Unsolved Janine Vaughan - Bathurst * Investigative podcast by Hedley Thomas

Abducted 2001, never seen again. Presumed murdered.

Interesting case that's been quite controversial given one of the police officers assigned to the investigation was suspected of, on record as stalking Janine and the work diary containing notes with details apparently disappeared.

jv.png

31 year-old Janine Vaughan had been out drinking at the Ox Hotel in Bathurst, New South Wales, with her friends the evening of 6 December 2001. In the early hours the three had headed to the Tavern Nightclub and left around 4am on 7 December. Walking up Keppel Street Vaughan was about 40 metres ahead of the others when a red car pulled up in front of her. Without hesitation Vaughan got into the car which then drove off. The friends were distracted, and shouted after her briefly but Vaughan was never seen or heard from again.

Vaughan had lost her bag the night of her disappearance and it was found later by the cleaner who said that it had been jammed in the corner behind a board in an attempt to hide it and had been covered with a packet of crisps.

jv.jpg

Hosemans joined the NSW Police Force in 1982, was stationed in Bathurst at the time of Vaughan's disappearance and was the Investigations Manager. He was also the Deputy Mayor of Bathurst.

On the day of Vaughan's disappearance Hosemans was on leave and did not return to work until 10 December. When Hosemans returned to work he was placed in charge of the investigation with all progress regularly reported to him until it was taken over by homicide detectives. Hosemans remained involved in the investigation until October 2002, even when he wasn't officially a part of the investigation.

Just months prior to Vaughan’s disappearance, Hosemans was involved at an incident at the Bathurst Golf Club which had resulted in criminal charges – including wilful and obscene exposure and aggravated indecent assault against a 24 year old female employee of the club. These charges were eventually dropped/acquitted but despite this, he was dismissed from the force.

The presiding Magistrate's adverse remarks on the credibility of Hoseman et al "I have already indicated that I regard the witnesses Kelly and Constable to not be truthful in the giving of their evidence and that I had formed the view they were not the only ones. I did not mean at the time that I made that statement that the other two were the defendants Hosemans and Woolfe although it is abundantly clear by now that they are not to be believed on their oath. Throughout these proceedings there has been the permeating odour or undercurrent of cover up and deceit."

At the time of her disappearance Vaughan was the Manager of Ed Harry's menswear store. Statements made by people close to Vaughan indicated that she had told them of various types of contact with Hosemans in the months leading up to her disappearance. Witnesses state that the officer had expressed an interest in Vaughan and had inquired about her.

He was sending her flowers, making weird and inappropriate phone calls and kept walking past the front of the store getting himself noticed. Vaughan's employer advised her to log the behaviour in the store's diary.

In a subsequent review one officer noted that statement takers in the initial investigation 'left out issues with Hoseman's'. In other words, they were protecting him.

In June 2005 the Commissioner of Police received an anonymous letter alleging that Hosemans was involved in Vaughan's disappearance.

Anonymous Letter Send

He was eventually cleared apparently even after producing a false alibi for the night in question. Or has he been?

Late last month police announced they had the car thought to be the same one Janine was picked up in and they're waiting for DNA results so they might be getting close to solving this crime.

For some time the locals in and around the region have been suggesting a serial killer was operating in their area, Janine isn't the only girl to go missing nor is it the first time evidence has vanished in these cases.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
criminal charges against Hosemans – including wilful and obscene exposure and aggravated indecent assault against a 24 year-old female employee of the club. These charges were eventually dropped but despite this, he was dismissed from the force.

---

He was sending her flowers, making weird and inappropriate phone calls and kept walking past the front of the store getting himself noticed. Vaughan's employer advised her to log the behaviour in the store's diary.
Classic stalker profile. Also has the possibility of major escalation.

I would assume the dropped charges relate to pulling his erect penis out - wilful and obscene exposure - and masturbated to climax over her - aggravated indecent assault.

That and his stalking would have resulted in some serious mental demons going on - (not excusing) and the classic - nobody will be able to go to the police and complain about me ever again - killing his victims.

*all supposition

Iworkthecircus

All Australian
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Classic stalker profile. Also has the possibility of major escalation.

I would assume the dropped charges relate to pulling his erect penis out - wilful and obscene exposure - and masturbated to climax over her - aggravated indecent assault.

That and his stalking would have resulted in some serious mental demons going on - (not excusing) and the classic - nobody will be able to go to the police and complain about me ever again - killing his victims.

*all supposition

A quick google search chieftain
Instead of hypothetical could result in better threads on here

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

A quick google search chieftain
Instead of hypothetical could result in better threads on here
Sure, now explain the wilful and obscene exposure charge

Iworkthecircus

All Australian
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Sure, now explain the wilful and obscene exposure charge
I’m not going to sit here and critique some dillbys rap sheet pal , I got enough on my plate .
As for explaining police charge motives . I’ve got using threatening words in a public place for telling someone to pay up on the ph , there modius operandi is there blue not mine .
Intresting case shellyg cheers

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I’m not going to sit here and critique some dillbys rap sheet pal , I got enough on my plate .
As for explaining police charge motives . I’ve got using threatening words in a public place for telling someone to pay up on the ph , there modius operandi is there blue not mine .
Intresting case shellyg cheers
Yet you are quite happy critiquing me? So you have no idea. Cheers chieftan

Interesting doc thanks Sprockets.

There was another police function at the Golf Club that night and a lot of the cops had gone into town from there, some of them had been in the company of Janine at one pub and then appeared at another pub she went to after leaving the first one. Later, she was essentially taken from right under all their noses, including her friends.

Hoseman's alibi was shot to pieces but it was left out of a report. Minor slip up.

5.9 In giving evidence to the Commission concerning his report to Kuiters, Jacob said he could not explain why he did not mention in his report the fact that the telephone records suggested that Hosemans was in Bathurst at the time of Ms Vaughan’s disappearance, thus contradicting Hosemans’ alibi.150 He denied that the report was intended to mislead, and said “I simply didn’t put it in there”.15

Hadley Thomas of The Teachers Pet is doing a podcast, out early August.

A young woman disappears into a rain-soaked night. A country town divides on rumour and speculation. And the relentless quest of a family to uncover the truth.
The Walkley Award-winning investigative journalist behind The Teacher’s Pet, Hedley Thomas, is back with a brand new podcast, The Night Driver.

What may have been evidence in the Jessica Small abduction in Bathurst, underwear, bleach and a bloodstained blanket found in the forest was also destroyed.

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009 - ABC

The inquest into the disappearance of Bathurst woman Janine Vaughan has heard a blood-stained knife found in the Bathurst area was destroyed without further analysis.

The second week of the inquest before coroner Mary Jerram has resumed at the Bathurst Courthouse, in central western New South Wales, after it last sat in June.

Senior Sergeant Noel Paine has told the inquest that shortly after the 31-year-old, formerly of Muswellbrook, vanished in 2001, a knife was discovered in a nursing home driveway in nearby Kelso.

The inquest heard it had apparent blood stains, had hairs attached to it and was to be checked to see if was related to Ms Vaughan's disappearance.

When asked by counsel assisting the coroner, Chris Ronalds, what happened to the knife, Senior Sergeant Paine told the court he had later been informed it was never resubmitted for further analysis and destroyed.

Interview with Charlie Bezzina.

During the inquest, 47 people were carefully examined, including Bathurst deputy mayor and Detective Sergeant Brad Hosemans, who initially led the investigation into Janine’s disappearance. Upon being named a suspect, Hosemans claimed he was in Newcastle on the day Janine disappeared. Police later found evidence that he was actually in Bathurst, and the former police officer said he made an error.

Hosemans has always denied any wrongdoing, and the Police Integrity Commission, as well as the coroner, have cleared him of any involvement in Janine’s disappearance.

https://www.mamamia.com.au/janine-v...9BTTJoI0QVH850NY7QdMsYXIdHuA_zsIhuvBTMT_8mkQ4

Hedley Thomas's new investigative podcast The Night Driver.

A young woman disappears into a rain-soaked night. A country town divides on rumour and speculation. And the relentless quest of a family to uncover the truth.

The Walkley Award-winning investigative journalist behind The Teacher’s Pet, Hedley Thomas, is back with a brand new podcast, The Night Driver.

And the policeman these three women had a relationship with was Hosemans.

THE TWO women tormented her for more than a year, terrorising her with mysterious phone calls and drive-bys. She even claims her house was shot at and vandalised with eggs and that cow manure was dumped in her yard.

All three women had a relationship with the same local policeman, yet when he became a murder suspect and the target of a major police inquiry, the campaign of harassment was uncovered in a covert surveillance operation.

Sally-Anne Walker says the fight has ruined her life. The 34-year-old victim - nicknamed Blondie by her attackers - had been working at the central-western NSW newspaper The Western Advocate with Clementine Cuneo, now a reporter for Sydney's The Daily Telegraph, when their relationship suddenly began to deteriorate.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Janine had a stalker who would leave notes on her car and broke into her garage, she said she had no idea who it was. The notes were found after she disappeared stuffed into a handbag in her wardrobe.

View attachment 954963
Were these ever released at the time? Very distinctive handwriting

Hosemans, the officer in charge of the investigation and who was facing allegations of sexual assault at the time gave a false alibi for the night Janine went missing, some of these police officers below knew it was false and lied to the coroner. The store diary documenting Hosemans harassing Janine went missing and statements from several witnesses mentioning Hosemans interest in Janine was omitted not just once but over and over. It goes on and on.

Whether he was responsible or not, he lied and it didn't take the people of Bathurst long to start to work it out.

POLICE INTEGRITY COMMISSION REPORT TO PARLIAMENT OPERATION RANI DECEMBER 2007

The following persons were the subject of substantial allegations made during the investigation and therefore are “affected persons” for the purposes of section 97 of the Police Integrity Commission Act 1996 (the Act):

Hosemans, Bradley George
Jacob, Paul Yervan
McFawn, Lance Leslie
Sim, Ritchie Ian Duncan
Young, Stephanie Anne

file:///C:/Users/Gary/Pictures/Documents/Downloads/Rani_Report__1_.pdf

Back