Autopsy Round 11: Hawks audition for top 4 draft pick, v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a good couple of games but been injured. I’d rather Burton for the next 12 years and a first rounder then Wingard for the next 4-5 years.

Burton was a star for us, had similar hype to Will Day but we all have such short memories.
You know Wingard is only 4 years older than Burton right? Burton's knee is shot and there's a very good chance Wingard will retire after Burton.

There's only a "Big Three" in Victoria now as far as on-field relevance is concerned - Richmond, Geelong, and Collingwood. Saints might have struggled with the four-day break last night, but facts remain that they've come up way short against the Pies and Cats, and were fortunate to catch Richmond cold in Round 4 (as we were the week before).

Our starting mids are by far the biggest issue. The ones in the centre bounce.

That's Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Ceglar and Shiels. That's the concern. Getting the ball at the source.

Not Scully or Stratton or Morrison, that these threads continuously mull over each week.

Our midfield is failing each week.
This.

And it's really hard to fathom, as on paper it's a reasonable unit, better than we've had in either of the past two years where our midfield was competitive.

This makes me wonder if part of it is structure/game plan. Most teams seem to be know exactly where to instincively handball to try to free up a player for a less rushed possession, but we seem to really struggle to do this (resulting in rushed kicks to the forward line which frustrate us all). Are we being outnumbered at the contest?Maybe we are being too rigid in our defensive structure behind the ball so missing the run coming from behind?

Without being on the ground it's really hard to know what's going wrong, but I would say we are without a doubt one of the worst in the league at quick handballing to create a free possession.

I was pleased to see us trying to take the game on a little more this week though..

Do we think Scully will get the golden handshake at the end of the year?
What a wet lettuce leaf handshake that would be.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Tom mustn’t have any fingers and has stumps for hands because his ball handling skills are horrendously sub standard. Very rarely does he one grab a ball (credit where it’s due, he did take a good mark early but that’s all I can recall).

I had it in my mind that after an okay season last year, he’d go to another level this year. It appears that he has, but that level is a mile backwards.

He has absolutely no presence in a contest and just about every time he runs clear to collect a ball it turns into a turnover due to his lack of composure, touch and physicality. As far as wingmen go, he’s making Billy Hartung look like Dipper at the moment.

That's Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Ceglar and Shiels. That's the concern. Getting the ball at the source.

Not Scully or Stratton or Morrison, that these threads continuously mull over each week.

Sack Sam Mitchell?

Amongst several this is been a huge issue.

I think Worpel and Mitchell are struggling to work together and this is having a massive flow on effect through that unit , then the rest of the side.

Worpel is coming off a B&F season without Mitchell , Mitchell comes back and both now need to give a little rather then ve the go too all the time.
We dont seem to create space or block for each other like a lot of other midfield units.

Im sure its being worked on and Im confident it will turn . Just looks like that will be 2021.
Wouldn't mind seeing Worpel or JOM moved to a wing of even HBF for a run , just to change it up .

While its functioning like that consistently we arent winning many games .

Has anyone noticed Gunston's desperation to take on the game (especially when we are in a losing position)? He tries to carry the team on his own shoulders which is really commendable. The problem is he isnt in the category of player where he can do it on his own. I cant help but feel like we named the wrong captain. We need a leader that shows desperation and urgency. I will be shocked if there isnt a handover at the end of the year. And Gunston is the man for me.
Should have been Gunners as captain two years ago IMHO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He drifted out of the game in the last a little, but for 3 quarters Harry Morrison was everywhere. Was even bestowed with the fire emoji on FanFooty for his efforts.

Tom Scully on the other hand...
It was a great mark running back with the flight, but once again his stats tell the tale. 9 disposals, no tackles.

I mention this because without Smith (most likely), team selection will be even more interesting. Scully SHOULD be dropped, but I think Smiths injury saves him. I'm still huge on playing the kids to finish this season. I'd move Day to a wing (probably less bash and crash there for him anyway). Morrison, Day and Nash and O'Meara to rotate through there.

Jones into the middle to at least be given a couple of games to prove himself.

We are too tall and not nibble enough at ground level around the stoppages. 'Manage' 1 tall, at least for a few weeks. I want Wingard as a permanent mid. Even 70/30 would be good enough.

Moore in to play high half forward. Give him a few games to see if his scratch match form can translate.

CJ in for some more dash off half back.

Impey as pressure forward. Didn't do a lot last night but I like him there. He can make it is own.

I'll instantly feel better about where we are going if these changes were made. You can handle a loss if it looks like we're casting an eye on the future.

Tonight was the first time I’ve been angry with his attack on the man. It’s like he’s gone in with jelly arms. Opposition don’t even break stride. They just waltz out of any attempt he makes to tackle and can’t even slow them down.
When I look at Sculleys build (basically that of a scrawny year 9) and then I compare him to the 6 foot 3, 90kg plus midfield beasts who dominate the comp at the moment like Dusty and Fyfe I am amazed at how he ever went number 1 in the draft and somehow convinced GWS to pay him a million bucks a year.

I think everyone is forgetting that Mitchell broke his leg last year. Some players never come back from this sort of injury. Think about what it does to him in terms of strength, speed, endurance and confidence. I fully expected he would have an average season this year. I thought he would need to be managed due to leg soreness. I think he is doing better than I thought he would. Look for a better season next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Honestly lets just look at the Frost decision again. Commentators are crying out for flair in our game and he gets crucified by umpires. he went 40m max according to ground markings, and bounced the ball in between Ok that’s not the rule but you often see players run further
We only beat the good teams. Same as last year. No idea why we can beat Brisbane and Richmond but can’t beat bottom four teams 🤷‍♂️

‘it’s motivation and appetite. But I see gunner an punky and big boy busting a gut each week. I still have faith the list can be built upon

Last edited:
He drifted out of the game in the last a little, but for 3 quarters Harry Morrison was everywhere. Was even bestowed with the fire emoji on FanFooty for his efforts.

Tom Scully on the other hand...
It was a great mark running back with the flight, but once again his stats tell the tale. 9 disposals, no tackles.

I mention this because without Smith (most likely), team selection will be even more interesting. Scully SHOULD be dropped, but I think Smiths injury saves him. I'm still huge on playing the kids to finish this season. I'd move Day to a wing (probably less bash and crash there for him anyway). Morrison, Day and Nash and O'Meara to rotate through there.

Jones into the middle to at least be given a couple of games to prove himself.

We are too tall and not nibble enough at ground level around the stoppages. 'Manage' 1 tall, at least for a few weeks. I want Wingard as a permanent mid. Even 70/30 would be good enough.

Moore in to play high half forward. Give him a few games to see if his scratch match form can translate.

CJ in for some more dash off half back.

Impey as pressure forward. Didn't do a lot last night but I like him there. He can make it is own.

I'll instantly feel better about where we are going if these changes were made. You can handle a loss if it looks like we're casting an eye on the future.

maybe ceglar is the tall to sacrifice. Looking at the stats and my impresssion, the talls are the ones who are the best kicks

When I look at Sculleys build (basically that of a scrawny year 9) and then I compare him to the 6 foot 3, 90kg plus midfield beasts who dominate the comp at the moment like Dusty and Fyfe I am amazed at how he ever went number 1 in the draft and somehow convinced GWS to pay him a million bucks a year.
He's actually so soft it's become a liability, as it permeates through the team, you can see it. I've never said that about an AFL footballer. He has to be dropped.

Credit to Freos pressure, but we are just so down on confidence, all we can do it bomb the ball and hope. It's made Clarko's gameplan look under 10s. It's now embarrassing.

This.

And it's really hard to fathom, as on paper it's a reasonable unit, better than we've had in either of the past two years where our midfield was competitive.

This makes me wonder if part of it is structure/game plan. Most teams seem to be know exactly where to instincively handball to try to free up a player for a less rushed possession, but we seem to really struggle to do this (resulting in rushed kicks to the forward line which frustrate us all). Are we being outnumbered at the contest?Maybe we are being too rigid in our defensive structure behind the ball so missing the run coming from behind?

Without being on the ground it's really hard to know what's going wrong, but I would say we are without a doubt one of the worst in the league at quick handballing to create a free possession.

I was pleased to see us trying to take the game on a little more this week though..

‘sometimes Clarko used to play schoey behind the packs just to scoop up any free opponents with the ball. Try Nash there?

We only beat the good teams. Same as last year. No idea why we can beat Brisbane and Richmond but can’t beat bottom four teams 🤷‍♂️
Hey in all honesty I said similar in the early pages of the game day thread, that my concern is that we struggle against teams that don't have a clearly defined game style. Why do we play well against good teams? They are more predicable to defend against and whilst we don't have the cattle to play a greater percentage of time attacking, we fall back to playing risk adverse footy.

My issue from last night's game was that even when we couldn't win in the midfield we also couldn't defend the middle long enough for the troops to arrive and in saying that I feel that those troops were pushing back anyway.
The amount of times Freo moved the ball forward from the sweeper position did my head in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back