1601015131173.png

Last edited:

Selurs

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2008
In the bank's house
AFL Club
West Coast
My favourite Will Schofield moment was actually really early in his career (looked it up: his 10th game), late in the 135 pt drubbing by Geelong (was that was the one with Bomber Thompson eating a sandwich and chatting with his assistants rather than watching the game?). Schofield was alone in the goal square at the Subi end with Chapman and one other geelong player underneath a long ball coming in.

He had no real reason to fight. The game had maybe two minutes left, we were already down by a record margin, and he was out of position against two experienced players in only his 10th game, but boy did he make it tough for them, bringing the ball to ground initially, then fighting to prevent the goal and eventually smothering the attempted kick at goal to force a behind. I knew right then that he was going to be a keeper, because if he was prepared to fight that hard at that moment then he easily had what it took. One of my favourite Eagles, and hopefully he can go out with another medal in a few weeks!

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Just to add, very happy for him that the headbutt and suspension in round 4 didn't end up being his final moments in the AFL.
Would've been a shocking way to end his career.
Hope he can keep his spot in the finals.
Could end up 2 games short of the double ton...

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Ooo man what a great cult figure he was. Watching a bloke that stands 6'4/6'5 run with the sort of dash out of defence he has is always a joy to watch and one of the great sights of our game. It was semi touched on earlier in the thread but maybe his athletic abilities raised expectations a bit too much. You can't deny there was certainly times when he frustrated fans.

But with that small negative out of the way, the positives are huge. 194 games (plus potentially 4 more) from a pick 50 is a phenomenal result. And there is one thing you will always say about Schoey is he gave it 100% and didn't leave anything out on the field. He put everything on the line for the blue and gold.

We don't need any reminding but it still needs to be said - his biggest contribution was his performance in the 2018 GF. He spent pretty much the entire match under immense pressure from the Collingwood forwards and held up to it time and time again. It was a superb defensive performance and even taking out the context and importance of a grand final and looking at it from just a pure performance, I think it was his best game for the club. As good as player as Sheppard has been for us, had he not got injured there is certainly no guarantee he would've performed as well as Schoey did on GF day.

It will be interesting to see Schoey's next move. Something in the alternative AFL media sphere looks a perfect fit for him. He'd be great in the more traditional AFL media too but he's got too much personality and integrity for those cheap dullards. To be honest, he is the sort of cat where it wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles did a "where are they now" segment in 20 years time and we see he has become a uni professor at Cambridge after sailing solo around the world or something random as * like that.

Farewell sweet prince!

220px-Will_Schofield_celebrating_2018_AFL_Grand_Final.jpg

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I guess this is the best place to re-post Schoey highlights from rd 17 & 18.
He can play a role in the finals if called upon. If not, at least he finished up in characteristic fashion.

Vs Saints
Vs Roos

F*ck I just realised how badly this side is gonna miss his tackling pressure. :'(

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Great clubman and got the best out of himself on field. The 2018 Grand Final performance will live long in the memory. Ever reliable fringe player by his own admission that deserves life membership. Great career.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Players never have a bigger role to play than when/if they make it to the biggest game there is.
And Schoey played the perfect game against Collingwood's most dangerous forward that day - I really don't think it is overstating it to say he was instrumental to our Premiership.
Well deserves the medal he now has at home.

Also that and the sheer power of the Chi from his Aura knocked that ginger flog Oliver to the floor for all to see.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
My favourite Will Schofield moment was actually really early in his career (looked it up: his 10th game), late in the 135 pt drubbing by Geelong (was that was the one with Bomber Thompson eating a sandwich and chatting with his assistants rather than watching the game?). Schofield was alone in the goal square at the Subi end with Chapman and one other geelong player underneath a long ball coming in.

He had no real reason to fight. The game had maybe two minutes left, we were already down by a record margin, and he was out of position against two experienced players in only his 10th game, but boy did he make it tough for them, bringing the ball to ground initially, then fighting to prevent the goal and eventually smothering the attempted kick at goal to force a behind. I knew right then that he was going to be a keeper, because if he was prepared to fight that hard at that moment then he easily had what it took. One of my favourite Eagles, and hopefully he can go out with another medal in a few weeks!

Ha me and a close mate still talk about this and wonder if we were the only nuffies that remember it.

How he performed in the 18 GF after being a fringe player all year is absolutely legendary. Like others have said we don't won that flag without him.

Hoping he plays however many remaining games we have left this year, still has a hell of a lot to offer this finals series imo.

The positive is hopefully more time for podcasting. Backchat with no club restrictions would be absolutely worth listening to

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
I was a few rows back behind the goals at the end the Pies kicked to in the first and 3rd qtrs in the 18 GF. I started the game hoping Schoey was up to it and ended it thinking he was a bloody legend. A greater display of spoiling, bumping, half tackling and accidentally getting the ball over the boundary line you will rarely see. Undoubtedly his greatest game for the club and one he can be immensely proud of for the rest of his days.
Thanks Schoey.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
He has been a very reliable player throughout his 14 seasons at the Eagles. I will always wonder if he could have been a destructive wingman early in his playing days.

Nevertheless, he has adjusted his game throughout his career and his performance in the 2018 grand final was worthy of a Norm Smith Medal.

Congrats Will on a stellar career and may you end it with another premiership medallion around your neck.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Remember back in the late 00s he and Mackenzie were real shining lights despite us getting smashed.

His first few years were really impressive for a skinny defender in a poor team

Back