Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd kill for someone to overthrow Gill and to say, "For the first time in more than 10 seasons, we will not be making alterations to the competition rules this season. Further to this, we will not be making alterations for the rules for the next 5 seasons, so that we can evaluate the current rules with a sample size that allows us to see if the current ruleset is working as intended."

Seriously. You'd see fan engagement improve, umpiring improve, play improve, purely off the back of letting teams train in a single ruleset for 5 seasons.
The changes are so unnecessary this year. Last season we reduced the game time without reducing the interchange allowing teams to defend better. We also played a larger number of game at night mainly in QLD making much of it unwatchable. Should have just gone back to normal.

The changes are so unnecessary this year. Last season we reduced the game time without reducing the interchange allowing teams to defend better. We also played a larger number of game at night mainly in QLD making much of it unwatchable. Should have just gone back to normal.
I really wouldn't have wanted to see the injury toll on players forced to play off consecutive 4 day breaks, or playing three games within 10 days as occurred several times, if last year's games were full length.

Any reasoning for this or "just coz" as usual? Wondering if they are going to immediately whistle for play on if the player with the ball deviates? Ie. wants to chip kick to the left but decides not to or has a 'natural' arc run up when kicking for goal?

Can absolutely see some howlers coming from this and don't see why it's needed.

The rules committee is essentially RND departments of the AFL. Always coming up with something 'new' and 'improved' things for the sake of it rather than it actually being beneficial to anyone, simply to justify their existence and job. I have never spoken to anyone who agrees the AFL constantly doing this is a good thing. Not once.

Think the target outcome is more kicking into the corridor and less defensive flooding.

The first is made more viable because they player on the mark can't move inboard to cut off that short pass. The second because one aspect of defensive flooding is the player on the mark sprinting deeper into defence as a teammate from behind the mark comes in to take that position.

As per usual with the AFL, though, they won't have given much thought to other flow-on effects and we'll likely see some ridiculous situations unfold that they then need to readjust to compensate for.

If I'm a coach, I'm telling the player on the mark to refuse to stand the mark. Just sit a couple of meters off and of the umpire tells you the mark is closer just ignore them. Until they call "Stand" you're free to go wherever you want.

I also think the shuffle inboard is so ingrained in players from a very young age, that there will be plenty who do it instinctively and get pinged with 50m penalties. I'd like to see them reintroduce a 20m penalty for some of the dinky little things like that, and save the 50m penalty for something really blatant or dangerous.

I also think the shuffle inboard is so ingrained in players from a very young age, that there will be plenty who do it instinctively and get pinged with 50m penalties. I'd like to see them reintroduce a 20m penalty for some of the dinky little things like that, and save the 50m penalty for something really blatant or dangerous.

There will be one team that gets absolutely reamed by that rule come Thursday Night 18th March.

;)

You forgot that they can't all play mid.

Dow, Stocker, Kennedy, Fish, Cuningham, Walsh, SPS, O'Brien... that's already 8 mentioned players there which is typically more than what we'd have in the 22 (3 in the square, 2 wings, 2 on the bench). Then there's those others we'd probably like to fit in like Cripps, Ed, Setterfield, Newnes, Murphy, etc...

This is true. And I'm not sure what the solution is.

But the broader point here is that there are very few of the young guys we've successfully developed through to being a real star player since the rebuild began. Weit is close, McKay is getting there and Curnow would be there if not for injuries I guess.

Hopefully it happens this year but we need these guys pushing AA spots, not getting backed out the exit door.

Is it talent or development? I think Fisher, Kennedy, Dow, O'Brien, etc. have a lot more talent than their on-field output suggests at this point. Clearly they all have the talent to be extremely good AFL players.

Umpire will call "Stand!" when a player is on the mark. From that point on, the player cannot move in any direction (except to jump on the spot) until the player disposes of the ball or the umpire calls play on. No east/west movement to try and cut off the corridor, no moving back and then running at the player taking the kick to throw them off, no swapping with another player.

Get the intent, but its gonna make for some really weird situations where teams just have a player stay 3-4m ahead of the mark to avoid having the umpire call stand, and I can pretty well guarantee they'll call some horrendous 50m penalties early until public pressure forces them to adjust.

and then claim they havent changed the rule because of public pressure, the players have adapted :rolleyes:

I really wouldn't have wanted to see the injury toll on players forced to play off consecutive 4 day breaks, or playing three games within 10 days as occurred several times, if last year's games were full length.
The shorter games were necessary for last years lightning premiership. Surely we are not counting Richmond's win as an actual premiership?

I'd kill for someone to overthrow Gill and to say, "For the first time in more than 10 seasons, we will not be making alterations to the competition rules this season. Further to this, we will not be making alterations for the rules for the next 5 seasons, so that we can evaluate the current rules with a sample size that allows us to see if the current ruleset is working as intended."

Seriously. You'd see fan engagement improve, umpiring improve, play improve, purely off the back of letting teams train in a single ruleset for 5 seasons.
Watch some older games on Footy Classics recently. The games were much more open because there was a focus on positional play. These frustrating tinkering with inconsequential rules (until smashed with 50 metres) will continue to do very little to increase scoring. It will take a massive change that is left to simmer for a few years at least like enforcing positional alignments or restricting player movements. Keep numbers inside the 50 m arcs or in particular halves to open up the field. Rambling, maybe. It was nice to reflect on stay at home forwards with space to lead into.

Can see a few less organised sides or those with poor defensive running/structures to get caught napping early in 2021 due to the MOTM rule.

Hopefully we're well-drilled and Saad/SPS can take advantage of a few slower sides. Then its all up to Harry and co. to finish it off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch some older games on Footy Classics recently. The games were much more open because there was a focus on positional play. These frustrating tinkering with inconsequential rules (until smashed with 50 metres) will continue to do very little to increase scoring. It will take a massive change that is left to simmer for a few years at least like enforcing positional alignments or restricting player movements. Keep numbers inside the 50 m arcs or in particular halves to open up the field. Rambling, maybe. It was nice to reflect on stay at home forwards with space to lead into.
You don't even really need to go back that far. Check out our play in 2009-2011, under Rats. Plenty of space in which to run, plenty of space to lead and to make leads.

Can see a few less organised sides or those with poor defensive running/structures to get caught napping early in 2021 due to the MOTM rule.

Hopefully we're well-drilled and Saad/SPS can take advantage of a few slower sides. Then its all up to Harry and co. to finish it off.
Not just that, the cut down interchange could really be a boon for us given Ed, Walsh, Gibbons, Casboult, Charlie (when he gets out there) etc.

What was that thread called? The one about the long runners?

Edit: here it was:

Last edited:
You don't even really need to go back that far. Check out our play in 2009-2011, under Rats. Plenty of space in which to run, plenty of space to lead and to make leads.
Coaches have evolved and become risk averse since then. I know flooding was a thing then but, it was a select few kicking off the trend, particularly Lyon with St. Kilda. Structures dominate the league no rather than one on one footy. Most coaches would rather limit the opposition that outscore them. Not limited to AFL either, NBA does the same with outlier coaches like Mike D'Antoni seem as rebels bucking the system.
I just want the game to open up and allow talented players to win games rather than the coaches chess match.

Will be interesting to see how Doc/Saad and SPS combine to transition the ball ...SPS has time to develop an A grade game - he has the ability - lots and lots of competition for on-ball spots ...I would rather we stack the midfield with talented mongrels- which is what Teague is going for - watch Walsh/Williams/Martin light it up this year in combination around the ball...

absolutely nailed the trades this year imo.
Yes we have the list this time to comfortably hold off on a 50:50 win loss ratio keeping injuries in check we can perhaps put some real pressure on the top eight...obviously this team the blues now trains hard,as in former times ....i am seeing just from the training pics a lot of grit...they are looking tough
and thats a very good sign..

Our forward line seems to be a little dysfunctional. We have the talent, but it just hasn't quite clicked all together.

Can we recruit Adelaide's forward coach from a few years ago? He had them kicking big scores... ;)

Last edited:
There will be one team that gets absolutely reamed by that rule come Thursday Night 18th March.

;)

just wait for...

1. The umpires to apply it inconsistently.

For the purposes of banter, absolutely not. Otherwise, a flag is a flag.
I think to tell them that an asterix next to 2020 flag is enough to annoy the beejeezes out of the FERAL ONES .

Works a treat with my rabid mate when Trent Cochins brownlow is brought up . ;) :laughv1:

Watson had to give it up and he shared it with Sam Mitchell , so really!!!! :p

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back