Have any of you insider folk got any idea of what is the reason we don’t even try and play a key forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

That said, Lewis should be the only option when fit we persist with this year. Let's see if he can show what he did last year.
So we just ignore the 27yr old with the better exposed form at the highest level? 😂

So we just ignore the 27yr old with the better exposed form at the highest level? 😂
We all knew his 2020 would likely be sketchy, but a fit Patton would be welcome addition to a number of teams regardless.

Mate. He’s been in the system for 6-7 years. He’s 193cm, has a great leap and kick but just hasn’t taken that next step to dominate games. I don’t buy that sacrifice stuff. He should be smashing the packs and imposing himself on games. And at 26 he should be hitting his prime. Sorry but I’ve lost patience.
He really isn’t that player though. He is a third tall being asked to play kpf because the ones we have are garbage.

Who? Patton?

I truly don't get why so many think this is going to work out. I feel for the guy, but 2017 was a lifetime ago, and sadly a third ACL and multiple other injuries ago for him...

Bit stiff we don't have any reserves football, but he should only appear ahead of Lewis on the back of exceptional VFL form. Until then, Lewis is the one we need to invest in as he is way more likely then Patton to contribute to our next premiership team...

Who? Patton?

I truly don't get why so many think this is going to work out. I feel for the guy, but 2017 was a lifetime ago, and sadly a third ACL and multiple other injuries ago for him...
Did you say the same about Burgoyne, Lake, Dew and Frawley when they had interrupted starts to their time at Hawthorn?

Did you say the same about Burgoyne, Lake, Dew and Frawley when they had interrupted starts to their time at Hawthorn?

Doesn't stack up for me mate.

1. None of these were coming off three, three, ACL's, as a gorilla key forward. Not even close. Silk had one ACL, as a utility. Worse yet, Patton is getting soft tissue injuries now.

2. We were contending. Our current list doesn't fit the timeline of Patton who will be 28 next year.

We need to push youth over speculative (because of injuries) 27 years olds at every opportunity now.... Lewis kicked 20 goals in 12 games last year. He is 22 this year. It's a no brainer who needs to be given the rest of this year to develop.

The way we play, we should just throw Ceglar down as a full forward when he gets back. We seem to bomb it in anyway, just plonk him 25-30 out from goal, bomb it to him, and let him take a few standing marks. Or Reeves, as long as he can mark and kick straight, surely give him a whirl
Our worst set shot for goal in the team.

1. None of these were coming off three, three, ACL's, as a gorilla key forward. Not even close. Silk had one ACL, as a utility. Worse yet, Patton is getting soft tissue injuries now.

2. We were contending. Our current list doesn't fit the timeline of Patton who will be 28 next year.

We need to push youth over speculative (because of injuries) 27 years olds at every opportunity now.... Lewis kicked 20 goals in 12 games last year. He is 22 this year. It's a no brainer who needs to be given the rest of this year to develop.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’m still hopeful that Patton will make it.

I can’t see us in a position to dump all of our squad. We have about 10-12 key players who could be part of our next premiership with gaps to fill around them.

Give Patton another full pre season to get his body and confidence right and see How he and Lewis team up in 2021!

Every single one of those players mentioned had soft tissue injuries or troubles in their first year at Hawthorn.

Your writing off a 27yr old because he did his hamstring. Once.

Every single one of those players mentioned had soft tissue injuries or troubles in their first year at Hawthorn.

.....on top of three knee injuries. You’re just going to overlook that are you?
You saw his reaction to what turned out to be a hamstring injury. That’s gotta tell you he has lost confidence in his body.

Last edited:
Riewoldt, Hawkins and JJK are all major contributors for top 4 sides and function alongside other, younger key forward targets. Giving up on Patton because he's 27 (5 years younger than the above mentioned players) and a bloke who's played maybe 5 good games is around is a bit short-sighted isn't it?

His injury history is no doubt concerning but he should definitely be given the rest of this and next year to see if he can get his body right before making any snap judgements about his age. Ideally we'd have both Patton and Lewis in a cohesive forward line in a couple of years, not one or the other

.....on top of three knee injuries. You’re just going to overlook that are you?
You saw his reaction to what turned out to be a hamstring injury. That’s gotta tell you he has lost confidence in his body.
It showed to me that he was frustrated - had nothing to do with a loss of confidence - more that he was very confident in what he could do if allowed to & mighty pissed off.

If I were a 2m/100kg power forward who wasn't allowed to lead or have guys kick to my advantage & was told to chase kicks up on the wing & then did my hamstring, I'd have punched f*** outta someone - Clarko & the Forwardline Coach got off mighty lightly...

No.

I am playing Lewis ahead of him because he is 22 and we are nowhere near a flag. Patton is 28 next year, has had three ACL's and recent soft tissue injures. I couldn't be clearer brother.

Lewis has been really disappointing in the games he has played this year, but last year he was widely regarded as a real prospect up forward. He has actually kicked more goals than Patton at the same stage, games played, in their careers...

Playing Patton over Lewis feels like Melbourne continuing to play T-Mac over Weiderman ... The season is gone, surely we need to see Lewis over Patton.

That said, I get you waited until today to reply because you know that Patton will play this weekend...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

I am playing Lewis ahead of him because he is 22 and we are nowhere near a flag. Patton is 28 next year, has had three ACL's and recent soft tissue injures. I couldn't be clearer brother.

Lewis has been really disappointing in the games he has played this year, but last year he was widely regarded as a real prospect up forward. He has actually kicked more goals than Patton at the same stage, games played, in their careers...

Playing Patton over Lewis feels like Melbourne continuing to play T-Mac over Weiderman ... The season is gone, surely we need to see Lewis over Patton.

That said, I get you waited until today to reply because you know that Patton will play this weekend...

This is what you posted.

That said, Lewis should be the only option when fit we persist with this year. Let's see if he can show what he did last year.

You want to only play Lewis regardless of Patton’s form.

This is what you posted.

You want to only play Lewis regardless of Patton’s form.

This year. No questions I do.

Next year, if Patton dominates at VFL level and Lewis struggles at AFL, I'd happily swap.

But with six largely meaningless, win-loss, games left... I really want to see the 22 year old who looked like our long term forward last year.

This year. No questions I do.

Next year, if Patton dominates at VFL level and Lewis struggles at AFL, I'd happily swap.

But with six largely meaningless, win-loss, games left... I really want to see the 22 year old who looked like our long term forward last year.
Well you’re dreaming.

No club is going to bring a player in and then ignore them while they gift games to someone who hasn’t earned them, just because he’s younger.

The club would become a laughing stock.

Lol Yes lets just give games to Lewis cos he is younger regardless of form. This is not video game mate. Its a real AFL team. Real individuals and team mates. You earn a game. Its the reason Finn hasn't got a gig yet. He is behind others who deserve to play before him. Cousins for instance is one. He may not be on the list in coming years like Finn (might) but he gets a gig before Finn

Well you’re dreaming.

No club is going to bring a player in and then ignore them while they gift games to someone who hasn’t earned them, just because he’s younger.

The club would become a laughing stock.

What do you mean hasn't earned them? Lewis averaged 2 goals a game as a 21 year old... he's played four games this year.... four.

What on earth has Patton done in his 16 games, four this year, since 2017 to say he is more deserving?

If Patton show consistent quality football at a lower level... sure... but until that, if that, happens... play the kid with the upside that had him named by many experts as a top 10 young key forward prospect.

Last edited:
Lol Yes lets just give games to Lewis cos he is younger regardless of form. This is not video game mate. Its a real AFL team. Real individuals and team mates. You earn a game. Its the reason Finn hasn't got a gig yet. He is behind others who deserve to play before him. Cousins for instance is one. He may not be on the list in coming years like Finn (might) but he gets a gig before Finn

What has Patton done to earn a game?

What do you mean hasn't earned them? Lewis averaged 2 goals a game as a 21 year old... he's played four games this year.... four.

What on earth has Patton done in his 16 games, four this year, since 2017 to say he is more deserving?

If Patton show consistent quality football at a lower level... sure... but until that, if that, happens... play the kid with the upside that had him named by many experts as a top 10 young key forward prospect.
So you’re moving the goal posts of the argument now.

You stated that Lewis should play the year out and that Patton should not be considered.

So you’re moving the goal posts of the argument now.

You stated that Lewis should play the year out and that Patton should not be considered.

It's the same as what I have always said.

"Bit stiff (Patton) we don't have any reserves football, but he should only appear ahead of Lewis on the back of exceptional VFL form".

To be clear, I am not entirely writing Patton off. I just believe that Lewis is the far more likely prospect to lead our forward line moving forward, and with only six largely irrelevant (win/loss) games to go, we need to keep investing in his development.

I feel for Patton, but until we can see him get a clear run at it at a lower level with his body, I don't believe we should be investing these games in him.

i suggest that the hawthorn coaching staff watch more reserves and training than you do so they're probably in a better decision to make that judgement call

I hate these arguments. Why even bother coming on big footy.

I hate these arguments. Why even bother coming on big footy.

well you asked and i gave you the obvious answer? the coaches and selectors watch the team and would have various things they want to see before they pick players

Patton is clearly ticking them, Lewis is clearly not. It's very simple. I come on bigfooty to have a discussion about the team, about what we're doing right and wrong, and to enjoy the club I love with my fellow supporters.

It seems you come on BigFooty with the sole purpose of criticising the list, the club, the players, the management and going invisible whenever anything positive happens. So I could ask you the exact same question? What's the point of coming on here if you're only going to whine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back