Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure can
Brown lacks goal assists and now isn’t even kicking goals

Hopefully one day when you grow a little older, you might actually learn a little bit about the football caper.

In form, BennyB sits alongside Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kennedy and Tom Hawkins as the best 4 spearheads in the game. Right now he is suffering through a combination of factors, including poor delivery, a shocking injury list at the top of which sits our reigning B & F, the absence of Nick Larkey as an alternative target and in a year like no other we have ever seen.

He will find form and when it comes, alongside some diminution of all of those other factors, he will return to kicking goals, just like he has in the past.

If every club decided to trade their best players, whenever they hit a form slump, then the game would cease to exist. You need to get over your infantile obsession with, week in week out, in your suggested changes, out "MacMillan,...". Please don't start including Benny in those weekly outs.

Horace ^im happy to go down a Ben brown back and forth but I think I’ve made the points for trading him clear already so if you can’t understand a viewpoint differing to yourself then it’s you that needs to grow up

At my age, it would actually be really nice to "grow up". Thank goodness that most viewing at AFL grounds nowadays, is seated. But being a little "height challenged", in the days of mainly standing room, watching some parts of the game was a "challenge".

I forgot to mention earlier that one of the problems that Benny is experiencing at present; and this is a common feature of many players when they are out of form, being one of their strengths temporarily deserts them; and that is when he is kicking for goal, the ball drop is being adversely affected because the ball is wobbling around in his hands as he runs in to kick. As a consequence he is more often than not miss-kicking the ball. Someone needs to help him with this.

Fair call. Hall could be in the same boat. Possibly Pittard.
Pittard was voted into the leadership team.
Can you imagine they axed him and Jamie.
I personally don’t rate him but who knows if he returns.
Hall is contracted for one more year but if we had to pay him out I would. One of the worst kicks in the team.

Pittard was voted into the leadership team.
Can you imagine they axed him and Jamie.
I personally don’t rate him but who knows if he returns.
Hall is contracted for one more year but if we had to pay him out I would. One of the worst kicks in the team.

If both Jmac and pittard are at the club next season - nothing would of changed

Marley, Garner, Ahern

Marley was the only one of those that got consistent game time.

Garner is cooked and has been for some time. Can play can't get on the park. That's just not changing.

The original Ahern disappeared into the VFL to work on deficiencies and the Ahern that returned is a confused fraud.

Marley I'll give you.

It was Ahern and Garner's last year this year regardless of our form.

You put any other gun forward of the comp in our team at the moment, and they would struggle as much, if not more than Brown is at the moment.

You put any other gun forward of the comp in our team at the moment, and they would struggle as much, if not more than Brown is at the moment.
Except that we put Walker inside 50 last week and he played well - took marks, competed hard, won his own ball - and I dont think anyone thinks of him as a gun forward.

Are we supposed to believe that key forwards never play well in bad sides? I remember Brown kicking 60 goals is a six win team a few years back. I also thought Josh Walker looked pretty good up forward for a man with his limitations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simply he needs a respected target alongside him (Larkey, Waite, Petrie etc) and he need the ball coming in in a manner that allows him to play to his strengths. If he gets that he'll kick you a s**t load of goals. He's close to unstoppable.

On the flipside, if he doesn't get that, he's pretty much non competitive. This is nothing new. It's been the case since day 1.

Last edited:
Except that we put Walker inside 50 last week and he played well - took marks, competed hard, won his own ball - and I dont think anyone thinks of him as a gun forward.

As a second tall.

Larkey in and keep walker forward will do a fair bit to free up Brown.

One word: Fevola.

Is the game structure the same as it was in the 2000s?

Given that we now have players winning Coleman's with just over 60 goals. I mean in the past 8 season there have been only 2 years where the winner know coed over 70 goals.

Fevs last Coleman came in 09, the most recent winner with a goals tally in the 60s was in 1964.

Marley was the only one of those that got consistent game time.

Garner is cooked and has been for some time. Can play can't get on the park. That's just not changing.

The original Ahern disappeared into the VFL to work on deficiencies and the Ahern that returned is a confused fraud.

Marley I'll give you.

It was Ahern and Garner's last year this year regardless of our form.
Aherns fall from grace no one saw coming. Yes he has always been a liability on the spread but to go from promising to delisting has been a massive disappointment.

The Luke McDonald kick on the weekend is a beautiful example of some of the issue here.

Brown leads at the ball drags two defenders away from the corridor

He can't make Luke make better decisions. Brown has done his job,we just were not smart enough or drilled enough to take advantage of it.

Aherns fall from grace no one saw coming. Yes he has always been a liability on the spread but to go from promising to delisting has been a massive disappointment.

Agree entirely.

But it hasn't just happened in the last 5 weeks.

The Luke McDonald kick on the weekend is a beautiful example of some of the issue here.

Brown leads at the ball drags two defenders away from the corridor

He can't make Luke make better decisions. Brown has done his job,we just were not smart enough or drilled enough to take advantage of it.

Jy burnt him on one occasion too that was pointed out. Brown leads to space and Jy goes to Zurhaar in a 2 on 1.

Yep brown is weak in the contest - just bring the ball to ground at the very least.
You’re a 200cm/100kg plus Man and you got the strength of a 14yr old.

This isn’t just a form thing
Even if he was playing well there would still be logic to trading him to rejuvenate the list and add to the group coming through together
And to add to this, it’s a where we are as a club thing

We are not challenging and to speed up the tilt to a flag you need to make ruthless decisions

anyone over 27 should be tradeable, you’d only trade out one that’s going to get you a first rounder though like Brown. As many mentioned you can’t go full Melbourne but getting rid of 1 isn’t an issue. There’s an argument for Cunners also as he might be a risk from a longevity standpoint with his back but yet still has value.

The thread which came up a few weeks ago focusing on these 2 as potential trades made sense.
And reiterated that it isn’t a form thing

The only form related talking point here is brown playing poorly which will affect the dollars of his next contract but isn’t related to trading him and him copping criticism but make no mistake trading him is seperate to this so justifying his form is pointless

This isn’t just a form thing
Even if he was playing well there would still be logic to trading him to rejuvenate the list and add to the group coming through together

So next year we can watch as Larkey gets flamed for not being it all with immature support around him?

That'll be fun.

So next year we can watch as Larkey gets flamed for not being it all with immature support around him?

That'll be fun.
There’s no expectation on a 22 year old to dominate

No criticism on him would be taken seriously.

And you never know he might even thrive and do better immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back