Autopsy Rd 9 - If only games went for 1 quarter aka Still the Hawks bunnies

Remove this Banner Ad

Second quarter Hawks pressed up very high. Aggressively to get back in the game. Cost them once because Levi was alone. But it was a gamble that really paid off and we did nothing about it. We kicked to outnumbered contests time and again.

Only way to combat is possession football .... didn’t see it ....

Probably hard to tell live but Kennedy’s transition defence running is appalling. Cost us the first goal Hawks got in the second quarter. Just let Shiel jog forward fo the wing and kick to Burgoyne....Shiel then jogged forward and marked unattended and goaled.

Can someone please explain this (I am watching game for the third time):

Hawks put a spare back after we got well on top. And we didn’t recognise it. What we did was blaze away to it. They Intercepted and exploded. Why didn’t we slow the game down like we should? It’s not hard. Any forward could have called it out.

Bewildering really.
We thought we’d solve it by going quicker and kicking around corners

Pretty deplorable quarter by Kennedy really. Blazing away under pressure into forward line. Fumbled critical moment from Cripps handball. Poor transition running. Oh well. I think his transition running and blazing are related. His pace remains his issue.

Probably hard to tell live but Kennedy’s transition defence running is appalling. Cost us the first goal Hawks got in the second quarter. Just let Shiel jog forward fo the wing and kick to Burgoyne....Shiel then jogged forward and marked unattended and goaled.

Called for “horses for courses” at selection during the week.
Kennedy is for the heavy slippery going, not the fast track in Perth.

Windows go back to the centre bounce setup (not players), in the first qtr, then the change that was implemented in the 2nd

No need to change the positioning, when we were all over them

Was baffling

Amazed how quickly I could move on from this. Just wish we could have pummelled that mob.
I couldn't watch from half way through the 2nd.
My new goal is for us to at least finish above them on the ladder. I know in my bones that was the last time for years to come, that they will beat us.
Week at a time everyone.
We can't afford to get too down in this climate. We are only a couple of top shelf midfielders short now.

Nice post I truly hope this is the last time they beat us for many years and would love to finish above them at least!

Fundamentally we were either out coached or panicked. “Quick ball movement” should not happen when the opposition play a loose immediately. That’s just simple logic. If the oppo plays a loose you slow down and chip it forward. Be methodical. Set up behind the ball. You do NOT okay kamikaze football. Just crazy bleeding obvious stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching games every week and reading on here the biggest issue I see is the false notion that the present and the future owes a debt to the past - Murphy isn't Burgoyne. I really don't get the worship - never have.

Keep backing him and basking in the reflected glory of something that is not there.

Watching games every week and reading on here the biggest issue I see is the false notion that the present and the future owes a debt to the past - Murphy isn't Burgoyne. I really don't get the worship - never have.

Keep backing him and basking in the reflected glory of something that is not there.

This will eventually sink in to the unconditional.
The damage done in the meantime is the worry ...

This. The rewriting of history with Murphy is extraordinary. The club will be better off when he's moved on.

It was pathetic after half time, the game was lost on the outside spread in there midfield.
Ohhh guess what, that’s Zac Fishers specialty, oh that’s David Cunningham’s specialty.......
Brain ******* surgeons, we are not:
Get that campaigner Moore out of the side, he’s ******* useless.
Cas kicked goals and fed the defence up the line, Moore, apart from two contests, he did nuthin’.
You can’t carry one weak prick in a game no more, simple as that.
TDK would make defenders defend and more than likely, cave their panties alongside Harry and Cas.
sh*t MC
If TDK was not up to it, bring in speed, Zac, Honey, Philp, Cottrell....
Lost at MC.
Not good enough, when I’m an idiot and I can see it.
Stubborn bullshizen.....

Could not agree more.
I’ve mentioned on here many times that DT and the match committee have set a dangerous precedent with their insistence on only promoting players who are thriving at scratch match level. Many of those matches are unrealistic to the real stuff due to the reduced player numbers and game time.
Ideally a player would be thriving in those conditions, but it is not the be all and end all. Sometimes you need to have faith in the players and pick them to fill an need in the senior team (pace, disposal, ruck, etc) even if they’re not setting the world on fire in the 2s.
As has been mentioned, some established players need to have a “rest,” either due to poor form or to recover from injury. Also need to rotate these younger players in stages - not advocating 4 in at once, but surely a Fish or a LOB can come in one week, TDK and/or Honey the next, Cottrell and/or Philp the next.
I understand what DT is doing in “win now” mode, playing his veterans and bigger bodies. But we’re not a contender and need to have an eye on the future. Not playing kids at all costs like BB, but sprinkling them in alongside the vets.

Nice post I truly hope this is the last time they beat us for many years and would love to finish above them at least!
Ok
Gonna offer this for those who suffer intensely from the roller coaster ride and find it hard to cope with.
I decided last nite that I was unwilling right now to let my self stay with those horrible feelings of anger and disappointment. Not sure why it worked but I just allowed myself to let go of expectation that we'd be in the finals this year and suddenly I had a bit of space and perspective.
I realised that we can still make it into the 8 but it's ok this year to go back to watching improvements (there are plenty once you get over last nite) and look forward to Charlie and Kreuze back, with hopefully Papley and or another equal to him next year.
Then
Think that Marchy and Jsos and Fish will be back and we may see some great things with Cottrell and Honey and TDK this year.
I hope that helps at least one of you out there that struggle with losses where we think we will win.
We have been starved so it is no wonder! But remember that you do in fact love this team and try to find some empathy for the weird situation the boys find themselves in. Only human.
Just like us.

Last edited:
Maybe still affected by the ankle

Love his potential, and also his hard work to get back to playing. Was starting to wonder if he’d ever get back on the park. While I am by no means giving up on him, I think he needs to have a spell and get that ankle right. That mid sized defender role is one we need to prepare for, with Simmo likely done this season (or next at the very most). Newman can slot straight back in, but I’d love some options. Need to give Cottrell a go, or even a Philp or a LOB (or a Polson?).

Ok
Gonna offer this for those who suffer intensely from the roller coaster ride and find it hard to cope with.
I decided last nite that I was unwilling right now to let my self stay with those horrible feelings of anger and disappointment. Not sure why it worked but I just allowed myself to let go of expectation that we'd be in the finals this year and suddeny I had a bit of space and perspective.
I realised that we can still make it into the 8 but it's ok this year to go back to watching improvements (there are plenty once you get over last nite) and look forward to Charlie and Kreuze back with hopefully Papley and or equal to next year.
Then
Think that Marchy and Jsos and Fish will be back and we may see some great things with Cottrell and Honey and TDK this year.
I hope that helps at least one of you out there that struggle with losses where we think we will win.
We have been starved so it is no wonder! But remember that you do in fact love this team and try to find some empathy for the weird situation the boys find themselves in. Only human.
Just like us.
Love the shift in mindset, and I love a fit kreuz, but he’ll be 32 and has played what, maybe 5 full seasons of footy over what’s surely 10+ years.

Strongly agree with the calls to convert McGovern into a defender. Time he earned his money by contributing more than 5 touches and a goal per game. He's actually got a good skillset for the role too (good long kicking, vision, pace to close distance, aerial ability), I think it will be the making of him.

Time to blood Cottrell on a wing to replace Murphy/Newnes, or to replace Willo who looks sore and is offering absolutely nothing.

Time to blood Honey in place of Betts, who has done nothing for weeks .

Get LOB in for Newnes. Yes he's kicked goals but he does not get anywhere near enough of the ball. If they want to persist with Newnes, LOB can replace Simpson. It's pointless playing him.

When he's fit it will be time to play JSOS in the midfield where he belongs. He can replace Kennedy who legitimately isn't up to it due to his physical limitations. In the meantime, Kennedy can replace Moore as the "third tall" or whatever role he is meant to be playing. Cuningham can replace Kennedy on ball.

Going forward:

Plowman Jones McGovern
Cottrell Weitering Docherty
Cuningham Silvagni Walsh
Martin McKay Gibbons
Honey Casboult Kennedy
Pittonet Curnow Cripps
Setterfield Petrevski-Seton Dow Fisher/LOB

EDIT: Forgot Walsh

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back