Opinion What is your opinion about the club not signing Luke Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have any problems with us not picking him up because we don't rate him that highly

However I do have a problem with us choosing one year of Mackay over him, especially if he does get drafted to another club. If anyone is drafting him, it should be us with a free hit, especially instead of Mackay
You should've stopped after your first sentence.

This isn't, and has never been about Mackay

I understand the sentiment, but - we're adding Hately, Hinge and 5x draftees to the senior list (I'm assuming one of them is Borlase), and possibly Newchurch as a Cat B. Moving on any of those players - including Mackay - would just mean we'd have to take one more draft pick (at 40+) (or maybe a rookie?). Instead of using / filling those list spots in 2021 with higher draft picks. IMO we need list vacancies in 2021 more than we need Edwards on the list now, and that seems to be the way the club sees it.
This is a good argument. Edwards v a 2021 player.

He most likely has interest from other clubs to be picked up in the ND, and club doesn't rate him highly enough, so both parties seem happy to let it play out the way it has. Luke seemed slightly disappointed to not be nominated, probably because it means moving away interstate and he has an SA girlfriend. I'm neutral about it. Would've been nice to have a F/S that might have a career though.

I hope you're right. But both being on a list isn't out of the question.
Nah even for DMac it's unlikely.

I hope Luke gets a go somewhere, but with too many of his type I can totally see why we haven't guarenteed him a spot.

I hope you're right. But both being on a list isn't out of the question.
Nah even for DMac it's unlikely.

I hope Luke gets a go somewhere, but with too many of his type I can totally see why we haven't guarenteed him a spot.

Of course it is. We chose him over a spot for a late/rookie type prospect which is what Edwards is
We could quite easily have done several things that gave Luke a spot to the list.

We didn't, because we don't rate his talent.

This is about Luke Edwards, and some sad posters here who can't let things go.

I think a fair chunk of the reasoning is that the Edwards' camp didn't want the nomination as they felt it would make other clubs hold back bidding.
After their petulant behaviour last time I wouldn't be surprised.

We could quite easily have done several things that gave Luke a spot to the list.

We didn't, because we don't rate his talent.

This is about Luke Edwards, and some sad posters here who can't let things go.

What things could we have done?

We delisted all of our other out of contract players. Who is getting cut to make room for Edwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He and the family would be high maintenance - there'd be a drama everyone time he was not selected or dropped or played out of position etc. I'd be prepared to wear that if he was a champion player but not for a middle of the road guy. Say what you like about Mackay, and there's plenty to say, but at least he's low maintenance.

What things could we have done?

We delisted all of our other out of contract players. Who is getting cut to make room for Edwards?
We could've traded out players, we could've delisted Ben Davis and paid out his tiny contract, we didn't have to re-contract others.

This decision wasn't made in the last 2 weeks. We've got enough half backs who we can't fit in already.... So sure let's add one more.

I think a fair chunk of the reasoning is that the Edwards' camp didn't want the nomination as they felt it would make other clubs hold back bidding.
That's different to what the lad himself said. Said he was disappointed not to have been nominated by Adelaide but he was happy to go anywhere to play AFL footy. I think the main reason was with us taking only 4 certain picks they didn't have him inside that range on their board.

I still don't see a negative from a club perspective in nominating him. If he's bid on and we don't' want to match, then don't match.
Because if he's NOT bid on and he is still there at our last ND pick, we HAVE to take him on the main list.

At least, that's what they say at AFL.com.au:

"The nominating club can select the eligible player by forfeiting its next available pick in the draft if a bid has been made by another club. If there is no bid from another club, the nominating club forfeits its last pick in the National Draft"

Presumably, we felt we may want to do other things with our last pick ...

Because if he's NOT bid on and he is still there at our last ND pick, we HAVE to take him on the main list.

At least, that's what they say at AFL.com.au:

"The nominating club can select the eligible player by forfeiting its next available pick in the draft if a bid has been made by another club. If there is no bid from another club, the nominating club forfeits its last pick in the National Draft"

Presumably, we felt we may want to do other things with our last pick ...
No we don't. We take him on the rookie list...oh wait, it's full...

We could've traded out players, we could've delisted Ben Davis and paid out his tiny contract, we didn't have to re-contract others.

This decision wasn't made in the last 2 weeks. We've got enough half backs who we can't fit in already.... So sure let's add one more.
I wouldn't be pigeon holing him solely as a half back, he's looked capable the times he's had a run through the midfield and even showed a bit in one game when he had a stint forward.

Of course it is. We chose him over a spot for a late/rookie type prospect which is what Edwards is
No, arrowman is right.

We chose to keep Mackay for a year instead of Edwards or another late ND draftee for two.

We clearly want to time when people are coming off contract.

Remember all the excitement of the past year or so of getting talents Edwards, Borlase and Newchurch on the cheap, what a huge steal.

May take none of them now!
That's the AFC way yet PA looks like getting a couple this year and after taking a few last season and season before.

I wouldn't be pigeon holing him solely as a half back, he's looked capable the times he's had a run through the midfield and even showed a bit in one game when he had a stint forward.
I don't see him as a midfielder at AFL level.

I think he'll get a gig somewhere on the rookie list, and good luck if he does

That's the AFC way yet PA looks like getting a couple this year and after taking a few last season and season before.
Who was the gun NGA Port got last year ??

They'll get one this year in Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back