Strategy So, if a club just decided to walk someone to the PSD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So say Adelaide finished last next year, had pick 1 in the PSD as a result, and say Rakine was out of contract next year after a super season with GC. If Adelaide then decided they wernt going to trade for him, didn't even talk to GC and then walked him through the PSD without any attempt to trade, would the AFL allow that, or is there an expectation that a trade should be attempted? Say the AFL try mediation and the Crows say, not interested in a trade, and walked out, would the AFL let GC lose one of their best talents for nothing?

Could the AFL do anything?

So say Adelaide finished last next year, had pick 1 in the PSD as a result, and say Rakine was out of contract next year after a super season with GC. If Adelaide then decided they wernt going to trade for him, didn't even talk to GC and then walked him through the PSD without any attempt to trade, would the AFL allow that, or is there an expectation that a trade should be attempted? Say the AFL try mediation and the Crows say, not interested in a trade, and walked out, would the AFL let GC lose one of their best talents for nothing?

Don't think so, but remember that clubs have to trade with each other on an ongoing basis. So a club that did not even attempt a trade would not be doing their reputation any favours. Even for PSD in the past in this scenario, some trade options have been offered.

I'm not sure if they could. It would be within the rules.

But it's kind of a moot point, because no club is going to do such a thing. I think there's a very strong element of Mutually Assured Destruction in trading: if one club goes so far just to intentionally screw everyone else over, nobody is going to deal fairly with said club in the future.

He is out of contract at the end of 2022 actually and I think the AFL will scrap the PSD for reasons like you have mentioned.

Step 1 would be convincing Rankine to leave GCS. I wouldn't if I was him

Step 1 would be convincing Rankine to leave GCS. I wouldn't if I was him
Rankine was just a name to show what type of play I was talking about.
It's not about Rankine or the Crows.
It's about a team deliberately not wanting to engage in trading, and if the AFL could or would step in.
I used GC as they had mass exodus of talent, and the optics of them losing one of their best talents like Rankine for nothing would get their ire.
I would expect the AFL would step in, not so much as a halt on the trade etc, but one of their behind the scenes threats they are known for.

Rankine was just a name to show what type of play I was talking about.
It's not about Rankine or the Crows.
It's about a team deliberately not wanting to engage in trading, and if the AFL could or would step in.
I used GC as they had mass exodus of talent, and the optics of them losing one of their best talents like Rankine for nothing would get their ire.
I would expect the AFL would step in, not so much as a halt on the trade etc, but one of their behind the scenes threats they are known for.

This reads remarkably close to being about the Adelaide Crows and Jackson Hately...

We seem to be looking at this arse backwards.

The stated purpose of the PSD is to be a mechanism where players out of contract can put themselves forward to be redrafted.

Full stop.

And I would go as far as to say that if a gun decides he's happy to be picked up by the worst club in the comp then hooray for him, its good for the game. The top half of the ladder has the cards heavily stacked in their favour pretty much all the time.

The PSD route is not somehow immoral or unclean. Any decisions to trade for an uncontracted player are a matter of convenience, and risk management if you can't be sure of the player getting down to your pick.

This reads remarkably close to being about the Adelaide Crows and Jackson Hately...
Nah, I have said many times the Crows shouldn't walk him to the PSD. NO one would give a toss if Hatley went to the PSD. They would care if a top young talent, that was leaving a club the AFL has a vested interest in making successful, was lost for nothing because a club just wanted to get a player for free because they could.
It was a question I had because every year the threat of PSD gets thrown up.

We seem to be looking at this arse backwards.

The stated purpose of the PSD is to be a mechanism where players out of contract can put themselves forward to be redrafted.

Full stop.

And I would go as far as to say that if a gun decides he's happy to be picked up by the worst club in the comp then hooray for him, its good for the game. The top half of the ladder has the cards heavily stacked in their favour pretty much all the time.

The PSD route is not somehow immoral or unclean. Any decisions to trade for an uncontracted player are a matter of convenience, and risk management if you can't be sure of the player getting down to your pick.

Carlton picked up Jack Martin from the cellar dwelling Suns didn't they via the PSD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot depends on the player. He'd probably have to really hate his old club to be in on the plan.
Yep. You'd have to be seriously pissed off with your old club to do over the club and your teammates like that.

It is more likely to happen to the Crows than for the Crows.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Within the rules I have no problem with the bottom side trying to better their team as cheap as possible.

Carlton already did this with Martin and paid him $1m to ensure he got to them

Crows could do it with Hatley this year if they want to

Yeah.. I am not a big fan of the drafts... Any of them. I think there should just be one big auction for footballers, with other mechanisms to give cellar dwelling teams a better opportunity to acquire players as a means of equalisation.

Obviously has its cons. But I think it just creates a fairer market.

Similar to the IPL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back