Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:

The massive stand-off between the clubs is not Treloar's problem – he will receive the full amount owed to him – but it is looming as a significant total player payments issue for the Bulldogs.

Makes the decision not to trade Dunkley bewildering. I'll laugh if Collingwood screws them.

Hinge would have been handy but he seemingly agreed to go to the crows ages ago so was ever in play.

Egg-Smith I don’t think can actually defend which is why he fell out of favour (similar to Stack) but for free? Yeah, sure, a very good ball user and doesn’t play hero ball like Stack does.

Hinge would have been handy but he seemingly agreed to go to the crows ages ago so was ever in play.

Egg-Smith I don’t think can actually defend which is why he fell out of favour (similar to Stack) but for free? Yeah, sure, a very good ball user and doesn’t play hero ball like Stack does.
Was a deer in the headlights a number of times during the season too. The port game in particular he looked completely out of his depth.

Eggmolese-Smith has no link to Rutten (Truck left before he joined Richmond) but Caracella may mean we have the inside running if we want him?

I remember watching Eggmolester-Smith play this year and thinking the Tigers had another good player on their hands. Would be nice if we had a look.

Makes the decision not to trade Dunkley bewildering. I'll laugh if Collingwood screws them.
Last I checked, Collingwood can't screw them?

Collingwood owe Treloar a termination payout of his base rate for every year left on his Pies contract, plus match payments on the remainder of the contract (to a total of 22 match payments if I'm reading it correctly, not max 22 per remaining year?)

The amount that Collingwood owes Treloar is reduced by the average amount that the Bulldogs agree to pay him, because the Bulldogs are paying him less than what Collingwood promised (if the Bulldogs paid the same or more than Collingwood would get out of the termination payments).

So if the Bulldogs and Treloar sign a contract for $1 per year then Collingwood is on the hook for the other $899,999 🤷‍♀️

Unless I'm reading it wrong?

It's section 17 and 18 of the CBA (pp. 83-85).

Collingwood owe Treloar a termination payout of his base rate for every year left on his Pies contract, plus match payments on the remainder of the contract (to a total of 22 match payments if I'm reading it correctly, not max 22 per remaining year?)

The amount that Collingwood owes Treloar is reduced by the average amount that the Bulldogs agree to pay him, because the Bulldogs are paying him less than what Collingwood promised (if the Bulldogs paid the same or more than Collingwood would get out of the termination payments).

So if the Bulldogs and Treloar sign a contract for $1 per year then Collingwood is on the hook for the other $899,999 🤷‍♀️

Thats how i understood it.

Though i would keep an eye on the Western Bulldogs list changes, there might be some nice players that fall out the back end in the next 12 months now that Treloar is on board and Bontempelli, you imagine, is up for a serious pay rise if they dont want him to hit RFA next year.

Makes the list decision to keep Dunkley all the more perplexing. Stubbornness personified really.

The scenario only applies if Collingwood terminated his contract and the Bulldogs drafted him.

It was a trade so not a termination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats how i understood it.

Though i would keep an eye on the Western Bulldogs list changes, there might be some nice players that fall out the back end in the next 12 months now that Treloar is on board and Bontempelli, you imagine, is up for a serious pay rise if they dont want him to hit RFA next year.

Makes the list decision to keep Dunkley all the more perplexing. Stubbornness personified really.
All of it just seems so dumb, why even bother going after Treloar if they planned on keeping Dunkley? Why do they deal at the last minute if you haven't even finalised who pays what?

Rupert wills any good? Delisted by pies

No, the guy is the epitome of a plodder.

The scenario only applies if Collingwood terminated his contract and the Bulldogs drafted him.

It was a trade so not a termination.
What happens if the trade can't be ratified by the deadline? The transfer doesn't go through and he ends up either staying on Collingwood's books or terminated?

He might be decent...but not for us. He's 27, so not in the group we want to build around.

What happens if the trade can't be ratified by the deadline? The transfer doesn't go through and he ends up either staying on Collingwood's books or terminated?

Staying on Collingwood's books as his contract has been terminated, though I would find it highly unlikely it gets to such a point. Ultimately, the trade has been submitted 'informally' so I would dare say the AFL would tell the dogs stiff s**t.

I can’t believe the trade paperwork doesn’t stipulate payment terms??? Either way you’d think pies are in no position to put the dogs under the thumb. Dogs could surely threaten to send him back and it’s the pies problem??
Yeah I don't see how the Pies can really get out of it. They have the contract, if they can't get the transfer ratified then they still have to honour the contract. Or terminate it and pay him out. Either way they're not in a good spot.

It would be intriguing for the dogs to have a cap squeeze now though. Guess they won't be in a position to renegotiate/extend Dunkley's contract..

Oooh speaking of Dunkley, turns out he and his siblings have a blog (complete with product placements and everything!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back