Strategy Which clubs will adapt better to the new spending environment, and which will suffer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if every industry decided to come out the other side of cv19 with 30% less staff?

will we also have 30% less umpires bench stewards etc? The fats not just at clubs

Financial results have come in with some interesting results.

North and the Dogs made profits and paid down debt.

Other clubs recorded massive losses.

It is clear the "arms race" days of spending are over for a while.

How this will translate into spending across footy depts will be interesting.

I suspect clubs with advanced W programs will benefit by being able to build synergies there - that's where govt funding is going.

Is there a page with all the results?
I'd be interested too - a one pager would be nice for fans to see, and the AFL should really be producing it along with their own financial reporting. Can only find individual reports.

Dogs, Carlton, Brisbane and Geelong look to have made the biggest profits from what I can find.
North made a small-ish profit, but also reduced debt so overall they got through this season quite well.

Others like the Saints have increased debt by a larger amount than their operating profit.
The Pies ($1.8m loss), Melbourne ($3m loss) and Sydney ($6.1m loss) had absolutely shocking results.

I'd be interested too - a one pager would be nice for fans to see, and the AFL should really be producing it along with their own financial reporting. Can only find individual reports.

Dogs, Carlton, Brisbane and Geelong look to have made the biggest profits from what I can find.
North made a small-ish profit, but also reduced debt so overall they got through this season quite well.

Others like the Saints have increased debt by a larger amount than their operating profit.
The Pies ($1.8m loss), Melbourne ($3m loss) and Sydney ($6.1m loss) had absolutely shocking results.

How did Geelong, Carlton and the Dogs make a big profit?

Brisbane I understand and Sydney's loss is understandable.

Pies are not a well run club and neither is Melbourne.

Our revenue overall dropped substantially ($34.6m, down from $44.8m in 2019) but so did membership expenses (as you'd expect), football department expenses and various administration costs. I believe Carlton saw huge growth in membership as well as merchandise sales, although I won't even begin to pretend I know much about the profitability of the club, or Geelong for that matter.

Dogs have a very strong asset base, and it was actually the club's 7th consecutive profit, so it wasn't exactly out of the ordinary. Also happened to sell out of the pokies this year. While the Pies and Melbourne are poorly run clubs, the Dogs are fortunate to be the opposite - despite being a small club with a low membership base, the club is run by some extremely qualified people. Gordon stepped aside as president this year, only to be succeeded by Kylie Watson-Wheeler, who happens to run the Australia/New Zealand arm of Disney. If it weren't for the people we have on our board, we'd have folded a long time ago.

I should clarify as I initially misread - Geelong made an operating profit, but a statutory loss. So the result wasn't as strong as I originally thought, but as a positive, you did exit pokies this year without counting the proceeds from the sale in this year's results. That means you should expect 2021 to show much stronger returns

The last thing we need is another PR piece from the AFL. Wait until we see what really happened with the AFL, when all the numbers are published.

How much will north pay Paul Roos? I would have thought that was the type of ting clubs could cut out.

Dunno - but at the same time, we're also getting a hugely experienced bloke on the cheap by paying him as a consultant.

I totally know what you mean though.

Financial results have come in with some interesting results.

North and the Dogs made profits and paid down debt.

Other clubs recorded massive losses.

It is clear the "arms race" days of spending are over for a while.

How this will translate into spending across footy depts will be interesting.

I suspect clubs with advanced W programs will benefit by being able to build synergies there - that's where govt funding is going.

I wouldn't read too much into one, highly unusual year.

Bigger clubs would cost more to chance direction....more staff and more/bigger pre existing contracts, and every club will have it's own, unique set of circumstances.

You're kidding yourself if you think the arms race would be over though. Clubs that think they can get an advantage will do so. (and the money spent in previous years will frequently still be at play).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this tweet from Stevo was interesting.

It is going to be fascinating to see which clubs can adapt best to the new footy reality.

Remodelling footy departments on the run mid-season is going to be difficult.

The days of this:

View attachment 874835

are no longer.

On the surface of it, clubs that spend less on their footy departments are going to experience less disruption.

But it may not work that way - the clubs with the best people in their footy departments will be best placed to adapt to the new reality, regardless of who they are.

Will some clubs struggle? Will some thrive?

Well Richmond didn't suffer from it, thanks Stevo

You're kidding yourself if you think the arms race would be over though. Clubs that think they can get an advantage will do so. (and the money spent in previous years will frequently still be at play).

???

The AFL isn't putting that soft cap back up any time soon.

???

The AFL isn't putting that soft cap back up any time soon.

Don't tell me you're so naive as to think that clubs don't spend money (legitimately) outside both the hard and soft caps on things that are expected to improve on field performance.

Also, just because there is a cap doesn't mean all clubs can spend the full amount.

Don't tell me you're so naive as to think that clubs don't spend money (legitimately) outside both the hard and soft caps on things that are expected to improve on field performance.

Also, just because there is a cap doesn't mean all clubs can spend the full amount.

AFL was hugely worried about the footy dept arms race before COVID.

COVID gave it perfect excuse to do what it couldn't before.

Is a key equalisation measure now.

Yes clubs will find ways and already are but the old days of just $$$ are over for a while.

As I said, clubs with strong W programs will be best placed here to maximise their $$$

What SimpletonBTDOB is trying to say is North is going to be in a great position because they have a strong W program.

What SimpletonBTDOB is trying to say is North is going to be in a great position because they have a strong W program.
WTF with the name calling and abuse.

‘’The poster expressed an opinion that you resort to name calling instead of offering a reasoned rebuttal of.

Care to explain why our AFLW team won’t improve our bottom line?

Cheers for that.

Could someone tell me if we are the pauper club that Bay 13 and Croc Media say we are?

Or are we travelling well.

Youve got yourselves out of debt without pokie assistance. So no. Not a rich club, sure. But no debt is a good place to be in. Not every club has to be big as long as they can manage their finances, which North are doing. Id like to see their disequal assistance gradually reduced from this point though.

Lies, lies and damned statics. I wouldn’t believe anything any club puts out- it’s like my tax return. Not entirely wrong but never quite right either. Sometimes a loss is just a loss that year but next year it’s a gain. Sometimes a gain this year is a loss next year. It’s why we have AGMs. Smart people read the financials and see if it passes the sniff test. Member revolts are a better way of understanding a club’s financial position rather than nuts and bolts figures

WTF with the name calling and abuse.

‘’The poster expressed an opinion that you resort to name calling instead of offering a reasoned rebuttal of.

Care to explain why our AFLW team won’t improve our bottom line?
Never suggested North AFLW wouldn’t improve your bottom line. Reckon it’s your men’s team that will drag things down.

AFL was hugely worried about the footy dept arms race before COVID.

Were they?

Or did North fans wish they were and deluded themselves that the AFL thinks the way they do?

The AFL cares about money. If they really wanted to balance out the $$$ race, we'd see clubs like North playing regularly on Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back