News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

one example.

wanna look at Newcastle United, Arsenal, Leeds United 15 years ago? Bolton Wanderers, Charlton... Malaga!
Sure, but then there are thousands(?) of privately owned professional clubs around the world. Some of them will have god-awful owners, some will have excellent owners. Most will, of course, be middling. Just like we currently haver with the private ownership of the FFC by the WAFC.

Likewise, a community owned pro sports club can have a really bloody good administration over the long-term like, say, Collingwood. Or it can have a perpetually struggling administration like, say, Fitzroy. Perhaps an independent Incorporated body would be a better model for Freo than private ownership by the WAFC?

Or perhaps the best model will be a non-profit like the Green Bay Packers.

In short, I don't have a lot of faith that the current owners of the club -- the WAFC -- are the best long term stewards of the club. FFC runs the risk of doing worse, but it could definitely do better.

one example.

wanna look at Newcastle United, Arsenal, Leeds United 15 years ago? Bolton Wanderers, Charlton... Malaga!
Hey! Radrizzani has us back baby! And it was 16 years.

Pretty sure it is like everything. A good private owner is fine and a bad one is not. Just like a good public owner is fine etc.

Leeds had like 4 terrible ones and now we have a good one. Bam! Back in the PL in 3 years.

Hey! Radrizzani has us back baby! And it was 16 years.

Pretty sure it is like everything. A good private owner is fine and a bad one is not. Just like a good public owner is fine etc.

Leeds had like 4 terrible ones and now we have a good one. Bam! Back in the PL in 3 years.
four terrible ones and one good one...

what does that say?

you really want to roll the dice? look at who owns clubs in Australia... Clive Palmer, Nathan Tinkler... Tony Sage is a s**t bloke too.

honestly Fremantle is doing pretty well atm, Garlick is an astute guy with a good track record who clearly wants to change things and has a good plan. Peter Bell doesn't take s**t and cares a lot about the club. in terms of administration, things are actually going alright – I'm happy with how everything is tracking, haven't felt this way since about 2013.

four terrible ones and one good one...

what does that say?

you really want to roll the dice? look at who owns clubs in Australia... Clive Palmer, Nathan Tinkler... Tony Sage is a sh*t bloke too.

honestly Fremantle is doing pretty well atm, Garlick is an astute guy with a good track record who clearly wants to change things and has a good plan. Peter Bell doesn't take sh*t and cares a lot about the club. in terms of administration, things are actually going alright – I'm happy with how everything is tracking, haven't felt this way since about 2013.
What I think it says is that it is almost complete luck. Whether private or not, the odds that your owner is good is pretty low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back