Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find the Coronavirus is NOT more deadly or infectious than the Flu - that was the fear in the beginning but the statistics after 6 months have shown death rates are around the same as the Flu.
There’s been 125,000 dead in the US alone and we are only halfway through the year. The flu kills 30,000-70,000 people each year in the US so it is not even close at this stage. And that’s with lockdowns/social distancing/other measures, if they just kept living their normal lives you would have tens of thousands more dead easily

Except they are not stupid, conspiracy minded fools.

This is what success largely looks like, clowns coming out of the woodwork to say it's just a flu when it's well on track to double the average global flu deaths.

First of all - I am not a conspiracy theorist, but have just been following the numbers. It is an undeniable fact the death rates thankfully are far lower than projected, and the disease less severe, otherwise our ICU’s during the peak would have been full.

The reality is that NEXT time we will need to manage a Pandemic in another way because we will not have another 200 Billion to throw at the problem.
We may be forced to use the Swedish model.

There’s been 125,000 dead in the US alone and we are only halfway through the year. The flu kills 30,000-70,000 people each year in the US so it is not even close at this stage. And that’s with lockdowns/social distancing/other measures, if they just kept living their normal lives you would have tens of thousands more dead easily

Remember that the annual Flu is not placed under the microscope or given the scrutiny that the Coronavirus has been. If the regular flu was the subject of extensive testing then I would expect the death rate to be higher than 30-70k you have correctly indicated. Further the FLU had a Vaccine so we are comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited:

You will find the Coronavirus is NOT more deadly or infectious than the Flu - that was the fear in the beginning but the statistics after 6 months have shown death rates are around the same as the Flu.

No. You are wrong. This disease has killed more than flu does annually, and we are only half way through the year with the death toll continuing.
It is certainly more infectious with an R0 of about 2.5 if social distancing measures are not taken.

No. Not trolling. I'm serious. I'm certain that it would take me seconds to find examples of poor spelling or clumsy grammar of your own. Up for the challenge?

As far as trolling is concerned, your post to Les Malone (the one I was responding to) was trolling. Can you not see that?

Here's what you said again ...and keep in mind it was ALL you said in that post.

Hardly "contributing to the conversation" as you put it. So with the greatest respect, if you're going to mash (as you're wont to do) make sure you mash on your own post.

Irony at it's finest.

At least when I was critiquing Les Malone I was also referring to the topic-- where as you're just making a completely personal rant towards me while making your own spelling & grammar mistakes. Can you contribute something to this thread that isn't a hatred to people that call out #VICBIAS whinging for what it is?

First of all - I am not a conspiracy theorist, but have just been following the numbers. It is an undeniable fact the death rates thankfully are far lower than projected, and the disease less severe, otherwise our ICU’s during the peak would have been full.

The reality is that NEXT time we will need to manage a Pandemic in another way because we will not have another 200 Billion to throw at the problem.
We may be forced to use the Swedish model.

You have been following the numbers? Such as?
The reason our ICUs are not full is because social distancing measures worked. I’ll concede that they worked better than we hoped. What we now know is that superspreading (ie one person spreading to many other people) only happens in indoor environments with sustained contact.
Perhaps next time, we’ll shut down harder and earlier for a shorter period, and recover earlier.

Remember that the annual Flu is not placed under the microscope or given the scrutiny that the Coronavirus has been. If the regular flu was the subject of extensive testing then I would expect the death rate to be higher than 30-70k you have correctly indicated.
The 30-70k are not confirmed tests of the flu, it’s an estimated number. Just like H1N1 is estimated to have killed 500,000 worldwide in 2009-10, both of those numbers are way higher than the ‘confirmed’ number of deaths which is tiny.

Once Covid is over there’ll be an official confirmed death toll (which US wise could be anywhere from 150,000-500,000, we’ll have to see how they go for the next year), and an estimated death toll that will be 2-10 times higher which would be the more comparable figure to use against the 30-70k number Flu and 500,000 for H1N1. Its not even close

And rightly so. Or do you completely absolve them of all responsibility?

Victoria has had approx. 450 cases of COVID since the BLM protest---- there's been 4 cases associated with the BLM protest, none of which were implied to have been spread at the protest itself. In the same timeframe we've had over a dozen schools closed as either students or teachers have tested positive for COVID. Shouldn't the focus then be on the early opening of schools because of the pressure from Dan Tehan & ScoMo; as there's been a significantly bigger impact on the upswing in case numbers than the protest?? You can't say that peoples views on staying at home didn't change due to the schools re-opening (which happened in the fortnight before the protest), because it's a fair assumption that if a child is safe to spend 6 hours at school each day that it's ok for similar sizes group to gather in a household?

Irony at it's finest.

At least when I was critiquing Les Malone I was also referring to the topic-- where as you're just making a completely personal rant towards me while making your own spelling & grammar mistakes. Can you contribute something to this thread that isn't a hatred to people that call out #VICBIAS whinging for what it is?

ROFLMAO!!!! You do know that wont is a word don't you. That's no spelling mistake mate.

wont adjective

English Language Learners Definition of wont (Entry 1 of 2)
formal : likely to do something : having a tendency to do something

The 30-70k are not confirmed tests of the flu, it’s an estimated number. Just like H1N1 is estimated to have killed 500,000 worldwide in 2009-10, both of those numbers are way higher than the ‘confirmed’ number of deaths which is tiny.

Once Covid is over there’ll be an official confirmed death toll (which US wise could be anywhere from 150,000-500,000, we’ll have to see how they go for the next year), and an estimated death toll that will be 2-10 times higher which would be the more comparable figure to use against the 30-70k number Flu and 500,000 for H1N1. Its not even close
...plus this CoVid death toll is despite severe public health measures which were not applied for the flu (although at least the flu has a vaccine).

ROFLMAO!!!! You do know that wont is a word don't you. That's no spelling mistake mate.

Just because it's in a dictionary doesn't make your sentence make any more coherent sense. ;)

But yes-- keep blaming the COVID spike on 4 cases from a Protest rather than looking at where the cases are actually coming from.

You have been following the numbers? Such as?
The reason our ICUs are not full is because social distancing measures worked. I’ll concede that they worked better than we hoped. What we now know is that superspreading (ie one person spreading to many other people) only happens in indoor environments with sustained contact.
Perhaps next time, we’ll shut down harder and earlier for a shorter period, and recover earlier.

I don’t think we’ll have the money next time to lockdown the Country - hence why I think we’ll look to the Swedish model and accept a higher death but not lockdown the Country.

Just because it's in a dictionary doesn't make your sentence make any more coherent sense. ;)

But yes-- keep blaming the COVID spike on 4 cases from a Protest rather than looking at where the cases are actually coming from.

There's nothing wrong with the sentence.

wont
adjective
1: ACCUSTOMED, USED he got up early as he is wont to do

Your latest sentence about coherence though, is itself incoherent. LOL. Can you see where this all leads? Having second thoughts about pulling up Les now?

Like I said before. There is rightly a sharp focus on the BLM protests. It was pure idiocy to achieve absolutely nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think we’ll have the money next time to lockdown the Country - hence why I think we’ll look to the Swedish model and accept a higher death but not lockdown the Country.

The Swedish model is producing more deaths, a similar contraction of the economy and is longer lasting.

The better model would have been a quicker shutdown for a shorter period of time leading to a quicker rebound.

There's nothing wrong with the sentence. Your latest sentence about coherence though, is itself incoherent. LOL. Can you see where this all leads? Having second thoughts about pulling up Les now?

Like I said before. There is rightly a sharp focus on the BLM protests. It was pure idiocy to achieve absolutely nothing.

Sounds like your obsessive posting habits towards me. ;)

You're embarrassing yourself and your fellow supporters again by stalking me around the main board.

The Swedish model is producing more deaths, a similar contraction of the economy and is longer lasting.

The better model would have been a quicker shutdown for a shorter period of time leading to a quicker rebound.

Agree about the Swedish model - but we will not have the money to repeat this exercise. We may have no choice but to accept a higher death rate and focus lockdown and restrictions on high risk groups.

Sounds like your obsessive posting habits towards me. ;)

You're embarrassing yourself and your fellow supporters again by stalking me around the main board.

So you're now adding a dose of paranoia to accompany your hypocrisy. Nice.

To the subject at hand, do you really think the BLM protests were a good idea? 5 cases directly linked (so far). God knows how many more indirectly.

I agree monetary wise this has taken an incredible toll and something we don’t want to happen again, but the Swedish model still has a large financial problem and also leads to more deaths.
I believe we instead need worldwide systems in place so that when the next pandemic hits, we can instantly shut country borders without any issues so there is only one affected country, and keep Australia’s interior economy working. That’s the only way to save the economy, which positively will also save the most lives.

So you're now adding paranoia to hypocrisy. Nice.

To the subject at hand, you really think the BLM protests were a good idea? 5 cases directly linked (so far). God knows how many more indirectly.

It's been 24 days since the BLM protest occurred in Melbourne.

...and 17 days since a BLM protest occured in Perth.

Based of your assumptions I guess Perth will be following the 10 Victorian postcodes into lockdown in about a week?

It's been 24 days since the BLM protest occurred in Melbourne.

...and 17 days since a BLM protest occured in Perth.

Based of your assumptions I guess Perth will be following the 10 Victorian postcodes into lockdown in about a week?

Based "of" my assumptions??? LOL.

Les Malone - do you see this hypocrisy? Gold.

No assumptions, just facts. 5 cases confirmed to be linked directly (so far).

Whilst I didn't agree with our protests either, we didn't have any cases at the time. Nowhere near as problematic.

Last edited:
If only Cotchin agreed with you.
He pretty much did didn’t he, he just won’t be there.
I couldn’t give two shits if our best 18 aren’t interested just send anyone and get it done.

“He said that decision followed a "genomic sequencing" briefing he received which showed that a "significant number" of outbreaks in the north of Melbourne were attributable to hotel quarantine staff members breaching infection control protocols.”

‘it was before blm. And blm had no effect in other states
You'd have to be an idiot to ignore the potential of 10k people marching together to spread this virus like a wildfire. Just remember, that the breakout in Italy was as severe as it was because it was traced to a football match. Other states had no where near those number of protesters, your chance to spread a virus is exponentially higher when you add thousands more people shuffled together in city streets and public squares.

The protesters are bunch of selfish idiots. Middle of a pandemic and they decide it's a good idea to chant "black lives matter" when the issue is predominantly in another country. Government should've said no. The health and safety of our citizens trump pointing out human rights violations by police forces in the US (no pun intended).

Victoria has had approx. 450 cases of COVID since the BLM protest---- there's been 4 cases associated with the BLM protest, none of which were implied to have been spread at the protest itself. In the same timeframe we've had over a dozen schools closed as either students or teachers have tested positive for COVID. Shouldn't the focus then be on the early opening of schools because of the pressure from Dan Tehan & ScoMo; as there's been a significantly bigger impact on the upswing in case numbers than the protest?? You can't say that peoples views on staying at home didn't change due to the schools re-opening (which happened in the fortnight before the protest), because it's a fair assumption that if a child is safe to spend 6 hours at school each day that it's ok for similar sizes group to gather in a household?
Four cases that we know of. The fact of the matter is most cases are going to be unaccounted for.

Either way it's dumb having that many people in such a relatively small area in the middle of a pandemic. It just increases the risk of the virus spreading significantly.

Four cases that we know of. The fact of the matter is most cases are going to be unaccounted for.

Either way it's dumb having that many people in such a relatively small area in the middle of a pandemic. It just increases the risk of the virus spreading significantly.

Additionally, many cases were blamed on "family gatherings/BBQ's". I wonder how many of the BLM throng went to family BBQ's after the protests and their cases were blamed on them being with their family rather than 10,000 other idiots earlier in the day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back