Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

No trade. Unless he demands to walk give him an offer that recognises his 2017-19 output.

I didn't think it was possible but the entire club seems to be even more dysfunctional than it was in the last 10 years. There might be reasons and excuses but it is what it is. You can't judge proven talent on their output of the last few weeks.

Odds on Brown will come good. 200cm high quality key forwards don't just drop in your lap. We got very lucky to score one at pick #47 and should still fight tooth and claw to hold on to him. I don't want to contemplate our long term forward line with an overloaded 20 game Nick Larkey slowly rooting his back (and our expectations) into oblivion.

Nobody is going to give us an amazing offer. Draft picks in 2020 and possibly even 2021 due to the broken underage year for those kids will be more hit and miss than ever, an extra first or second rounder will be like carrying in one in 2010-11 when the expansion clubs had already shredded the talent pool.

What I don't need to see is the next Brad McKenzie loping around in our VFL side while our former key forward still yet to turn 30 still with a huge engine and super fit becomes the toast of the town as he spearheads Collingwood's top 2 aspirations.

I'd actually give him the week off this week, get hi refreshed and ready to go the following.

*Also though, I was tempted to change your post to "He needs a steak"
He looks disinterested if I am to be honest.
What gets forgotten is round 1 and 2 when we won he was pretty invisible then. Somethings not right with him at all.

Has anyone ever gone to training and watched Tarrant playing on him, does he ever take a mark against him?

No trade. Unless he demands to walk give him an offer that recognises his 2017-19 output.

I didn't think it was possible but the entire club seems to be even more dysfunctional than it was in the last 10 years. There might be reasons and excuses but it is what it is. You can't judge proven talent on their output of the last few weeks.

Odds on Brown will come good. 200cm high quality key forwards don't just drop in your lap. We got very lucky to score one at pick #47 and should still fight tooth and claw to hold on to him. I don't want to contemplate our long term forward line with an overloaded 20 game Nick Larkey slowly rooting his back (and our expectations) into oblivion.

Nobody is going to give us an amazing offer. Draft picks in 2020 and possibly even 2021 due to the broken underage year for those kids will be more hit and miss than ever, an extra first or second rounder will be like carrying in one in 2010-11 when the expansion clubs had already shredded the talent pool.

What I don't need to see is the next Brad McKenzie loping around in our VFL side while our former key forward still yet to turn 30 still with a huge engine and super fit becomes the toast of the town as he spearheads Collingwood's top 2 aspirations.
It’s an interesting one, I can see Collingwood dumping a lot of money in front of him, in a long term deal, having BBB and Mihocek would be a lethal combo up forward. Especially the way they play, BBB would a often left by himself. I can see * doing the same thing especially if they lose Daniher.

I can’t see us dumping him for picks, and at present I have no idea what his value is worth.
Also we have nothing to go on in regards to the way Rawlings would play it.. last administration he would’ve been signed up for another 5 years, even playing like this.

The rumours are (from Robbo) that he wants 3m over 4 years and we baulked at that in the pre season because 4 years was too long (a position I agree with.)

It would be ridiculous to offer him that now - dollars or duration - given his output level. If he still is expecting that length and dollars of contract then we are going to part ways.

One idea that maybe works for both sides is that he extends his current deal by 1 year (with a rise to say 650 for the one year.).

That will set him up for FA next year and then he can test himself on the market based on his form over the next 18 months. We will either get (i) FA comp (ii) resign him, or (iii) a trade will be worked out.

It's up to BBB now - he is uncontracted at year end with probably 3-4 years left as a player at the top level (if he can regain form).

Every player has personal issues and I am sure BBB does as well - but he needs to get his form together and remind the club and the competition of what he can do and why he should get a substantial pay rise.

The rumours are (from Robbo) that he wants 3m over 4 years and we baulked at that in the pre season because 4 years was too long (a position I agree with.)

It would be ridiculous to offer him that now - dollars or duration - given his output level. If he still is expecting that length and dollars of contract then we are going to part ways.

One idea that maybe works for both sides is that he extends his current deal by 1 year (with a rise to say 650 for the one year.).

That will set him up for FA next year and then he can test himself on the market based on his form over the next 18 months. We will either get (i) FA comp (ii) resign him, or (iii) a trade will be worked out.

It's up to BBB now - he is uncontracted at year end with probably 3-4 years left as a player at the top level (if he can regain form).

Every player has personal issues and I am sure BBB does as well - but he needs to get his form together and remind the club and the competition of what he can do and why he should get a substantial pay rise.
Interesting.
A few ways to look at this 3 mil over 4 years isn't really that much considering that player payments are increasing, due to what happened this year with Wuhan virus we might see TPP fall in the coming years.
Also not sure what his current contract is, however at times you need to reward players who over performed on low contracts.
If we expect players to stay with us after we pay them for being injured and not playing then it goes both ways.

if as you say he has 3-4 years left, then maybe we take the long term option because i just don't see us winning a flag in the next few years unless the likes of LDU, Simpkin, Walker, CZ, Larkey, Bmac, Scott and co all become A grade players and we we still have the old firm of Goldy, Tarrant, Higgo and Cunners performing.

750K /year means he's on around 25-32k per game......depending how many we play etc. He's gotta be a far more commanding presence on that sorta coin.
Love the bloke, but there's definitely something not right with him that is not just the delivery he's receiving.

Interesting proposal but I'm still loathe to handicap a contract offer weighting 5 weeks of poor performance in a completely broken team more than sustained performance over 3+ consecutive years.

The bloke who looks all at sea at the moment is the same one who kicked 10 goals about 10 games ago.

Personally I wouldn't drop him just yet, I'd move him up the ground more so he an get involved in the game.
I worry dropping him would make his confidence completely shattered and a bit of a scapegoat for the whole team.
If you are to drop Brown you would have to drop some biggish names with him like say one of Polec, Dumont or Hall.
He looked pretty shattered after his convo with Rawlings, whether or not some hard truths were said or a heart to heart chat was had.
We can't underestimate the mental side of covid, anyone know if his wife and kid are up there with him?

Personally I wouldn't drop him just yet, I'd move him up the ground more so he an get involved in the game.
I worry dropping him would make his confidence completely shattered and a bit of a scapegoat for the whole team.
If you are to drop Brown you would have to drop some biggish names with him like say one of Polec, Dumont or Hall.
He looked pretty shattered after his convo with Rawlings, whether or not some hard truths were said or a heart to heart chat was had.
We can't underestimate the mental side of covid, anyone know if his wife and kid are up there with him?
Where was the convo with Rawlings chubbspeterson ? Which Rawlings? Jade or Brady?

Where was the convo with Rawlings chubbspeterson ? Which Rawlings? Jade or Brady?
They just showed footage of him talking one on one with Jade Rawlings in the rooms on channel 7 post game.
I wasn't paying super close attention to it cause I usually trail off when Darcy and Richo do their post game padding crap while you wait for the presser.
Would love to see it again but looked like Browny looked a bit despondent sucking in a deep breath afterwards and Jade was just as emotional.
Again it might've been some home truths or perhaps it was an emotional heart to heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting proposal but I'm still loathe to handicap a contract offer weighting 5 weeks of poor performance in a completely broken team more than sustained performance over 3+ consecutive years.

The bloke who looks all at sea at the moment is the same one who kicked 10 goals about 10 games ago.

There's not much difference between 10 games ago and 11 months ago realistically though.

If Brown is open to the idea and we can part ways in a mutually beneficial way then I think we need to look at it. We won't be challenging for a flag for another 4-5 years at least and by that stage he won't be any good to us. See if we can get some decent value for him and take it to the draft.

If Brown is open to the idea and we can part ways in a mutually beneficial way then I think we need to look at it. We won't be challenging for a flag for another 4-5 years at least and by that stage he won't be any good to us. See if we can get some decent value for him and take it to the draft.

Two top ten picks to get a deal done.

Sure, let’s just get rid of the best key forward in the comp for the last 4 years just because he’s been down on form for a few games, in what has been the most unusual season for a very, very long time. And also I’ll add, I don’t think there’s a key forward that could do a lot more than him in the forward line with the way we are kicking inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back