Roast State of the modern game; Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

It will bite hawthorn on the arse, at least this week

You'll be right. It will likely be gone within a fortnight.

About as stupid an "interpretation" as there has ever been.

For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose
of the football when:
(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;
(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the
Player’s possession.

Over time, part b and prior opportunity "interpretations" began to massively outweigh the importance of part a. - to the point where the current "interpretation" of part a. is in fact the precise opposite of what the rule very clearly states. The player who genuinely attempts, but does not succeed, is penalised every single time.

THe poorly conceived events of the last two days overwhelmingly reward the tackler over the ball player. Applying part a. as it is clearly written may help, but it I don't believe that's going to happen.

I thought it was a disgrace that let the Saints player get away with it and then pinged the Carlton player for exactly the same thing - idiots.

I think we have seen yet another stupid "interpretation change".

It's like the umps think "s**t we're supposed to pay more HTB and we haven't given one yet this quarter,". So they pay an utterly stupid one.

All I ask is that everyone sits down with the rules, takes note of what they really say, and what they don't say, and give that a spin to see what happens.

Clarko seems a little bored with it all and peeved that he's going interstate for 6 weeks.

So what you saying?

So if you know to are going to get tackle, and get tackle as you get the ball, then it’s holding the ball?

Wow, how do you work out what a player knows or doesn’t know?
If prior opportunity is abolished then it doesn’t matter. If you’re tackled and you have the ball without disposing correctly, it’s holding the ball.

So why would you be first to the ball in a stoppage situation?
1. Same reason as always: to get the ball going to your advantage.
2. Because allowing opposition to potentially get possession is too great a risk, because it will be difficult to get it back. You’ll be relying on a skill error or a really good tackle to get it back.
3. You’re overestimating how many stoppages there would be. It would only happen when two players grab the ball at the same time, it goes out of bounds or after a goal. It will be a game won more by strategy and man-on-man contests than by stoppage set-plays.

Saints have a good game style.
For the doubters, that style of football is what you expect to see with a 5-5-5 15 aside game.
The way the Saints played in the first half was typical of a 15 aside game.
To the Saint credit, and to the Blues to a lesser extent in the second half, it was an open game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get the ball rather than the other team get the ball.

Hardly any drops or throws and allplayers went for the ball. The fear of the tougher interpretation was enough.

Lets hope it continues.

Saints have a good game style.

Agree. Umpires were much better - still let a lot of throws go, but the players seem to have already begun to adjust, working to get clear before trying to take possession.

It will raise the value of the true bulls, negate a lot of the coaches negative setups and create more free-running plays.

If it continues, I expect we will see the return of the 'small forward' as a true rover who uses speed and agility in the middle.

Agree. Umpires were much better - still let a lot of throws go, but the players seem to have already begun to adjust, working to get clear before trying to take possession.

It will raise the value of the true bulls, negate a lot of the coaches negative setups and create more free-running plays.

If it continues, I expect we will see the return of the 'small forward' as a true rover who uses speed and agility in the middle.

I'm old and cynical.

I expect that this latest fad will die within a fortnight.

And if it does not, then coaches will game it, just like they have every other "interpretation".

I'm old and cynical.

And if it does not, then coaches will game it, just like they have every other "interpretation".

Agree. Without the commentators supporting it, the public will turn and the AFL will concede (again).

You cannot educate the public without educating the commentators first.

The commentators seem to project to lowest common denominator (they can't possibly lack that much football knowledge), so it will need to be AFL-directed to support the change.

I was actually impressed with the STK/CAR players ability to adjust so quickly - I genuinely expected it to take a few weeks.

Watch just a bit of the last Q last night and glad most seemed to think the game was better in regards to more 'strict' umpiring. Pity one of the few pieces of play I saw was I think a Carlton player getting rid of the ball only to have his opponent flatten him into the ground and ended up lying on his back.. play on. Goes down the other end and fullback/forward grapple... holding the man. Yes the free was there, but pay the really really obvious one. Nobody even mentioned it, that is how immune to it we have become.

Last edited:
Not anti Hawks, you guys are a great club with a smart coach.

My point is that Clarkson wasn’t impressive with the umpiring to affected Hawthorn.

He is only bringing this up to influence umpires.

I have no issue with that, because he wants to win but don’t piss in my pocket and tell he is that interested about the look of the game.

Clarkson wants more holding the ball because it advantages his team.

My point is that if players are getting called holding the ball too much, they won’t go for the ball.

i think you may have misread this one:

1. The game was so poor in quality that you must beleive Clarkson was genuinely concerned about the state of the game;

2. He has been on about this point for years - it's not to help the Hawks in 2020

3. Currently i would rate Hawks as one of the poorest tackling teams in the comp. It doesn't come naturally to our players - we can do it well on occasions. I can't see how we get any advantage from a stricter interpretation.

4. We rarely win free kick counts. Clarkson doesn't hold the power you think he does.

The best and only effective way to get more free kicks (favorable umpiring) is for clubs to send letters to the AFL on mondays, which most clubs do.

Last edited:
I'm old and cynical.

Yeh but it’s not and shouldn’t be a fad.

It’s a reasonable start. But perhaps we need to see teams with a more congestive style go at it.

I do agree and fear the stricter interpretation will need re-emphasising as we go, but I can’t see how the AFL can’t keep that focus up.

I still will want to see more duty of care on the tackler when it comes to not contacting the head, neck , shoulders and pushing in the back. Esp for the player in a pack situation.

Yeh but it’s not and shouldn’t be a fad.

It’s a reasonable start. But perhaps we need to see teams with a more congestive style go at it.

I do agree and fear the stricter interpretation will need re-emphasising as we go, but I can’t see how the AFL can’t keep that focus up.

I still will want to see more duty of care on the tackler when it comes to not contacting the head, neck , shoulders and pushing in the back. Esp for the player in a pack situation.
It's hardly a novel idea. If those that be can loosen off the laws, then they can tighten up.

I would politely point out that of the people posting in this thread and championing the end of prior opportunity, the immediate execution of any player who even looks like he is HTB, and lots more free kicks coz lots more free kicks will open up the game. Just coz.

90% of those people are Hawthorn supporters.

Because Clarko or ...because Hawthorn indeed.

If Clarko said the sun wasn't going to rise on Tuesday, half of the Hawthorn supporter base would take a sickie Monday to buy up on torches and candles.
Assuming you were happy with how the game was umpired last night?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back