2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the third man up rule for the ruck ... Has increased the importance of having a good ruck group. And anyone who says they don't have to nominate for the ruck hasn't thought it through.

Those saying that the new man on the mark rule is rubbish and easy to get around ... I'm gonna wait and see. I think you are wrong if you think that standing a few metres back allows you total freedom, that's not how I read it. I'm not sure if it is a good rule or not, need to see it in action.

6 - 6 - 6 wasn't a bad change.

No arm chop is a good rule.

We should use 25m for heaps of rules to make it easier for umpires.

Would prefer a 25m penalty than a 50m.

25m for a mark.

25m before you have to bounce.

I'd also like to see the goal square replaced with a 25m arc for kick-ins. Make the forwards kick over the mark wherever they are (ie no more moving them around coz the mark in the square)

I'll just be glad to see some new games. If I have to watch those last 4 games of 2020 many more times I'll go a bit Vossy.

Yes, an AFL appointed committee.

I suspect the AFL tell them 'we want higher scoring and less stoppages', so the committee comes up with ideas to limit all contact.

If they want less stoppages, here it is, really simple and no new rules:

When a pack forms, don't wait for players to 'knock the ball on, or get it out of there, just blow the whistle IMMEDIATELY. Players must return the ball within 3 seconds, or the player on top of the pack not allowing the ball to released gives away a free for time wasting.

The umpire doesn't look around, mark their path out of the contest, or wait for ruck nominations. They IMMEDIATELY throw the ball up and back out towards the boundary line. This means players don't have time to get to the contest to congest it.
It was tongue in cheek.
I still have no idea how multiple people can come up with such dumb ideas

The AFL have said the closest player is then defined as standing the mark. Will be interesting if a player is on the wing 50m clear, decides to go back on the mark. A player 50m away will then have to stand still!

Laughable!
Wow that's even dumber and more unworkable than I thought

And if a player is streaming past to get into position, or chasing an opponent like a tag, but is deemed to be the closest player, will he be called back to stand the mark?

Get all the players to clear out of the allowable 5m space and have nobody standing the mark.

it will be a waste of a player being made to be stagnant standing the mark. The player with the ball will find it so easy to play on anyway because the player on the mark can’t even move off the spot before play on is called, you might as well get that player into a position where he can at minimum move around to at least cut off the kicker’s diagonal options, albeit from 5m away.

The rule is a joke, just like the amateur hour AFL.

I like the third man up rule for the ruck ... Has increased the importance of having a good ruck group. And anyone who says they don't have to nominate for the ruck hasn't thought it through.

Those saying that the new man on the mark rule is rubbish and easy to get around ... I'm gonna wait and see. I think you are wrong if you think that standing a few metres back allows you total freedom, that's not how I read it. I'm not sure if it is a good rule or not, need to see it in action.

6 - 6 - 6 wasn't a bad change.

No arm chop is a good rule.

We should use 25m for heaps of rules to make it easier for umpires.

Would prefer a 25m penalty than a 50m.

25m for a mark.

25m before you have to bounce.

I'd also like to see the goal square replaced with a 25m arc for kick-ins. Make the forwards kick over the mark wherever they are (ie no more moving them around coz the mark in the square)

I'll just be glad to see some new games. If I have to watch those last 4 games of 2020 many more times I'll go a bit Vossy.
Some good points - I think there needs to be a prenominated ruck, so only they can go for the hit out. Then we don't have to see Ray on TV trying to work out if Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy are going to be competing the ruck for 20s while their team mates flood the area.

Totally agree on the 25m, but that's a SANFL thing so won't come in.

Arm chop - good rule
25m for a mark - open to even more errors than 15m
25m before a bounce...you'll never see a bounce again
The goal square is irrelevant anyway with the new kick in rules
Agree forwards should be treated like backs - you get the same time to kick the ball regardless of where you are on the ground.

Introduction of the 2nd centre circle for ruck contests worked well too, significantly reducing the number of knee injuries from ruck contests - as it was designed to do.

I also think that the recent (stricter) interpretation of deliberate out of bounds has worked well.
Still hoping the SANFL "last touch" rule comes in eventually.

Interesting article...the Giants are only doing 3 football sessions per week? Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Aren't these guys full time? Unless that's 3 x 9 hour football sessions, seems a little light on to me.

Fitness, game plan, recovery...what else do they do?

... injury management. ;)

And if a player is streaming past to get into position, or chasing an opponent like a tag, but is deemed to be the closest player, will he be called back to stand the mark?

Get all the players to clear out of the allowable 5m space and have nobody standing the mark.

it will be a waste of a player being made to be stagnant standing the mark. The player with the ball will find it so easy to play on anyway because the player on the mark can’t even move off the spot before play on is called, you might as well get that player into a position where he can at minimum move around to at least cut off the kicker’s diagonal options, albeit from 5m away.

The rule is a joke, just like the amateur hour AFL.
I wonder which team will be the worst at adapting to it?

It's the type of rule that will start strong, get paid often, cause a heap of outrage, then get scaled back to non-existent by the end of the season.

Just need Richmond or Geelong to lose a game as a result of an infringement late in a match and that will be all she wrote.

So I'm guessing this ...(at around 0.30 in the clip)... even though it was 'illegal' at the time, won't be seen any more.

Sort of takes away some comedy from the game.

or this one

Post of the Day, beaten by the very next post.

Gosh they were good times. If youre not concentrating those goal celebrations look identical.

The AFL have said the closest player is then defined as standing the mark. Will be interesting if a player is on the wing 50m clear, decides to go back on the mark. A player 50m away will then have to stand still!

Laughable!

Didnt the Pies use Mason Cox to always stand the mark to make it harder for opposition players shooting for goal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

I reckon Nil is a better player than Mason Cox.

Re: The Elite list .................. Chad Wingard? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

So let me get this straight

Charlie Cameron - not elite

Mason Cox - elite

Lachie Whitfield - not elite

Steven Motlop - elite

"Jeremy Cameron mate, I'm so sorry, but 420 goals over the last 9 seasons doesn't cut it for an elite player"

"Oh yeah, well I assume you just had better players to put in that category...?"

"Yeah mate, we had to fit in Zac Fisher, Mason Cox, Oscar Allen, Harry Perryman and Chad Wingard"

"You *in wat"

"Jeremy Cameron mate, I'm so sorry, but 420 goals over the last 9 seasons doesn't cut it for an elite player"

"Oh yeah, well I assume you just had better players to put in that category...?"

"Yeah mate, we had to fit in Zac Fisher, Mason Cox, Oscar Allen, Harry Perryman and Chad Wingard"

"You fu**in wat"
Geelong paid 3 first rounders, imagine what they’d have to pay for the others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back