News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's our spike from having 4 teams come to Perth? Where's Queensland's? The risks from hosting AFL are now lower than what they were weeks ago when we had Collingwood and Geelong travel directly from Victoria. All teams have now spent a number of weeks out of Victoria. If any of them were infected from Victoria's second wave it would have been detected by now.
All it takes is 1 person not doing the right thing for the state to succumb to the virus again. It's not a "missed opportunity" if Queensland get the GF this year. There are far more important things to worry about. I'm Not even a Western Australian and I still think Mcgowan is doing a great job.

Queensland are grasping all opportunities with both hands. They'll almost certainly host the Grand Final now as a reward for granting the AFL these concessions. McGowan is letting a once in a lifetime spectacle slip.

This is the viewpoint and attitude that has directly resulted in covid exploding here in the U.S.. Don’t buy into it for a second. WA is playing it safe which is the right call. Don’t trade peoples lives and wellbeing for economic gain.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is the viewpoint and attitude that has directly resulted in covid exploding here in the U.S.. Don’t buy into it for a second. WA is playing it safe which is the right call. Don’t trade peoples lives and wellbeing for economic gain.

Some would argue having a crowd of 30k is putting economic gain ahead of well-being. If the players are a genuine virus risk then they shouldn’t be in the state at all. If they are viewed a risk but not high they shouldn’t be surrounded by thousands of members of the public. If they are no risk then what’s the issue?

We're not going to get a second wave from hosting a few extra AFL games.

All it takes is 1 person not doing the right thing for the state to succumb to the virus again. It's not a "missed opportunity" if Queensland get the GF this year. There are far more important things to worry about. I'm Not even a Western Australian and I still think Mcgowan is doing a great job.

succumb to the virus again? aside from economically we have been barely affected by the virus. We didn’t succumb a first time to be able to succumb again. Let’s not rewrite history to make a point now.

If the point is - the risk is too great we don’t want to risk it after doing so well... that’s an interesting opinion. But to pretend we succumbed to the virus the first time and we risk it happening again...

succumb to the virus again? aside from economically we have been barely affected by the virus. We didn’t succumb a first time to be able to succumb again. Let’s not rewrite history to make a point now.

If the point is - the risk is too great we don’t want to risk it after doing so well... that’s an interesting opinion. But to pretend we succumbed to the virus the first time and we risk it happening again...
I should have worded that better but my point is Coronavirus has had a massive impact on our economy. Clearly we haven't been hit as hard as the USA, Brazil etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have that that our hard border closure & the vast distance and isolation from the Eastern States means our population is in a bit of a bubble.
Qld & nsw have 100's of thousands of people living close to a border, business & family cross border ties & many roads in & out.
That & qld are enticing nsw to come up for a bit of a holiday as their tourism industry bleeding a slow death.

We're not going to get a second wave from hosting a few extra AFL games.

That's the same thing the governor's from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, California, and many other states said about opening up. Now look at them. Trust me, you don't want to be like us. Yesterday, someone died from covid every 8 minutes in Florida.

Your post said that McGowan is missing a once in a lifetime opportunity. To me (and others) sounds like you're accusing him of being too cautious and safe, which will result in Queensland getting the GF. Maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying. My point is many states, businesses, municipalities are going to lose out economically to best protect their citizens/workers. It is irresponsible to whine about these missed opportunities when the policies put in place have made WA the safest place to live in AUS. Sh** sucks here. So WA doesn't host the GF, big deal. You can go and complain to your elderly grandparents who are still alive because the right call was made.

Where the GF is held this year is irrelevant in the long run. The contract for the MCG runs for another 5 decades. AFL isn't going to rip that deal up.

That's the same thing the governor's from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, California, and many other states said about opening up. Now look at them. Trust me, you don't want to be like us. Yesterday, someone died from covid every 8 minutes in Florida.

Your post said that McGowan is missing a once in a lifetime opportunity. To me (and others) sounds like you're accusing him of being too cautious and safe, which will result in Queensland getting the GF. Maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying. My point is many states, businesses, municipalities are going to lose out economically to best protect their citizens/workers. It is irresponsible to whine about these missed opportunities when the policies put in place have made WA the safest place to live in AUS. Sh** sucks here. So WA doesn't host the GF, big deal. You can go and complain to your elderly grandparents who are still alive because the right call was made.

Where the GF is held this year is irrelevant in the long run. The contract for the MCG runs for another 5 decades. AFL isn't going to rip that deal up.
Would be nice to see the GF in Perth. But if there’s even a chance the eagles will be in if, then im happy if it should be played in Brisbane or wherever.
Gosh imagine wet toast playing in a GF in Perth while we were stuck in obscurity at the bottom of the ladder. Uurggh.

How do you feel about crowds of 30k then?

The crowds of 30000 are mostly (if not all?) locals. Host the GF and who knows how many people from all over the country converge here.

We're not other states. We haven't f’ed ourselves like Victoria. We were going to have 60,000 only five days ago.
Exactly we haven't f'ed ourselves because our Premier and his team have done a very good job. So many morons have been caught out criticising their actions and then later have had to flip flop - not just the State Libs but their cheerleaders also.

They are weighing up risks and acting accordingly - and not being swayed by emotional members of the public with biased interests. Despite also being an avid footy fan I'm not niave enough to think that footy is at all important in the context of a pandemic. The risk isn't about the players, it is about cramming people into a stadium versus half full where the risk is considerably lower. There were so many West Coast fans there last weekend it's probably lucky it was half capacity to avoid a (Trump-esk) embarrassment.

Isn't this more to do with QLD having large population centres away from their capital city that allows them to have multiple functional grounds that have hosted AFL games before?

I think WA could only host games Optus stadium.

After all, it is just a game. We are passionate about it, no doubt, but many aren’t & any decisions made by state government is for the entire communities safety.
This season is only going ahead to keep some clubs afloat & probably the AFL, because without the tv rights money, they’d all be stuffed.
This season is just one huge * & if Qld starts to succumb to the virus, there’s going to be some huge concerns for the AFL & the season may not even be completed.
It may well inject millions of $’s into their economy, but because of our state governments decisions so far, we are already back at some normality, with most businesses saved & able to function.

Isn't this more to do with QLD having large population centres away from their capital city that allows them to have multiple functional grounds that have hosted AFL games before?

I think WA could only host games Optus stadium.
The government is also paying part of the cost, WA suggested that if the AFL was going to make $50m a week then they could pay for their own accommodation

Exactly we haven't f'ed ourselves because our Premier and his team have done a very good job. So many morons have been caught out criticising their actions and then later have had to flip flop - not just the State Libs but their cheerleaders also.

They are weighing up risks and acting accordingly - and not being swayed by emotional members of the public with biased interests. Despite also being an avid footy fan I'm not niave enough to think that footy is at all important in the context of a pandemic. The risk isn't about the players, it is about cramming people into a stadium versus half full where the risk is considerably lower. There were so many West Coast fans there last weekend it's probably lucky it was half capacity to avoid a (Trump-esk) embarrassment.

I don't consider myself a moron, many others might, but I think the response has been a ridiculous over the top panic to a relatively small threat. I have said it from the start and will continue to say it. I am confident history will show it the greatest mis-spend on health by many orders of magnitude. If that makes me a moron, so be it.

I don't consider myself a moron, many others might, but I think the response has been a ridiculous over the top panic to a relatively small threat. I have said it from the start and will continue to say it. I am confident history will show it the greatest mis-spend on health by many orders of magnitude. If that makes me a moron, so be it.
Sorry mate but I will just be the one to say it, you are a moron. Have a quick look at the USA, then get back to me on the small threat. That sort of thinking is why Victoria is still shutdown. I do apologise, i'm not trying to call names but it just has to be called out, you basically asked for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back