NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

So just to be clear, you think pretending to the public that there are no gay players in the AFL because of the potential circus around letting it be known there is a gay player is what gay players want their working environment to look like? That it’s a happy choice they make, that their partners don’t want to join them at the Brownlow, and not a sign that something is still wrong with society and the AFL?

It’s possible to understand why gay players wouldn’t want to come out and acknowledge that those reasons are ****ed up. Which was kinda the whole point of the show.
I think you are easily intelligent enough to get my point, but is too close to to the truth so you just respond with this irrelevant waffle.

Straight women in my experience don't feel as threatened by gay women, as some straight men do by gay men. Those passive-hostile straight men still live amongst us. I often think they may be inverting and projecting their own subconscious proclivities ... what else could produce the attitude given religion is less likely to be an EXCUSE these days?
After about 75% of a lifetime I can pretty conclusively say that Straight men that feel threatened by gay men for the most part have never met any.
The perceived threat is almost 100% based on misinformation and lies from peers, religious organizations opr peers involved in religious organisations.

Take religious organisations out of the discussion and there would never have ever been an issue.

Remember Tom Morris?

Last night he won the prestigious Alf Brown award for the years best overall media performer.

SEN posted about the award on Twitter with him standing next to Gerard Whateley (who also won an award).

18 months ago was the whole Megan Barnard debacle... 18 months.

Definitely a safe space in the AFL world for homosexuals.

Last edited:

Remember Tom Morris?

Last night he won the prestigious Alf Brown award for the years best overall media performer.

SEN posted about the award on Twitter with him standing next to Gerard Whateley (who also won an award).

18 months ago was the whole Megan Barnard debacle... 18 months.

Definitely a safe space in the AFL world for homosexuals.
Apart from his obvious stupidity outing a colleague I question whether Morris journalistically deserved the award.

99% of the general population could not give a shite what consenting adults do to each others genitals.. Meh.
Unfortunately those who care seem over represented in the media and in politics (see us Republican Party, eg Ron de santis)

Take it up with the AFL, who, and i cannot stress this enough, admitted in the four corners piece that they are not doing enough.
Did they (afl) mention in the piece specifics about what had not been implemented? I think it would be more useful to know what parts of their own policy had not yet been done

I think it's your interpretation of what's complying with WHS. My assumption is that your view is the fact the AFL welcome anyone, job done, but any abuse that may be received by players isn't their problem if they denounce it?

Just apply that logic to other work spaces exposed to regular interaction with the public. The healthcare system, nurse, paramedic, doctor, their colleagues may be friendly but an EM nurse is coping regular abuse from the public making them stressed, hating work and afraid to attend. They speak to their employer but the employer says "well we welcome you, it's not other employees abusing you, so it's not our problem".

It doesn't fly, can the employer control every member of the public? No. Can they do more to make employees safe and attempt to prevent staff being spoken to in that way? Yes. And that is the challenge for most work places, including the AFL.
In the example given the hospital would aim to sanction patients who repeatedly engage in that behaviour (via use of a committee to review for a behaviour contract/ not welcome notice) but yes nothing can be done if the abuse was happening outside the workplace (eg social media by some of the antivax side during covid lockdowns)

I am more concerned by all the thug gangs out there roming the streets and the current cost of living than who a player has sex with. Go figure.

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Better to focus on a made up “problem” than to worry about teenaged boys feeling welcome in sporting clubs?

Exhibit A: The negativity is quite something

Exhibit B: well compiled tweet this one.

Exhibit C: the many bizarre rumours on here in the past and on Reddit. eg."[PlayerX] likes to ride the chocolate escalator. "

Exhibit D: A general public one and involving those knvolved in the gane that should know better. The negativity of Umpires in the organisation I'm involved in towards pride game, with some awful homophobic remarks made towards a club in the comp carrying it out. One Umpire boasted about how we would tell that club to "stick their NTTAWWTter s**t where the sun don't shine".

99 percent don't care. I call bullshit.

We really need to start treating homophobia like we treat racism at games. It is going to have to come to this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be gay, no self respecting NTTAWWT would go out with nails looking like that.
Bloke I used to sit next to at work would have a shoddy nail job on half the time. Told him they needed work on a few occasions.

In his defence, he didn't go out much.

One of the other gay blokes had regular manicures though but mostly when he went out to perform drag, which he's since given up.

The comments about how poorly applied the polish is was spot on though.

Should've done a touch up, or removed them before the game, tbh.

The other negative comments can go in the bin.
what if it was done by like a tween kid or something

or me, I'd be about that good at doing someone's nails

what if it was done by like a tween kid or something

or me, I'd be about that good at doing someone's nails
Looks like he did a once over instead of doing a base and topcoat.

Practice makes perfect!

Probably also didn't expect a close-up shot of his nail polish to cause a shitstorm on Twitter either.

The bold assumption that he must be gay because he's wearing nail-polish is pathetic also. He may very well be but what if it was his kid sister who did it for him? He'd probably feel obliged to make a statement, just to reduce the attention, which is even worse.

Looks like he did a once over instead of doing a base and topcoat.
like I said its the kind of job me or my kid would do
Practice makes perfect!
I'm really bad with my non dominant hand
Probably also didn't expect a close-up shot of his nail polish to cause a shitstorm on Twitter either.
this is the sad reality though of where we're at currently with people thinking the nail polish impacts football performance

he bold assumption that he must be gay because he's wearing nail-polish is pathetic also. He may very well be but what if it was his kid sister who did it for him? He'd probably feel obliged to make a statement, just to reduce the attention, which is even worse.
dudes have been wearing nail polish for decades and yep having to make a statement about it at all is just stupid

I have no faith in AFL supporters. While I’d like to think the first person to come out would be universally celebrated, we all know that bogan AFL fans will use it as an opportunity to hurl abuse.
Your spot on today society can quite and vile on how they conduct themselves.

Unfortunately those who care seem over represented in the media and in politics (see us Republican Party, eg Ron de santis)
Or Sky News or Daily Mail Australia comments sections, or news.com.au ones for that matter.
The LNP nutties and Hillsong terds on those pages are an embarrassment!

Finally got around to seeing the 'Four Corners Homophobia in AFL' yesterday and I gotta say Bob Murphy is a real piece of work.

Obviously he has some perceived internalised homophobia for which he feels he needs repentance, that's irrational but understandable.

Remarkably though, him needing players to wear a sign of identification of their immutable characteristics for him to be comfortable is the most ironic lack of insight. By announcing that he wants a gay player on his team is the kind of prejudice that he's ostensibly wanting to stamp out - unwittingly creating more division through his fixation of eliminating it - truly pathological.

We've had more players leave in the past two years since his perplexing role of "senior nice guy in charge of changing the culture" than in the previous eight combined.

Last edited:
Finally got around to seeing the 'Four Corners Homophobia in AFL' yesterday and I gotta say Bob Murphy is a real piece of work.

Obviously he has some perceived internalised homophobia for which he feels he needs repentance, that's irrational but understandable.

Remarkably though, him needing players to wear a sign of identification of their immutable characteristics for him to be comfortable is the most ironic lack of insight. By announcing that he wants a gay player on his team is the kind of prejudice that he's ostensibly wanting to stamp out - unwittingly creating more division through his fixation of eliminating it - truly pathological.

We've had more players leave in the past two years since his perplexing role of "senior nice guy in charge of changing the culture" than in the previous eight combined.

respectfully, what the *

Hoh boy that's a lot of big words amounting to a big pile of garbage. I find Bob a little sanctimonious/cringe at times, but all he was saying here was that he believes a player coming out would be overwhelmingly met with support, love and pride by their club. And that he thinks it would have the added effect of galvanising the group. If you read anything else into it, that's just saying something about you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back