NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course not.

Any newspaper doing an article about Darcy, would no doubt be told by Darcy the correct way to refer to Darcy in the article.

But you knew that, just as you knew that I already said that people who know or deal with Darcy should and do doubt do,address Darcy appropriately.

I'm never going to meet Darcy so why do I need to know about him / her being non-binary?

There's probably someone else non-binary living a few streets away, but they don't feel the need to put all info that in a newspaper.

That's my point - and well you knew it.
They are also not a public figure.

You do realise that they write stories about the AFLW that mention players but they are not interviewed.

Are you suggesting that there is some sort of secret message sent out to any newspaper covering any sport to cover each player or would you make a player like Darcy contact each and every one individually to make sure they know while not telling people in general?

It is a curiosity why there has never been an openly gay player in the AFL.

Clubs need to look at their environment and culture to ensure a fully safe workplace for true acceptance of these players.
I watched the program and got the feeling that the reason was because the players were happy to keep their sexaulity to themselves for the most part.
The feeling was that the program was stretching a long bow to support the premise they put forward.

A point I have made numerous times in this thread.

Time truly is a flat circle
Was thinking of you earlier, but not this post.

I think it was you who said the Mardi gras had a wide variety of music including rock and metal.

Well its the local LGBTI whatever festival here, local radio is streaming from there, so I've been listening to it while in the car to the panels and music.

There's only so many times I can hear I've been to paradise but I've never been to me, there's no electric guitar music at all except ABBA (nttiawwt).

Going to a pride event and hearing limp bizkit is like, *******, feels like going to mars or something. Not something I could ever imaging to experience.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Was thinking of you earlier, but not this post.

I think it was you who said the Mardi gras had a wide variety of music including rock and metal.

Well its the local LGBTI whatever festival here, local radio is streaming from there, so I've been listening to it while in the car to the panels and music.

There's only so many times I can hear I've been to paradise but I've never been to me, there's no electric guitar music at all except ABBA (nttiawwt).

Going to a pride event and hearing limp bizkit is like, *******, feels like going to mars or something. Not something I could ever imaging to experience.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
It was sick. To be fair Mardi Gras literally engulfs all of the city so all the different bars are doing something Mardi Gras esque.

While there are undoubtedly players in the AFL who are gay, it would be safe to assume that it is at a lower rate than society in general. However with the women's AFL, and women's sport in general, the exact opposite is true.
If you look at the Matildas as a recent example, I think that about half of them are gay (nothing wrong with this of course, just a curious observation). An article from this year states 9 main team players and 3 reserves are openly gay. That's a large percentage.
I think it deserves its own thread, but it is a curious social anomaly in my opinion, why does men's sport and women's sport differ so greatly with their percentage of gay players?
(Note: This may be a huge generalisation, but I think if you look at a lot of major sporting leagues around the world you would find a greater % of gay women in comparison with gay men in the comparative league. IE: NBA - WNBA, AFL - WAFL, Tennis etc
Thoughts?

While there are undoubtedly players in the AFL who are gay, it would be safe to assume that it is at a lower rate than society in general. However with the women's AFL, and women's sport in general, the exact opposite is true.
If you look at the Matildas as a recent example, I think that about half of them are gay (nothing wrong with this of course, just a curious observation). An article from this year states 9 main team players and 3 reserves are openly gay. That's a large percentage.
I think it deserves its own thread, but it is a curious social anomaly in my opinion, why does men's sport and women's sport differ so greatly with their percentage of gay players?
(Note: This may be a huge generalisation, but I think if you look at a lot of major sporting leagues around the world you would find a greater % of gay women in comparison with gay men in the comparative league. IE: NBA - WNBA, AFL - WAFL, Tennis etc
Thoughts?
Around 80% of the Brisbane AFLW side a couple of years ago were gay.

Mate from work was the secretary from Brisbane pride and they were sponsored by the Lions. He was told this by the club president at an AFLW match.

Thoughts?
Maybe it's because women are more capable and tolerant than men in dealing with other sexualities and have made sport welcoming for gay people.

Maybe it's because women are more capable and tolerant than men in dealing with other sexualities and have made sport welcoming for gay people.
Straight women in my experience don't feel as threatened by gay women, as some straight men do by gay men. Those passive-hostile straight men still live amongst us. I often think they may be inverting and projecting their own subconscious proclivities ... what else could produce the attitude given religion is less likely to be an EXCUSE these days?

I'm sure all the gay players let their family, friends and people they work with playing footy know thier orientation. You know, people that are actually important to their everyday lives. And they don't care.

Yet it is some great mystery that they don't announce to the media and idiots sitting on the internet details about their private lives.

Honestly.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. I have heard first hand that if you're not gay, then you are an outsider at a women's AFL club.

I'm sure all the gay players let their family, friends and people they work with playing footy know thier orientation. You know, people that are actually important to their everyday lives. And they don't care.

Yet it is some great mystery that they don't announce to the media and idiots sitting on the internet details about their private lives.

Honestly.
Surely you’re being deliberately obtuse. If you could point to one heterosexual player who deliberately hid their sexuality in the name of privacy, you might have a point. The fact it’s only gay people who are expected to keep it private (secret) from the public is exactly the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know for a fact Aker still talks fondly of calling out Bob Murphy as gay in the Western Bulldogs dressing room and that’s why he was run out of the club. Weird flex.

Surely you’re being deliberately obtuse. If you could point to one heterosexual player who deliberately hid their sexuality in the name of privacy, you might have a point. The fact it’s only gay people who are expected to keep it private (secret) from the public is exactly the issue.
fmd not announcing it to all 25 million people in the country is not keeping a 'secret'. The people in their lives that matter would know.

The biggest homophobes in the conversation are the media who want to pile on and demand certain people share their private sexual lives with them so they can use it for their own financial gain, at the expense of the mental health of the people involved
Spot on, would set media people share their own private sexual lives, I believe not.

fmd not announcing it to all 25 million people in the country is not keeping a 'secret'. The people in their lives that matter would know.
If there’s an attempt to conceal it from becoming public knowledge, then that’s keeping it secret. As I said, heterosexual people don’t need to announce or hide their sexuality. At some point they just start dating someone, they go out in public as a couple, they might post to their socials and if they are a footballer, it will become known. No announcement, just acceptance. If someone is deliberately not going out in public with their partner, not putting it on socials because they are worried about the reaction to the existence of their relationship, that’s a problem.

You don’t think it’s odd only gay men generally want to keep their private lives to themselves while every hetero person isn’t bothered?

I sadly think Akers comments are pretty common place.

"I dont care what you do, just dont shove it in my face".

If you then extend that to noting that holding hands with your same sex partner is equated to "shoving it in someones face" its not great.
Soz for the late reply.

What exactly does Aker mean by 'just don't shove it in my face'? From the program I watched it was never explained what he thought was 'shoving in my face'.

If you then extend that to a couple holding hands as 'shoving it in my face' then that is indeed intolerant.

At the other end of the scale, if we were to be bombarded with tv advertising advocating for inclusivity for the gay community like we do with those nauseous gambling ads then I'd view that as 'shoving it in face'.

Of course that is my opinion and would vary from others of what is 'shoving in face'.

IMHO I don't see any current form of advocacy for gay rights as being shoved in anyone's face.

And an irrelevant bit, Aker is a dickhead.

If there’s an attempt to conceal it from becoming public knowledge, then that’s keeping it secret. As I said, heterosexual people don’t need to announce or hide their sexuality. At some point they just start dating someone, they go out in public as a couple, they might post to their socials and if they are a footballer, it will become known. No announcement, just acceptance. If someone is deliberately not going out in public with their partner, not putting it on socials because they are worried about the reaction to the existence of their relationship, that’s a problem.

You don’t think it’s odd only gay men generally want to keep their private lives to themselves while every hetero person isn’t bothered?
Well as an AFL footy player flogs in the media and on the internet are going to latch on and go "Ohmhergeherd, teh first gay player. Think how many articles I can milk out of this or likes on forums." Yeah why wouldn't someone announce it to the entire country and be made into the centre of a circus? If they were nobodies I'm sure they would go out in public with their partners or put it on social media. But they aren't, they are in the 'spotlight' so have to put up with this sort of nosey, self serving idiocy.

Once again because the obvious seems hard to ram home but all the people within their actual lives that, you know matter would know. I'll give you a tip, that's not any journo that would do anything for a story or random posters on forums like BF.

Well as an AFL footy player flogs in the media and on the internet are going to latch on and go "Ohmhergeherd, teh first gay player. Think how many articles I can milk out of this or likes on forums." Yeah why wouldn't someone announce it to the entire country and be made into the centre of a circus? If they were nobodies I'm sure they would go out in public with their partners or put it on social media. But they aren't, they are in the 'spotlight' so have to put up with this sort of nosey, self serving idiocy.

Once again because the obvious seems hard to ram home but all the people within their actual lives that, you know matter would know. I'll give you a tip, that's not any journo that would do anything for a story or random posters on forums like BF.
So just to be clear, you think pretending to the public that there are no gay players in the AFL because of the potential circus around letting it be known there is a gay player is what gay players want their working environment to look like? That it’s a happy choice they make, that their partners don’t want to join them at the Brownlow, and not a sign that something is still wrong with society and the AFL?

It’s possible to understand why gay players wouldn’t want to come out and acknowledge that those reasons are ****ed up. Which was kinda the whole point of the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back