Review Round 15, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On-field reserves coach next year IMO. I just don't trust him in contests, and his kicking isn't good enough any more to compensate.

Only negative comment I am going to make tonight.
Fair call.
Love his ball use, but probably better to go out while there's something in the tank.
His years during the Hawks flags were something to remember.
He has nothing left to prove.

7- Why the hell wasn't that a free kick to Robbo after that charge in the back from Maynard, unfathomable decision by the umpires... I'd bet my left nut that if Robbo did the exact same thing to Pendlbury after a Magpies goal the decision would have been free kick.
Not to mention he'd be suspended too.

Twitter reporting Birchall just said on the radio he has triggered a new deal for next year.
He needs to have a good think about whether it's time to hang the boots up.
You can't keep giving him games on past glory.

Hmm I dunno. I love what he's given us with some attacking kicks this year but is it really more than what Witherden gives us? Some of his defensive efforts have been pretty meh last few weeks. Happy for him to be best 22 but if we're feeling any sort of list crunch going forward giving him another year is questionable.

7- Why the hell wasn't that a free kick to Robbo after that charge in the back from Maynard, unfathomable decision by the umpires... I'd bet my left nut that if Robbo did the exact same thing to Pendlbury after a Magpies goal the decision would have been free kick.

Congratulations on the win. Clearly hungrier, more desperate and skilful and deserved the win.

Probably right about Robbo, but he did flatten Noble who was trying to get up after the goal.

Congratulations on the win. Clearly hungrier, more desperate and skilful and deserved the win.

Probably right about Robbo, but he did flatten Noble who was trying to get up after the goal.
Usually the one who retaliates is the one that gets pinged, could not understand it, the umpire was 10 meters from it.

One thing I did appreciate that hasn't gotten much credit here was Charlie's game. He didnt get a goal but his work rate was way, way up. He even cracked in really well at the end of the 4th when he had to play an inside mid role because we were just stacking everyone back. If he hadn't had the bullshit free against inside fifty in the last he probably would have topped it off with a cracking goal. Really positive performance

I think Charles suffers by a fair bit more than most his teammates disposal to him. (or maybe he is just more emotive in remonstrating when its a bad kick to him). He does so well sometimes when the kick is s**t, and he also has multiple avenues to win the ball (speed on the lead, double back, the speccy etc), I can understand why when he doesn't get it its a shame.. .but yeah. I completely agree he was much better this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Dunstall and Reiwoldt did was pot us as well . Plus the big advantage we have with finals at the Gabba. I didn't even know but they told us 35 times.

Didn't see any Fox post game stuff. Weird from Dunstall though. Guy has been openly barracking for us recently, even sneaking in "go lions" before the affiliate cross. Maybe he had cash on the Pies? lol if he did.

Usually the one who retaliates is the one that gets pinged, could not understand it, the umpire was 10 meters from it.

The retaliation was so far after the play had stopped. It does boggle the mind. I just don't understand.

Fun Fact: Keidean Coleman has not lost a game playing in a lions jumper for over two years. (Terms and conditions apply. Playing in a mickey mouse scratch match competition where we lend the opposition players does not count.)
That's an awesome stat.

And hasn't he got genuine talent . Pace ,composure and gutsy as well. You just have to persevere with guys like that. I feel the same about Ah Chee. Some of the things he does are incredible . No one took a mark all night like he took at a very crucial point . And then followed it up with a belter of an attack on the ball . He's almost there , still trying to define a role for him.

I do worry as we go thru long periods without scoring , Charlie being a bit flat isn’t helping

Didn't see any Fox post game stuff. Weird from Dunstall though. Guy has been openly barracking for us recently, even sneaking in "go lions" before the affiliate cross. Maybe he had cash on the Pies? lol if he did.
Actually was more Riewoldt, he was filthy and I thought the same thing as you, it was his pocket talking. Go Lions

Not exactly a confidence inspiring win but you take those every day of the week. We have lost plenty of them over recent history and it is good to be good enough to win against top 8 teams even when you play poorly.

With that said there were some real positives to come out of the win.

Coleman - I was massively on the bandwagon since early last year and it was no surprise that he showed real promise. His skills by hand and foot were excellent and he is the kind of distributor we want kicking it into 50. He showed good composure under pressure and worked through traffic really nicely. There were a couple of occasions when the speed of play caught him out but it won't take him time to adapt. He worked hard, showed some nice pace and made some good tackles. Great debut. Ah Chee was very ordinary for the first three quarters and has to be under pressure to hold his spot.

Berry - as has been obvious for a long time he is very good when he gets plenty of time on ball. He was there all day and was BOG. He is big bodied and big of heart and he won us the game.

Andrews - was dominant before the injury. I actually don't mind him taking a couple of weeks off. It should freshen him up for the finals and also allow us to fix our back structure for the finals. We have been playing too short and getting three games into Payne could allow Fagan to get confidence in him and cement a spot beside Andrews for the finals. Personally I would bring in both Eagles and Payne and give us much needed height and allow Gardner to move to third tall. With that said they could bring in Skinner given he has been a defender for virtually his whole senior career.

Big O - personally I thought Grundy had the win but it was a close run thing and that is a huge positive for us. Being able to split the points in the ruck addresses a problem for us even when Martin was playing. Developing week on week.

Starcevich - I have thought he has been serviceable this year but today he was much better than that. I thought today was easily his best game for us and played a crucial role for us especially when Harris went down.

Neale and Lyons - were both good without being exceptional imo. Got a fair bit of important ball but did not do too much damage with it.

McCluggage - had a fair few important possessions and was a pretty big physical pressence today which was a bit different from what you usually associate with him.

Rayner - did not dominate but had some really good passages and imposed himself physically on the contest on a few occasions. He has showed some nice upward trajectory this year and he might well still turn into the player we all hoped he would be. Petracca took a fair while to get there and Rayner seems to be following that path. Both are similar types of players.

Back