NO TROLLS Transgender Discrimination AFL Lawsuit

Remove this Banner Ad

What if 22 did. And they all played for the same team.
Even this is ridiculous. You'll be lucky find 22 transgender women that want to play AFLW in the next 20 years, let alone 22 that are men who failed to make it to the AFL and are grasping some crazy attempt to play professional sports.

I've no doubt the issue of transgender women in AFLW will crop up, but the issue of men transitioning purely to become successful women's sportsmen... Like I said earlier, not gonna say never, but very very rare.

It’s a can of worms. The women's game is growing so fast at the moment that something like this could halt momentum. I can see actual girls and their parents not wanting them to play against males identifying as females. The AFL has a duty of care to all female players now and into the future. Big call ahead.

A majority of AFLW players don't want to compete against Mouncey. That's why it's interesting, the AFL won't be rolling over.

They can say what they like.

Unlike movies in real life we don't have to suspend disbelief. Quite clearly it was a man.

85kgs hitting 55kgs will cause more damage than 60kgs hitting 55kgs.

I'm betting Mouncey was either a super bog average footballer with no great pace or they held back many times so they didn't hurt anyone.

Having played against women in a football style game you become acutely aware of just how much damage you could wreak if you went in full boar. That constant awareness means you're always holding well back.

So you’re not basing it on what Hannah Mouncey has actually demonstrated as a player over multiple seasons playing in a woman’s competition but based upon your own experiences?

I don’t have a solid opinion either way on the topic—but I think we need to analyse this on facts and not your anecdotal experience.

A majority of AFLW players don't want to compete against Mouncey. That's why it's interesting, the AFL won't be rolling over.

Source?

There’s quite a large percentage of the AFLW competition that have already played with her or against her during Hannah’s time playing VFLW.

Even this is ridiculous. You'll be lucky find 22 transgender women that want to play AFLW in the next 20 years, let alone 22 that are men who failed to make it to the AFL and are grasping some crazy attempt to play professional sports.

I've no doubt the issue of transgender women in AFLW will crop up, but the issue of men transitioning purely to become successful women's sportsmen... Like I said earlier, not gonna say never, but very very rare.

5 years ago there was 1 game a year. Now there are how many teams ?

5 years ago how many netballers thought they'd be playing Aussie Rules ?

So you’re not basing it on what Hannah Mouncey has actually demonstrated as a player over multiple seasons playing in a woman’s competition but based upon your own experiences?

I don’t have a solid opinion either way on the topic—but I think we need to analyse this on facts and not your anecdotal experience.

Facts aren't relevant.

A biological girl/woman can say its unfair or she feels uncomfortable and they will get told their opinion is irrelevant and they are transphobic.

I'll have a quick look. Not a headline as such, but discreet remarks in prior articles about Mouncey's attempts to join the AFLW.

Stuff like this:
Of the six AFLW players I spoke to around this issue, five felt strongly that transgender athletes shouldn’t be allowed to compete in the AFLW or VFLW and one was not sure. But all six felt uncomfortable about commenting on it publicly for fear of being labelled bigots, or for appearing to be insensitive to Hannah and the transgender community more generally.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/are-some-more-equal-than-others-20180507-p4zdus.html

In an explosive post in the Star Observer this month, Mouncey said she refused a management request to use a separate changeroom because female teammates felt uncomfortable with her presence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-kicked-Australias-womens-handball-team.html

If opposition wasn't coming from the players, there would be no reason for the AFL to block it.

Last edited:
The AFL has many other sports it can look to for precedents.

There are 2 main arguments:
Is it safe?
Is it fair?

I'd say the answer to both is a solid no for a full contact sport like AFL.

But its a complicated area which isn't an exact science and its a heated topic which many people hold strong beliefs about.

What other sports have acted to address the issue, thats address it, not just bat it about like the IOC.

5 years ago there was 1 game a year. Now there are how many teams ?

5 years ago how many netballers thought they'd be playing Aussie Rules ?
Are you seriously suggesting there will be swathes of men who transition to women to play semi professionals women's sport?

Enough to make up a team? Seriously? Cause that's what you seemed to suggest with this....

Of course all the boys wouldnt.

What if 22 did. And they all played for the same team.

Last edited:
horses for courses with no one rule of "yes" or "no"

rather asses each case as they do the olympics and then add safety as priority, such as size, as they do in boxing

There needs to be a place for all people in sport but we categorise for a reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start a Trans comp so they can play among themselves and those who have any interest can follow/watch it if they so desire.

I'm not sure if exclusion is the way to go. Even blacks are allowed to sit in the front of the bus and all these days!

I'm not sure if exclusion is the way to go. Even blacks are allowed to sit in the front of the bus and all these days!
I look forward to Usain Bolt running in the 100m and 200m Paralympics because he decided to have a finger removed.

Slippery slope this one.
This is a huge minefield.
I think this is a very difficult issue.
It really isn't. Only needs to be as complicated as the AFL decides to make it.

Ultimately the rules to play AFLW are there and clear enough (though far more lenient than the zero tolerance approach I would take), so the issue is already settled. This latest attention grab comes after the AFL also wisely changed the rules for state league football to mirror the AFLW rules during 2020.

So presumably half the people here ween't ok with Aaron Davey playing against Aaron Sandilands
Why do we need a women's league at all then.

Well, for starters, Aaron Davey wasn't 5-times more likely to suffer a ruptured ACL than the average male footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back