Review Player review v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
A lot worked well tonight, not least of all Geelong being two players down and there being no score reviews... tough in those conditions to be without your leader. In any case we still put together a nice performance. Setting the tone early appears to be a bit of trademark.

BOG for me was Degoey, the cream rises to the top in these conditions. He was clean, kept his feet and kicked cleanly. 5 goals under tough personal circumstances should give him some joy and a much needed distraction.

Grundy was just a beast, did what he needed to do without a notable ruckman to face. 11 hit outs to advantage really helped, particularly the set play to Crisp off the square. He really is a unicorn with his all round game.

Pendles - it’s so reassuring I’m wet conditions to have him in the side. He is one of a kind, does everything and does it cleaner and smarter than anybody I’ve ever seen.

Adams - doesn’t have the natural class of a Pendlebury so understandably made some errors in disposal, but he was largely very clean also. Converted a crucial goal which was a really weak aspect of his game a couple of years back. An underrated star, with his grunt and ability to now impact and be damaging with ball in hand.

Treloar - I really don’t get how people can knock this guy. Gives his all for every minute of the game, accumulates the ball and clearances at will. His disposal is suspect at times, not everyone can be like Pendlebury.Adz is similar to Dangerfield, one is lauded the other criticised. I don’t get it, another outstanding game.

Elliot - didn’t get much of it, but was damaging when he did with his disposal and decision making. Harassed and tackled well also. Never gives up a shot in goal opportunity, you sort of want that attribute from your star players...at least pretend you might pass it off :)

Mayne - has been building nicely, back to his effective best I thought tonight. Has played a variety of roles over the past month, and I thought criticism of him was harsh. He plays a role and gets the job done. 9 tackles tonight, was in the right spots at the right time to affect the contest.

Daicos - like his father needs only a glimpse as goal to score. His snap was first class, didn’t even look at the goal. Very clean, and a great decision maker...doesn’t rush and doesn’t kick blindly either.

Brown - I think he’s due for a spell, had a good few games that will hold him in good stead for further development. As you would expect from a Brown will always impact in some way, pressured well but I think his decision making and execution was poor tonight. I’d bring in Sier next week.

Wills - 13 touches and one clearance, I’ve been calling for his head since he came in. He is not AFL standard, perhaps they hope he’ll build confidence as the season progresses...coaches no best I guess. To me he’s just not clean enough off the deck, doesn’t make the right decisions putting team mates under pressure. He’s too slow and does not impact offensively...not sure what the upside is. I’d rather play a Murphy or an Appleby.

Phillips - is finding his groove on the wing, he loves an uncontested ball. I don’t love him, but when we are winning the ball he does well to get in positions to receive it...I guess that is a skill and a need. Had a good outside players game tonight, still some improvement to come I hope. His numbers are down.

Maynard - he’s just a beast and very clean by foot. I can’t imagine forwards like being in his vicinity.

Crisp - I think he hasn’t been as damaging since Howe went down, perhaps doesn’t have the luxury to run forward as freely, hopefully that balance improves as they build more confidence inthe backline. Had a good game, flawless really.

Moore - rarely beaten, aside from that Rohan 1 v1. What a natural talent, has everything. I wonder whether he deserves a spell given his soft tissue history?? Tough night for talls, but he mopped up well and transitioned our of Defence well tonight. AA CHB for sure.

Roughy - was solid in a tough conditions for talls. Played on Hawkins for most of the night and did well. His disposal is first rate. Not sure what the issue is with his missus, hope everything’s ok and that if it is affecting him that he goes home or has a spell.

IQ - didn’t have the freedom to run and carry like last week. Was he tagged or perhaps they just made sure to press a bit better in the forward line. Low score so he couldn’t have been too bad down back.

Atu - I was thrilled with his performance last week, he was lost at sea tonight. There was one notable tackle and not much else to report, not sure if he gets a game next week...coaches will know best. perhaps a tagging role next week?

WHE - so frustrating when he’s your target in the forward 50. Always plays from behind, he’s soft. I have a real distrust for soft players.

Stephenson - he’s developing a bit of a down hill skier reputation in my books, I’m really not a fan. When things are going well and he has a paddock to run into to mark and goal then great, when he doesn’t what does he do? Pulls out of contests, panics with ball in hand. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, trade whilst his value is still high.We have too many soft players in the team and you can’t win premierships that way.

Noble - I was hypercritical of him when he got dropped. Played an outstanding return game I thought in the wet. Was assured and clean with ball in hand, didn’t let the ball out the back either tonight. Good response after being dropped, that’s character!

Varcoe - another good game from him. Love what he brings, speed, class and some X factor. A definite 22 player, and particularly come finals for me! Doesn’t get much of it, but not everybody can. He plays his role and adds pressure and affects the contest.

Great assessment, although I beg to disagree on a couple.
IMHO; and I may be wrong ( I often am, so my wife tells me ) but I think Roughy has had, back to back shockers. Tonight he took 2 marks ( in fairness one these was a tough one and he took it well, last qtr I think ), dropped 3 very easy ones, elected to punch the ball twice when he should marked comfortably and unsuccessfully lost or fumbled numerous other marking contests. Last week he kept getting into position to contest marks but repeatedly failed to actually contest at all. I am not saying that he isn’t capable of being a very good defender for us, just that at the moment he is more of a liability than an asset. I don’t know anything about his personal situation, all I know is, something isn’t working for him. I think he needs a break.
Stepho has really started working a lot harder over the last 2 weeks and he’s not far off from an explosive return the the form that we expect. I thought that we saw glimpses of that again tonight, be patient it‘s coming.

Stepho has really started working a lot harder over the last 2 weeks
No he hasn’t, you can see the issue that kept him out earlier in the season, a lack of any defensive pressure and very much a downhill skier. Agree with an earlier post about being good trade currency especially for a power forward.

Adams dropped two uncontested chest marks that directly related in goals.

The rating from the OP is a good illustration of the dramatic overrating of Quaynor... Tagged from the backline? In his second game? He is not a run and carry player yet, that is why you saw less run and carry from him.

great team effort..

i'm not sure how much preparation goes into Rupe doing his ruck work but he needs to have a chat to shaun griggs about the role. There was a few occasions where he wasnt under the drop of the ball. The strategy of playing only one ruck has its merits including the focus on de goey up forward which he seems to like, but we need to have a working plan in place when grundy is off the ground.

great team effort..

i'm not sure how much preparation goes into Rupe doing his ruck work but he needs to have a chat to shaun griggs about the role. There was a few occasions where he wasnt under the drop of the ball. The strategy of playing only one ruck has its merits including the focus on de goey up forward which he seems to like, but we need to have a working plan in place when grundy is off the ground.

If we are going to continue with the idiotic "one ruckman" plan then we need to make some proper sacrifices on the field when Grundy goes off the ground. Roughead is a premiership ruckman and Moore has excellent ruck skills. We need to utilise one of them when needed and just hope the backline can cope for 5-10 minutes. Not ideal but better than Wills (or nobody at all which happened a lot last night). Better still, play Cox.

Treloar our best for mine. Was a beast. Underrated.
Grundy close to best as well... unfortunately for him the bar is so high these days!!
Adams was great despite a dropped mark
Maynard is in the form Crisp was in last year
Crisp played to the standard of last year
Moore another AA worthy game
Gooey dangerous all night
WHE dangerous although should have kicked the sealer from 10 out after taking the mark of the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it wasn't for those stupid little short passes, he'd have been BOG.
Ruckmen cant short pass!! If the player isn't 20 metres in the clear, just boot the thing 60 metres down the ground.

Grundy isn’t a ruckman. He’s a complete footballer who plays in the ruck. No issues with anything he attempts to do.

I find the suggestion to trade Stevo quite weird.he is very young dynamic fast accurate and still learning.

Yep, Bucks has sent him back to school to learn the craft of playing away from the goalsquare. We will be better off for this development program but it might take time.

Great assessment, although I beg to disagree on a couple.
IMHO; and I may be wrong ( I often am, so my wife tells me ) but I think Roughy has had, back to back shockers. Tonight he took 2 marks ( in fairness one these was a tough one and he took it well, last qtr I think ), dropped 3 very easy ones, elected to punch the ball twice when he should marked comfortably and unsuccessfully lost or fumbled numerous other marking contests. Last week he kept getting into position to contest marks but repeatedly failed to actually contest at all. I am not saying that he isn’t capable of being a very good defender for us, just that at the moment he is more of a liability than an asset. I don’t know anything about his personal situation, all I know is, something isn’t working for him. I think he needs a break.
Stepho has really started working a lot harder over the last 2 weeks and he’s not far off from an explosive return the the form that we expect. I thought that we saw glimpses of that again tonight, be patient it‘s coming.
Fair point on Roughy, I just thought a backline that conceded 5 goals and his direct opponent Hawkins kicking 0.1 he must have done alright in wet conditions.

Stepho, is it just me or has he pulled out of two contests...this week in the forward line at the start of the game, and last week in the backline. To me that is inexcusable. Pendles is not the toughest player going around, but he does what he needs to when it’s his turn. My concern is that you can teach somebody to go for the ball when it’s there to be one. Just look at WHE.

Not sure what the issue is with his missus, hope everything’s ok and that if it is affecting him that he goes home or has a spell.

Have people forgotten that his wife is with him in perth? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Depending on the issue, I still think it would weigh on his mind. Everybody deals with things differently

I think Stephenson is going along ok.

Last week we had Mihocek looking dangerous, and this week we had De Goey. I think the dynamic of our forward line will change week to week depending on who looks hot or who has the right match-up.

Stephenson is finding himself up the ground because we've finally conned onto the fact that we have too many of the same type player competing for the same position. So we've seen Elliott and Stephenson push higher to open it up for Mihocek and De Goey. Stephenson's turn will come as well and we might find him get the one out match-up inside 50 soon.

Right now, we are trying to develop his all round game. He can't go kicking the first goal every week, then go missing for the next 3 quarters.

I think he has played a role. Last night he played pretty deep in the last quarter and got some important touches late.

Stephenson is a third year player who missed half of his second year and had a pretty debilitating illness at the start of the third. Trading him is a ridiculous call.
Well if a quality key position tall is a need, you have to give something up for him...unless we can snare a free agent I guess. Stepho has currency, we have a lot of quality small forwards and Stepho for me is soft and I despise soft players.

You have to give up something to get something...Depends on your perspective, does our list need improving in the key forward positions?

Well if a quality key position tall is a need, you have to give something up for him...unless we can snare a free agent I guess. Stepho has currency, we have a lot of quality small forwards and Stepho for me is soft and I despise soft players.

You have to give up something to get something...Depends on your perspective, does our list need improving in the key forward positions?
You have a short memory - I believe it was his first game - he laid an astonishing tackle, wrestled the ball away and kicked the goal.
He has had a truly debilitating illness - you need to understand that it will take time for him to get over it.

You have a short memory - I believe it was his first game - he laid an astonishing tackle, wrestled the ball away and kicked the goal.
He has had a truly debilitating illness - you need to understand that it will take time for him to get over it.
I’ve had/got EBV it’s not debilitating for everybody, the research is not definitive and there are no direct links to chronic fatigue. Pendles had it early days too.

Definitely his lack of prep will show with his ability to cover the ground etc, but most players are in that category. My question on him though is not his ability, but more his heart...I think he’s soft. You can’t teach somebody to be hard, and if someone needs to be traded to make way for a quality KPF, he’d be my pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back