News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't consider myself a moron, many others might, but I think the response has been a ridiculous over the top panic to a relatively small threat. I have said it from the start and will continue to say it. I am confident history will show it the greatest mis-spend on health by many orders of magnitude. If that makes me a moron, so be it.
Completely agree that history will show. Unfortunately our media have painted a picture of economics vs pandemic response which has so far proven the exact opposite of reality. Countries that have got it under control are already well outperforming (economically) those countries that either didn't or did it half arsed. Doesn't take an economics PhD to predict that gap is only going to widen.

If our economic indicators comparatively (globally) were showing us doing poorly then I would agree with your analysis but that isn't what we are seeing. People also seem to think we've blocked all international business which is miles off reality. Yes some industries can't operate across borders when people movement is complicated but plenty can still. I've had conversations where people say "WA is propping up the country with mining" and then the next sentence "having no international trade is killing us". Um.....?

That's the same thing the governor's from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, California, and many other states said about opening up. Now look at them. Trust me, you don't want to be like us. Yesterday, someone died from covid every 8 minutes in Florida.

Your post said that McGowan is missing a once in a lifetime opportunity. To me (and others) sounds like you're accusing him of being too cautious and safe, which will result in Queensland getting the GF. Maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying. My point is many states, businesses, municipalities are going to lose out economically to best protect their citizens/workers. It is irresponsible to whine about these missed opportunities when the policies put in place have made WA the safest place to live in AUS. Sh** sucks here. So WA doesn't host the GF, big deal. You can go and complain to your elderly grandparents who are still alive because the right call was made.

Where the GF is held this year is irrelevant in the long run. The contract for the MCG runs for another 5 decades. AFL isn't going to rip that deal up.

That's rubbish fearmongering comparing us to those lunatic states in the US. WA has been very risk adverse to date. We do not have any community transmission here. Our hotel quarantine system is holding up, catching those who are infected and our guards aren't ******* the guests. AFL sides who do come here are forced to undergo quarantine. It's not like we're waiving that requirement. The opportunity to accommodate more AFL, host an AFL Grand Final and inject thousands into our economy without jeopardising our Covid-free status is clearly there for the taking.

That's rubbish fearmongering comparing us to those lunatic states in the US. WA has been very risk adverse to date. We do not have any community transmission here. Our hotel quarantine system is holding up, catching those who are infected and our guards aren't ******* the guests. AFL sides who do come here are forced to undergo quarantine. It's not like we're waiving that requirement. The opportunity to accommodate more AFL, host an AFL Grand Final and inject thousands into our economy without jeopardising our Covid-free status is clearly there for the taking.

How do you inject big doliars into the economy when borders are closed and if you do visit you quarantine for 14 days.
Perhaps the reason we are community transmission free is because the borders are closed.
l

There won't be a WA GF, coz the vics won't want the Toast to win another, and Qld have done too much to not get it.
Brizzy for the flag I reckon
It’s common knowledge WA is 20-30 years behind the east coast states from an infrastructure point of view, but the driver for this is the small population covering the largest land mass of all states in Aus. WA will not get the infrastructure funding allocation it’s needs from the Feds.

WA won’t get the GF as they have a state Liberal Govt. The state govt in VIC will have to approve the moving of the GF due to the significant monies they have put towards the current GF deal. Labour Govt in VIC will support the Labour Party in QLD. That’s the brass tax.

It’s common knowledge WA is 20-30 years behind the east coast states from an infrastructure point of view, but the driver for this is the small population covering the largest land mass of all states in Aus. WA will not get the infrastructure funding allocation it’s needs from the Feds.

WA won’t get the GF as they have a state Liberal Govt. The state govt in VIC will have to approve the moving of the GF due to the significant monies they have put towards the current GF deal. Labour Govt in VIC will support the Labour Party in QLD. That’s the brass tax.

JFC

I don’t live in WA, but isn’t mark McGowan a Labour Party premier too?!?!

There won't be finals in WA (let alone the GF) _if_ there is still a 14 day quarantine for interstate teams entering WA and there is no equivalent quarantine requirement in Qld and the majority of clubs are still based in Qld.

No need for conspiracy theories, no league will force a quarantine for finals when they don't need to.

Tough to lock down QLD borders.
Highly likely for a breakout.
WA looming as the favourite to hold the GF.
Shoot me down in flames but I would rather WC than Brisbane winning it.
If Brisbane not in it then anyone except WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New community cases in QLD.
Season must be in jeapody.
Could there be hubs in NT and more in WA.
GF looks a long way off being held in QLD.
How stupid is Morrison backing that idiots court case to open our borders.
They pushed QLD into it and look at the outcome.

New community cases in QLD.
Season must be in jeapody.
Could there be hubs in NT and more in WA.
GF looks a long way off being held in QLD.
How stupid is Morrison backing that idiots court case to open our borders.
They pushed QLD into it and look at the outcome.
Afl want to start spreading that risk. Having 90% if teams camped in qld is dangerous

Now West Coast are starting to hit form the last thing I want is an Optus GF
Another Eagles flag with an asterisk against it would be unbearable
Granny in Alice Springs is my preference

If the highest ranked team in the grand final gets to host it then it will be good for the game, regardless of whether it's the eagles or not in terms of competition integrity in practice.

If the highest ranked team in the grand final doesn't get to host it but it's played at their oppositions home ground, then it will be good for discussion in the game unless the higher ranked team wins the flag - then the advantage will be dismissed as having no impact - even though the higher ranked team won, because to continue that discussion would bring up how the grand final at the MCG is an advantage.

So if West Coast could finish 1st and Brisbane 8th, then the grand final is at the Gabba and Brisbane win the flag after getting there the long way, that would be great.

I can't see the AFL staying in QLD for too long since those couple of shiela's told fibs at the border and walked around in the community for 8 days... Only a matter of time there before things head south in the sunshine state I'd say... NT/SA/WA looking more and more likely to be the AFL's only options soon.

Apparently a quarter of all infected people in Vic haven't been self-isolating. What's the opposite of secession and can we apply it to Victoria? I understand Dan Andrews is copping a lot of hate and his handling of the situation has been less than ideal, but there isn't really much he can do when a significant portion of the population simply refuse to do the right thing and put everyone else at risk. Do we have to go full authoritarian CCP-style and start welding people inside their homes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back