News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

So Qld has 3 or 4 grounds capable of holding AFL footy and WA has.... 1. Good effort WA. Jeez we suck at times. WACA management is inept too.

So Qld has 3 or 4 grounds capable of holding AFL footy and WA has.... 1. Good effort WA. Jeez we suck at times. WACA management is inept too.
I think we have at least four grounds that can and do host AFL/AFLW.

Optus, Joondalup, Mandurah, Fremantle Oval - all have broadcast AFL/AFLW games.

Ok. Only 1 ground where AFL games can been played for premiership points. FWIW I see no reason we couldn’t play games at Freo, Leederville, Joondie, even Basendean during COVID. But that’s not even on the agenda.

Ok. Only 1 ground where AFL games can been played for premiership points. FWIW I see no reason we couldn’t play games at Freo, Leederville, Joondie, even Basendean during COVID. But that’s not even on the agenda.
They would need to have the teams cycle through progressively because they couldn't maintain their covid restriction measures and avoid interaction with the public at all of Joondalup, Mandurah, Freo Oval etc as easily as at Optus where ground security is more structural. There would need to be fences and security up around Joondalup certainly.

But once those sides have done their 14 days quarantine then the community risk is no longer an issue, perhaps crowds being able to touch players when they are by the boundary is a problem for them?

I guess I’m just frustrated that a non-capital city such as GC can host a Commonwealth games and Perth isn’t even close.

Overall the infrastructure here is pretty ordinary. The WACA is a hole. We failed in our attempts to upgrade Freo Oval. Perth Oval (is it HBF stadium these days?) still has that shitty 1950s grandstand. Even Tasmania has 2 grounds capable of hosting AFL games.

/rant. I’m getting off topic.

We need closed, gated stadiums for AFL all the way around. Leederville only has onE stand where it’s gated. The rest is merely fenced and very easy to jump over the fence and watch games.
Mandurah is worse, hardly inaccessible. Joondalup is on par too.
WA has always been behind the times. Now it’s caught up with them. Embarrassing really

You could pick one of those grounds as a secondary venue in a COVID hub, although obviously the crowds would be less than at a proper stadium and, I'm guessing, the broadcast costs would be higher or of a lesser quality since the ground isn't properly set up for all the cameras etc of an AFL broadcast.

But you couldn't play us, or the eagles (or the big drawing clubs like Carlton) there as none of those grounds have the capacity.

Probably the bigger issues for a QLD style hub are the initial quarantine requirements and the hotel availability. The AFL have basically booked out at least 4 big resorts. I don't think they could do the same here.

I guess I’m just frustrated that a non-capital city such as GC can host a Commonwealth games and Perth isn’t even close.

Overall the infrastructure here is pretty ordinary. The WACA is a hole. We failed in our attempts to upgrade Freo Oval. Perth Oval (is it HBF stadium these days?) still has that shitty 1950s grandstand. Even Tasmania has 2 grounds capable of hosting AFL games.

/rant. I’m getting off topic.
It's a big problem. Subi was very run down, the WACA is/was the same, Perth Stadium is only half-finished as a rectangular stadium.

It's taken the WACA forever to get its re-development in place and all that they will be able to have is a small 15k venue.

Even new facilities like the State Athletics stadium bursts at the seems when a modest event like the Little Athlethics State Championships is held.

We refuse to spend money on sporting infrastructure.

You could pick one of those grounds as a secondary venue in a COVID hub, although obviously the crowds would be less than at a proper stadium and, I'm guessing, the broadcast costs would be higher or of a lesser quality since the ground isn't properly set up for all the cameras etc of an AFL broadcast.

But you couldn't play us, or the eagles (or the big drawing clubs like Carlton) there as none of those grounds have the capacity.

Probably the bigger issues for a QLD style hub are the initial quarantine requirements and the hotel availability. The AFL have basically booked out at least 4 big resorts. I don't think they could do the same here.
Fox Footy broadcast preseason from Joondalup and others and wouldn't take much more to improve.

I think we have plenty of empty resorts as well especially in Mandurah that could be taken over, however the Queensland Govt and CG Council shared costs of the GC Hub so AFL didn't pay for that and I think getting WA to cough up and help with accommodation may have been a factor.

One big advantage that I don't think been mentioned is that the grass in all of our Ovals is excellent. Optus could easily handle three games a week as well as other venues. Metricon grass in particular was looking in poor condition in the last few games.

Yep this is kind of my point. I'm not sure we even have this much infrastructure in Perth. NIMBYs and BANANAs everywhere.

URGENT DERBY/COVID QUERY - I have Derby ticket and just hanging out to see the boys again. But am I being irresponsible in going???

WA's chief Medical Officer has ripped into the whole event and got me questioning my choice.

I mix with older West Aussies, many with compromised health, and I don't know what protocols Out-Of-State attendees had to go through, if any. Can anyone give me info on this urgently please? (I'll ask on other threads also.)

URGENT DERBY/COVID QUERY - I have Derby ticket and just hanging out to see the boys again. But am I being irresponsible in going???

WA's chief Medical Officer has ripped into the whole event and got me questioning my choice.

I mix with older West Aussies, many with compromised health, and I don't know what protocols Out-Of-State attendees had to go through, if any. Can anyone give me info on this urgently please? (I'll ask on other threads also.)
Do you believe WA has 0 community transmission and has done so for 3 months? Do you think our quarantine procedures are adequate to hold returned travellers? Do you take personal care when in public (wash hands, social distance)? Do you trust people to not attend if they feel sick (my greatest concern)? Will you wear a mask?

Ultimately, you need to do your own risk assessment (as we all should in every interaction) and determine whether it meets your criteria of "safe". With appropriate steps the event should be safe but it needs to meet your hurdle, nobody elses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get put in the Hobart hub I will be so ******* angry. Just what we'll ******* need right now with everything else going on.
Was always the most likely scenario

It is a pandemic. As soon as the Vics were going to play out the season in a hub, any talk of extended runs of games at Optus was always a bit too optimistic. I think I'd rather go to the NT than Tassie, but if Tassie was the requirement it could also be a good chance to feel a bit more at home there for the future.

If there is no more footy in WA after Hawthorn and Carlton it will be because of the stricter rules here than elsewhere. Other states are showing a willingness to accomodate pro sports in a way our State Government seemingly won't do.

Perhaps our Govt is right. Perhaps not. But it is on us as a community, not the pro leagues.

Boy they are really trying to get this season done and dusted before the whole country is in lockdown again. Good luck to them.................and to the players.

Queensland are grasping all opportunities with both hands. They'll almost certainly host the Grand Final now as a reward for granting the AFL these concessions. McGowan is letting a once in a lifetime spectacle slip.

Queensland are grasping all opportunities with both hands. They'll almost certainly host the Grand Final now as a reward for granting the AFL these concessions. McGowan is letting a once in a lifetime spectacle slip.

This part is bullshit. Mcgowan is doing the right thing for WA. Just look at what's happening in Victoria right now.

This part is bullshit. Mcgowan is doing the right thing for WA. Just look at what's happening in Victoria right now.
Where's our spike from having 4 teams come to Perth? Where's Queensland's? The risks from hosting AFL are now lower than what they were weeks ago when we had Collingwood and Geelong travel directly from Victoria. All teams have now spent a number of weeks out of Victoria. If any of them were infected from Victoria's second wave it would have been detected by now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back