Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah fair enough. No doubt its media driven.

Of course.

Ben's getting a shitfull time because:

a) He's getting slaughtered by the umpires and the meek suckhole administration of this club who NEVER defend him.

b) Clubs have been able to place heavy focus on him in Larkey's absence.

c) Ben himself is down on confidence and needs to work on fundamentals (ball wobble running in to shoot on goals, etc.) He also needs to play with more physical intent, rather than settling for being the victim.

Of course.

Ben's getting a shitfull time because:

a) He's getting slaughtered by the umpires and the meek suckhole administration of this club who NEVER defend him.

b) Clubs have been able to place heavy focus on him in Larkey's absence.

c) Ben himself is down on confidence and needs to work on fundamentals (ball wobble running in to shoot on goals, etc.) He also needs to play with more physical intent, rather than settling for being the victim.
2nd part of c is the problem. BB needs to murder someone who steps into the hole, just once will make a difference. Can’t se it happening.
He corrects that and part a will sort itself out too.

2nd part of c is the problem. BB needs to murder someone who steps into the hole, just once will make a difference. Can’t se it happening.
He corrects that and part a will sort itself out too.

He doesn't have the body morphology to influence a lot in the contest once he goes in to the air. There's not much he can do about some aspects.

He doesn't have the body morphology to influence a lot in the contest once he goes in to the air. There's not much he can do about some aspects.
To me he looks smaller across the shoulders than years gone by. Looked to me like he was developing serious guns And particularly delts in years prior. Wider shoulders makes you harder to get around without infringing/holding.
yeah he doesn’t do himself any favours and we don’t help him with delivery, but he’s lost his “presence”. Looks shot. Frustrated.

Watched him behind the play a lot. Weitering belted into him at every opportunity. Repeated punches to ribs and stomach, at times waiting for nearby umpire to turn his back for extra attention. Brown was driven crazy by it at times. Combined with body work at the marking contest, teams seem to have worked him out. To be honest he just looked bullied out there today.

Have to disagree with some of the above posts. Went harder at the player in front today than he has all year.
Weitering ain’t a bad defender. Sure, I’d luv him to be more physical, but today was a step in the right direction.
He could prob do with a boxing coach or self defence coach to help him deliver those subtle blows back.

Plays too far up the ground. No point of offering a target when he gets pushed around like a weak rag doll and the ball comes straight back into the opposition 50

He needs a spell. But we got no one to replace him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crashed a pack in the first qtr and i was like thats what we want more off, compete. use your size, next minute unsighted rest of the game. Either harden up or go away browny seriously.

I like the description of BBB as a tall half forward flanker - being positive maybe in the Jack Gunston mould - and that's the way we should think of him and play him.

The big defenders have all got the play book now in how to beat him - he will cop this treatment for the remainder of his career - there is no turning back now.

Many times Weitering just nudged him under the ball and beat him one on one - it was like BBB had the equivalent strength as say Curtis Taylor.

No key forward would accept those one on one losses because it is in reality embarrassing. And it's been that way for so long for BBB that he isn't going to be able to change his dna and turn himself into a power forward.

I would move Walker forward (and we can do that now that BMac is progressing down back) and Walker, Larkey and CZ are the marking targets. If Daw comes on then he can be a swing man up there as well.

What do we do with BBB then - can he play the forward flank/Jack Gunston type of role? I would make that his goal over the coming weeks. He can start with a soft game against the Crows.

brown was most effective in 2018 and 19 as this running big man, he covered the most distance at north so let him run and leap.

If he is stationary, he is useless as a medium sized player could out muscle him.

Fox Footy just said he's worth a late second rounder / third rounder.
Def not a first round pick.

Jesus. If that's his market value he's really fallen off the perch. Only bloke to kick 60+ goals for the last 3 years.

In which case we'd be ******* stupid to trade him.

Three times today I saw the defender on Brown read the entry better than him, leave brown alone, and go mark it uncontested without him.

Trust me it’s not just the entry, he’s horribly out of form and has been since teams worked him out last year.

Short quarters probably haven't helped this bloke. Used to rely on running defenders ragged with phenomenal work rate. He's also horribly out of form. Over the next few weeks with Larkey in the side, we will get a good look at how he might turn this slump around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back