News AFL to trial new zone rule in second-tier competition next season (Full rule changes inside)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad idea. Before people go all hysterical about this, look up the word 'trial'.

Let's see if it works. I've basically given up watching live football because of the congestion. I'm prepared to look at anything that helps with this.
I don't buy into the idea that congestion equals bad footy, but the way to fix that is surely just getting everything done quicker. It already takes far too long for ruckmen to nominate at stoppages, this is only going to make things longer and give teams more time to setup defensively.

They just need to let the game naturally evolve into being more attacking, which will come from innovative coaching. Changing the rules every season completely *s with the integrity of the game and most of them feel artificial or contrived anyway.

6by 6by6by...

we have a measure of the Gills of the world...
regardless of the number of players... we can degustate with an 18 player perception...

nothing compensates for a wild weather alert..
we have a time for leading with perception..

I have no problem with the AFL trialing rules in lower leagues but I wish they would not worry about the zone and simply go 15 a side. Sure it is a huge change, but it would be a one off change and it would fix so many issues in the AFL, and one big rule change that will work is so much better than 50 small rule changes that might work.

Rule changes to the AFL proper are pretty meh, probably only going to have a marginal effect either way.

Zones I'll give judgement towards (and at least it's only a trial), but I think it'll be sh*t.

The man on the mark rule has the real potential of wrecking games.

One rule change I would be in favour of is a 25m penalty for lesser indiscretions such as running in the protected zone where the offender is not impacting the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL having zones next year will mean that Victorian clubs will be severely disadvantaged with players coming through not match hardened in Mickey-Mouse games.

Unlike this season, it puts an actual asterisk on any non-Vic team winning the flag next year. Can this competition become anymore of a joke?

Actually all Eastern seaboard clubs will be affected.

Footy fans: The game is stuffed something needs to change!

AFL: Alters rules to facilitate change

Footy fans: Leave the bloody game alone!

Yep. I am personally a fan of the 15 a side idea as I think that would make defence much harder and create a much more free flowing game but I am open to the AFL trying new things as something does need to change. I am still annoyed the AFL listened to the complaining when they tried to trial a few rule changes a few years ago, the AFL completely backing down when some old fart ex players and bigfooty posters began complaining.

Feels a bit like a misread of the room to have more 50m penalties for minor offences (lateral movement on the mark)

Did they announce if this was just to make the existing overly harsh rule easier to police?

Yep. I am personally a fan of the 15 a side idea as I think that would make defence much harder and create a much more free flowing game but I am open to the AFL trying new things as something does need to change. I am still annoyed the AFL listened to the complaining when they tried to trial a few rule changes a few years ago, the AFL completely backing down when some old fart ex players and bigfooty posters began complaining.
Surely even those old fart ex players and Big Footy posters would prefer 15 a side rather than zones. At least with the former you get a more open, attacking game without any noticeable difference in the way the game looks or plays.

Surely even those old fart ex players and Big Footy posters would prefer 15 a side rather than zones. At least with the former you get a more open, attacking game without any noticeable difference in the way the game looks or plays.

I think so as well. I think a 15 a side change fixes everything. It creates a lot more space, a lot more running and scoring and makes defensive tactics way harder to implement. It fixes everything and will fix everything for decades.

Problem is people like Kevin Bartlet hate it, and will scream that the game is dead if the AFL tried to make the sport 15 a side, and when people like Kevin Bartlet start having a meltdown about it he has a big enough audience that he can convince a lot of people that 15 a side is the worst thing ever, and then the AFL will do what it always does and backs down.

Australian Rules Football is a 360 degree game with no offside played with the most players on the biggest ground for the longest period of time, which is something I have always thought should be protected. I am now coming around to the idea of fewer players if that’s what’s required, but not zones. The problem with rule changes is they are reacting to what the coaches do so they will always be one step behind. Who knows, maybe in 10 years time coaches will go back to being more attacking? I know in the NBA and NFL there has been an offensive revolution in recent times and they love to takes things from other sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back