Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at our current out of contract players (excluding wood as we know he will sign a new contract) and if list sizes will be 40 (38/2) this is what I would do:

New Contracts:
Duryea
Cavarra
Jong
Sweet (R) - think he stays on the rookie list
Gardner (R) - think he will get upgraded
Roarke (R) - think he stays on the rookie list if possible

Retire:
Dickson
Suckling

Trade/delist:
Lynch
Porter
Gowers
Greene
Trengove
Hayes
La Young (R)

That would leave us with 5 senior list spots and no rookie list spots. I think we will need to take 4 open spots to the draft to match a JUH bid.

So to bring more than one player in through trade or free agency we will need to move on a jong or cavarra or trade a contracted player. Unless we are happy to go in with 3 picks to the draft and go into deficit.

Personally I would prefer us to split our first rounder this year for more picks and trade out next years first for a player/s

From what i've been told it's going to be 38 and 2 rookies for clubs next season so with the mandatory 3 draftees that means we'll need to chop about 7 players

I know I will get shot down but there are a few players I would like us to enquire about.
Narkle, Hunt, McDonald, McDonald-Tip, Duggan, Coleman, Constable, Preuss.
I'm sure there are others that I'd like, these players aren't world beaters but would fill a specific role or give us something we are lacking.

I know I will get shot down but there are a few players I would like us to enquire about.
Narkle, Hunt, McDonald, McDonald-Tip, Duggan, Coleman, Constable, Preuss.
I'm sure there are others that I'd like, these players aren't world beaters but would fill a specific role or give us something we are lacking.

Duggan borderline all Australian this year. Has become a weapon. No way we have the draft equity to get him.

Coleman-Jones interests me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bont, Libba and VDM are probably our best kicks into f50 at the moment. X O’Halloran would challenge them. He is very direct in his play and is a good decision maker. I would rather have XO with the ball than most other players. He might be a player who gets you 10 meters of run plus 40 meters kick to a target on each possession.
The knock on XO is he does get enough of the ball. To fix that, you increase his endurance (which he has worked on) and have him train to be the link man. XO will run back to defend but we really want him to be involved higher up the ground.
Sounds a bit like Ryan Griffen

On the main boards, that Carlton ITK C4 something suggested we have the 3rd most cap space, behind Carlton (1st) and Port (2nd).

Assuming that's true, you'd have to think we're into some sort of player this year. Can't imagine we look at picking up any good player through trades given we won't have a lot to work with, but with that much cap space opening up, surely it can't all just be going towards extensions, especially since all the important players have signed on already. Only problem is that the only decent Free Agents have either committed somewhere (Corr to North, Williams to Carlton) or are not suitable based on recent moves (Daniher, Cameron).

Just seems odd that there's been next to no info come out about our upcoming trade period despite the apparent cap space.
Given we lose Dickson and Trengove this year, potentially Suckling, and Wood's contract was huge and I assume has reduced substantially (he signed his last on the on the back of the 2015 AA year and 2016 premiership captaincy) we would certainly have some room to move.

Countering that will be a substantial increase in Bailey Smith's contract as his two year AFL-standard draftee contract expires.

It's like the great Microphone head never existed :'(

Unrealised potential, if they gave him another number he would have been a star ;) (although #2 didn't help at the Suns ).:)

From what i've been told it's going to be 38 and 2 rookies for clubs next season so with the mandatory 3 draftees that means we'll need to chop about 7 players
Clubs are lobbying for a 2 draftee year this year, reverting back to three in 2021.
We have a few fringe players who would be nervous right now.

it looks like Essendon are looking at an exodus similar to the Crows. Is there anyone there we would look to go after.

Also, noticed an article today that Essendon might make a play for Talia even though he still has a year to run. Would be a great fit for us so is there any chance of us cutting their lunch????

it looks like Essendon are looking at an exodus similar to the Crows. Is there anyone there we would look to go after.

Also, noticed an article today that Essendon might make a play for Talia even though he still has a year to run. Would be a great fit for us so is there any chance of us cutting their lunch????
Talia wont ever play for our club. It's unfortunate given the family ties but the whole phonegate ruined a lot of fantastic history. He's also probably a fair bit too slow to keep up with our zone and his balldrop is one of the slowest in the comp.

Next question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

P
They’re not even remotely the same. Butler kicked 30 goals in a premiership team and was pushed out due to the Tigers having a abundance of quality small forwards.

Bedford can’t even get a game for a Demons team crying out for a small forward, so much that they traded an abundance of quality picks and reached for a speculative pick in Kosi Pickett.
Point was that a lot of people didn’t rate Butler that highly. A fresh environment can do wonders. Another example - Joel Hamling.

Duggan borderline all Australian this year. Has become a weapon. No way we have the draft equity to get him.

Coleman-Jones interests me.

I actually meant the Brisbane Coleman. I am particularly interested in us getting some indigenous talent so that JUH won't feel isolated.
We've probably been the worst recruiters and developers of indigenous talent in the league.
I want that to change. I would ask about Daniel Rioli also...they can only say no.
But, agree on Coleman-Jones.
You're right on Duggan.

I've brought him up before, but if Hunt is even remotely gettable, we should be chasing him hard. Quicker than almost everyone on our list, a massive kick and better than our other options. Replaces Richards or a resting mid and immediately improves us
Absolutely agree with this. Have always liked the way he goes about it. He has genuine pace, a bit of ticker and is a very reliable shot on goal.
If we had him working with VDM going forward there is some very fast ball entries into the F50.

My ideal trade period would include something like this.

Wb Trade (2020 First + 2021 Second + 2021 Third) to collingwood in exchange for (2021 First + 2020 Second + 2020 Third)
  • On current Ladder 2 2nd Round picks and 2 3rd Round picks value 1720 points (which is just under a pick 3 bid). We probably need another 3rd round pick from somewhere to be safe.
WB Trade (2020 4th round pick + 2021 4th Round pick) to Sydney in exchange for (Ben Ronke)

To get anyone else we would then need to trade some players out.

Personally Schache is gone. JUH the natural replacement/upgrade.
Lewis Young I'd ask to explore options. Gardiner (whether people like it or not) has moved ahead in the pecking order and possibly a DFA could be used to do the same job.
Bailey Dale also to go. He should be able to net us a 3rd which would be invaluable to help get JUH.

Would we have enough trade capital to get JUH, keep 2 firsts for 2021 and add a jayden hunt and callum coleman-jones.
And individually what is Schache, Lewis Young, Bailey Dale worth on the market. Would we get picks inside the top 50 for either of Schache/Young??

You can get around that by doing rookie upgrades, which count as a selection in the draft. That is, by selecting JUH, Raak, and upgrading Gardner, we will satisfy the three draftee requirement without technically 'losing' anything extra.

For example, the below scenario (based on comments about Porter being ready for pre-season and Roarke being in the team) satisfies the two off the main list and two off the rookie list while only delisting 6 players:
Gardner & Roarke to main list (42 main, 2 rookie)
JUH, Raak draft (44 main, 2 rookie)
Retired: Suckling, Dickson (42 main, 2 rookie)
Delisted: Lynch, Gowers, Hayes, Trengove (38 main, 2 rookie)

Could also delist/upgrade one of Sweet/Lachie Young if we wanted to keep Roarke on the rookie list, and keep one of those that was delisted from the main list (e.g. retain Trengove, delist Young), while still meeting the requirements.

Not necessarily what I'd do, but just an example based on where I think it's headed.

Is O’Halloran any better than Louis Butler?

Butler looked good in his games this year.

Bit different in how they play.

Butler's much better defensively but O'Halloran's strength is his contested work and his versatility to also play outside and forward. In terms of marking, both are decent overhead although O'Halloran's well-built and can hold his own man-on-man. Their kicking is similar, under the pressure they're inconsistent but can be penetrating if given time. I haven't seen enough of Butler to fully judge his running ability but O'Halloran has quick acceleration and good endurance, just not a very fast top speed, similar to Bailey Smith in that regard.

I don't think O'Halloran necessarily fills an urgent need for us but if we could get him for a 3rd rounder then he'd be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back