team 50 frees in their backline and the other team 5 frees in front of goal and see what the difference it makes.

Also it's the one's not given that can also make a difference.
You sound like Digger from The Coodabeen Champions

Agree with Clarkson completely here. The adjudication of the HTB rule has changed so much over the last 5-8 years it does not follow the written rule in the slightest anymore. If it were adjudicated correctly, it would do so much for opening the game up and we wouldn't be talking about ridiculous changes to core rules of the game (like introducing zones, etc).

Agree with Clarkson completely here. The adjudication of the HTB rule has changed so much over the last 5-8 years it does not follow the written rule in the slightest anymore. If it were adjudicated correctly, it would do so much for opening the game up and we wouldn't be talking about ridiculous changes to core rules of the game (like introducing zones, etc).

I'm not sure free kicks open the game up whatsoever. It generally allows the opposition to set up a zone.

I'm not sure free kicks open the game up whatsoever. It generally allows the opposition to set up a zone.
It’s just a free-flowing scrum at the moment. Not sure what the answer is. Coaches will take whatever advantage they can. At the moment it’s defend, defend, defend.

They could get rid of the ridiculous ruck nominations and allow third man up for a start 😃

It's a big FAIL for the rules tinkerers, Steve Hocking & co.

The problem is the umpires will probably overreact and have a complete change of approach this week as a result of the Clarkson spray. Thank Dog we're playing on the Saturday and will have a chance to see how they're interpreting it in the earlier games before we run out.

Abruptly changing interpretation or emphasising a particular rule from one week to the next is also a big FAIL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qld government making it very hard for the AFL now:

any Queensland or Queensland-based team who:
- Plays against a Melbourne team in Queensland is required to quarantine after the match for 14 days; or
- Plays in Melbourne is required to quarantine for 14 days on returning to Queensland, or
- Plays in another state against a team who has been in Melbourne in the preceding 14 days is required to quarantine on their return to Queensland.

Qld government making it very hard for the AFL now:

any Queensland or Queensland-based team who:
- Plays against a Melbourne team in Queensland is required to quarantine after the match for 14 days; or
- Plays in Melbourne is required to quarantine for 14 days on returning to Queensland, or
- Plays in another state against a team who has been in Melbourne in the preceding 14 days is required to quarantine on their return to Queensland.

Well I guess if the season gets suspended again (not saying it will happen, just speculation), Naughts and Lloyd get more time to recover.

Generally the kick after a free is long to a contest then a throw in.

when it's not a handball to a bloke running past, switch kick or short to a lead. I took Clarkson to be complaining about lack of reward for tackles by Hawthorn. The failure to prosecute retention of the ball encourages players to hang onto it until sure that it can be given safely to a team mate. If more free kicks were paid, that would encourage players to release it into a dispute, that's better than the inevitable stoppage.

It's a big FAIL for the rules tinkerers, Steve Hocking & co.

The problem is the umpires will probably overreact and have a complete change of approach this week as a result of the Clarkson spray. Thank Dog we're playing on the Saturday and will have a chance to see how they're interpreting it in the earlier games before we run out.

Abruptly changing interpretation or emphasising a particular rule from one week to the next is also a big FAIL.

Agree completely. And yet the VFL/AFL have been doing exactly this for decades. New rule interpretation is announced in the off-season, applied during pre-season and early rounds of H&A. Then by about round 5-6, magically drops off the radar. Can almost set your yearly calendar by it.

Too reactionary to the occasional blip on the radar. When I was young, they changed the holding the ball rule (dropping the ball in its colloquial representation at the time), as Kevin Bartlett would drop the ball (or make out he was bouncing it) just as he got tackled, and would get holding the man frees constantly. 15 metres became 50 metres, diamond then square, ruck circle, ruck circle with line, etc, etc, etc - they've been ****ing the game before waiting for the game to correct itself. One coach develops a strategy, others try and countermand it - or at least they would if the administrators didn't over-react and change the rules first, rather than allow organic development.

Rules commitee has had 3 years and years to sort this out and been a total failure. Now Gil is issuing edicts that he would like more frees for holding the ball ( why bother with a rules committee?).

How about they go Back to the old HTB interpretation. Worked ok in the 70s.

Rules commitee has had 3 years and years to sort this out and been a total failure. Now Gil is issuing edicts that he would like more frees for holding the ball ( why bother with a rules committee?).

How about they go Back to the old HTB interpretation. Worked ok in the 70s.
why even are there 'interpretations'? The rules are the rules. If they are inadequate or unclear then update them, otherwise adjudicate to how they're written. "Interpretations" are stupid.

Nobody can tell me that this rule is applied consistently, as it is written, in the game today:
17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
(a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
For reference:
Correct Disposal or Correctly Dispose: a Kick or Handball of the football by a Player.
In this situation, the amount of incorrect disposals that never go punished is ridiculous.
It results in repeat stoppages after a tackle, then pile on, and the congestion just gets thicker and thicker around the ball.

Edit: Also, the 'knocked out in the tackle' rule ONLY applies to tackles where the player with the ball has not had Prior Opportunity. If the player has had prior and is tackled legally and doesn't dispose of the ball with a kick or a handball, it should be holding the ball!!!! This is rarely paid!

Last edited:
why even are there 'interpretations'? The rules are the rules. If they are inadequate then update them, otherwise adjudicate to how they're written. "Interpretations" are stupid.

Nobody can tell me that this rule is applied consistently, as it is written, in the game today:

For reference:

In this situation, the amount of incorrect disposals that never go punished is ridiculous.
It results in repeat stoppages after a tackle, then pile on, and the congestion just gets thicker and thicker around the ball.

Edit: Also, the 'knocked out in the tackle' rule ONLY applies to tackles where the player with the ball has not had Prior Opportunity. If the player has had prior and is tackled legally and doesn't dispose of the ball with a kick or a handball, it should be holding the ball!!!! This is rarely paid!

Great point about 'interpretations'. If necessary those knuckleheads like Steve Hocking and Hayden Kennedy (I know, I know 'knucklehead' is generous),
just need to clarify and simplify the rules, and get the umpires to umpire to the effen rules. Although the rule you quoted seems pretty simple already.

Great point about 'interpretations'. If necessary those knuckleheads like Steve Hocking and Hayden Kennedy (I know, I know 'knucklehead' is generous),
just need to clarify and simplify the rules, and get the umpires to umpire to the effen rules. Although the rule you quoted seems pretty simple already.
don't get me started on the special players where 'immediately' means they get three ring around the rosies.

"dispose immediately" looks like the tackle on Dahlhaus in the prelim that led to Caleb's goal. Once he was tackled it was an instant handball. Players get way too long to dispose of it which goes against how the rule is written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back