Autopsy Round 11: Hawks audition for top 4 draft pick, v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Our starting mids are by far the biggest issue. The ones in the centre bounce.

That's Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Ceglar and Shiels. That's the concern. Getting the ball at the source.

Not Scully or Stratton or Morrison, that these threads continuously mull over each week.

Our midfield is failing each week.
Spot on.
I disagree with moving Worpel you build your midfield around him he has the biggest development of the quartet.
-It Might be Mitchell & Shiels at this stage don't play in the middle together.
-Ceglar can't continue to dominate.

Change the system or the personal it's not working. (Jones,Finn,Howe)

Last edited:

Without being on the ground it's really hard to know what's going wrong, but I would say we are without a doubt one of the worst in the league at quick handballing to create a free possession.

THIS!

I'm normally too involved and irate when watching us play for any reasonable, objective analysis, but I have certainly noticed the glaring flaw you have pointed out.

The inside mids possesion problem is not just winning it, it's winning it out into clear air. It's just not happening consistently.

Last edited:
This game was lost at the selection table and the persistence of a game style that doesn’t work and player positioning that is simply disjointed and inefficient.

Mitchell should be pushed to a flank and Shiels rested or moved outside. It’s plain stupid to keep rolling out the same configuration and expecting change.

Worps is the midfield building block. Re tool to get him involved. That’s getting Wingard at his side, someone like Howe supporting with the heavy lifting and rotate Jags and Mitchell into the mix as the minder 2-3 mid.

Cegs is 100% or up to the number 1 ruck duties. He will turn out to be an expensive back up.

I actually don’t think that there was any real expectation to win to be honest.
The ground size bs is now in rear vision mirror from NSW and we deliver the same spud game.
The leadership issues continue.... ffs.... abort!!! Look to 2021. Why was BB addressing the team? (Not that I mind as I believe that he was the guy).

It’s a s**t season but these standards across the board starting with Clarko And the coaching staff all the way down to the last player selected is flat out null and void. Really really soft and safe decisions being made on and off the field.

We are battling for a top 3 pick and I expect that we have done enough damage to the brand and playing group to date to be able to roll out the kids and not be questioned for getting spanked further.
There is player earmarked that we want to draft in the top 5, that is a given. Make sure we get that player and they are the next Luke Hodge or Buddy Franklin.

Line in sand game next week for the coaching department. There aren’t any more excuses, we are looking like a bottom 3 side.

I’ve been harping on about our handballing skills for what seems like years now.

We miss the target often. We put the ball at our teammates ankles. We put it up in the air when it needed to be quick and direct.

All of these little things put the next player in the chain of possession under pressure and we more often than not cough it up.

When I look at Sculleys build (basically that of a scrawny year 9) and then I compare him to the 6 foot 3, 90kg plus midfield beasts who dominate the comp at the moment like Dusty and Fyfe I am amazed at how he ever went number 1 in the draft and somehow convinced GWS to pay him a million bucks a year.
You're comparing him with completely different players. It's like comparing Buddy to Breust.

Scully was an absolute jet at his best. I wish people wouldn't forget the fact he had what was supposed to be a career-ending injury. There's a reason we got him for chips, and that's because there was a) doubt he'd ever play again, and b) even if he did, doubt that he'd recapture the pre-injury form.

It's clear he's in column b sadly. We took a gamble on him and it hasn't paid off. Maybe the club thinks he'll recapture it in time, maybe not.

This game was lost at the selection table and the persistence of a game style that doesn’t work and player positioning that is simply disjointed and inefficient.

Mitchell should be pushed to a flank and Shiels rested or moved outside. It’s plain stupid to keep rolling out the same configuration and expecting change.

Worps is the midfield building block. Re tool to get him involved. That’s getting Wingard at his side, someone like Howe supporting with the heavy lifting and rotate Jags and Mitchell into the mix as the minder 2-3 mid.

Cegs is 100% or up to the number 1 ruck duties. He will turn out to be an expensive back up.

I actually don’t think that there was any real expectation to win to be honest.
The ground size bs is now in rear vision mirror from NSW and we deliver the same spud game.
The leadership issues continue.... ffs.... abort!!! Look to 2021. Why was BB addressing the team? (Not that I mind as I believe that he was the guy).

It’s a sh*t season but these standards across the board starting with Clarko And the coaching staff all the way down to the last player selected is flat out null and void. Really really soft and safe decisions being made on and off the field.

We are battling for a top 3 pick and I expect that we have done enough damage to the brand and playing group to date to be able to roll out the kids and not be questioned for getting spanked further.
There is player earmarked that we want to draft in the top 5, that is a given. Make sure we get that player and they are the next Luke Hodge or Buddy Franklin.

Line in sand game next week for the coaching department. There aren’t any more excuses, we are looking like a bottom 3 side.

‘let’s make it the next hodge. We need the next hill and smith later in the draft too

When I look at Sculleys build (basically that of a scrawny year 9) and then I compare him to the 6 foot 3, 90kg plus midfield beasts who dominate the comp at the moment like Dusty and Fyfe I am amazed at how he ever went number 1 in the draft and somehow convinced GWS to pay him a million bucks a year.
You’re surprised that an endurance athlete is not being conditioned to carry weight and muscle?

Wasn't able to see the game, but scoreline and chatter suggests after a week flirting with being notshit we're back to being s**t?

It seems like when opposition bring sustained pressure, we can't execute plan A and plan B doesn't work. (I don't think plan B ever works). Am I miles off viewers?

(I'm very much with Hong Kong Hawk, I find the modern game to be almost unwatchable. The constant throws, the unknowable and completely fluid enforcement of the rules, etc )

THIS!

I'm normally too involved and irate when watching us play for any reasonable, objective analysis, but I have certainly noticed the glaring flaw you have pointed out.

The inside mids possesion problem is not just winning it, it's winning it out into clear air. It's just hot happening consistently.
Haha, I'm normally too irate to notice too but unfortunately this year it's turned to a mixture of bewilderement/resignation.

I generally live overseas but usually get to a a few games each year, where I try to look at our structures etc. but without being able to do that it's hard to see whether we are picking bad options under pressure, or poorly strucured offensively.

Hopefully something we can adress in the offseason either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THIS!

The inside mids possesion problem is not just winning it, it's winning it out into clear air. It's just hot happening consistently.
And the decent teams are very good at this

If we want to play this open , kick possesion game that seems our brand.
Being poor at this is basically a huge breakdown in that system .

Will Day has been a revelation. Plays at a million miles an hour and does what he can to move the ball with some speed.

Imagine if CJ came in and showed some run and dash from HB?

scrimshaw and CJ our HB line with Day up on a wing.

worth a look!!!
Using the Richmond model (think Dusty) and others.

Will Day becomes unaccountable, you need your best decision maker and penetrating kicker
to be playing forward of the ball.
Even better he is a already showing great one on one ability.

Asking a lot but start considering future options.

If thats true, that's a terrible result for us.
Did a bit of digging on the O’Meara deal to see who the picks we traded out ended up being.
I hope I’m correct but the players were Hunter Clark, Ben Long and Josh Battle.
At the moment I think we are losing that trade quite badly. None of those guys would be world beaters and to be honest chances are we wouldn’t have even drafted them ourselves, but gee it stings when O’Meara can send anything but a pitching wedge inside 50.
U can add Liam Ryan to that deal aswell. We Gave them our 2017 second aswell which the traded to west coast. It’s looking like a horrendous deal for us

Time is up for Stratton and Shields. Play some kids - preferably ones with pace and run willing to take the game on.

Drop Scully - replace him with a witches hat if that is all there is left.

Then put Sic at FF. Wingard in the centre. Play one ruck only and tell the campaigners to attack.

If we lose by 100 goals it will still be more watchable than last night.

Jordan Lewis, Shane Crawford, Leigh Matthews and now Luke Hodge are saying we stink, hopefully Clarko wakes up this time, im hoping for Dunstall to come in and fix this mess again.

We do stink. Hawks have a talent issue.

Clarko has papered over the cracks with extra numbers behind the ball but it seems the players are jack of that now.

Not sure he has another plan.

Time to just let them play.

Jaeger is on $800k+ wtf ?? We can complain all we want about the forwards but until our mids clean up their disposals, no forward would do well in our team. The Jaeger kick running free towards the 50 and kicking it straight to the opposition was the perfect example. All our kicks are high loopy hacks into the forward line which is not giving our forwards an advantage.. we don't have strong forwards who would back into a defender and take contested marks, they need it on the lead... someone like Sicilly, Suckling who don't kick loopy but instead slicing flat kicks is what we need from our mids.. wish we still had suckling ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back